Can I slap docking ports on anything or are there certain constraints? (pics inside)

I've heard that there are problems with certain parts if they're between the docking port and the root capsule. The octogonal cubic strut is one of the parts, I'm not sure about the girder struts you're using there. Has something to do with a bug or inability to reverse it's stacking when the ship reorganizes itself when it docks.

Had to push back my plans for a couple of days but finally got around to give it a go.

Here is the result:

8585542_ksp-2013-05-02-01-47-55-85.jpg 8585543_ksp-2013-05-02-01-48-49-35.jpg

So it does work! I even squeezed a rotating actuator between the truss and the docking port. Saves me the hassle of aligning the ship for docking at least on one axis. :)

OP, what exactly are you building there? That is an awful lot of RCS ports and (what looks like) your own custom LFO-powered control system. Nice!

But what is it?

Well the RCS ports and the LFO-powered control system (I assume you are talking about the Liquid Engine Thrusters - couldn't find any information on that abbreviation ;) ) are merely a measure to enable maneuverability of my rocket during ascent and in vacuum since I am employing parts with a 5m diameter. The purpose of this whole station comes down to being a refueling station primarily. I haven't really put much thought in the big picture.

Well the RCS ports and the LFO-powered control system (I assume you are talking about the Liquid Engine Thrusters - couldn't find any information on that abbreviation ;) ) are merely a measure to enable maneuverability of my rocket during ascent and in vacuum since I am employing parts with a 5m diameter. The purpose of this whole station comes down to being a refueling station primarily. I haven't really put much thought in the big picture.

I see, and yes, LFO stands for "Liquid Fuel/Oxidizer" by the way. I just can't get over how well made your little control system is. It's just so novel...

Thanks for noticing. Didn't know Its the novelty you make it out to be. :) Especially since there is a mod around that adds "Throttle Control Steering" to VTOL engines: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/draktec-vtol-engines/

Without that mod any efforts of mine in that direction would have been fruitless.

I like the sound of that mod.. Though it seriously needs to be vanilla... Like why do we have to run the engines all at the same throttle? VTOL would be so much easier that way.

Using this mod once you flip the "Throttle Control Steering" switch on your VTOL engines they work as long as the actual engines are activated. They do not depend on RCS activated nor on any sort of throttling. So what you do is you assign two action groups to actually putting the engines in "Throttle Control Steering" and one action group for toggling the engines. That way you have full control. Its a bit of chore going through the action group list with a lot of those engines even when placed in symmetry > 1.

I thought it would be convenient to use this thread instead of starting a new one, so here's my problem:

I cannot attach docking ports to any structural part (octagonal struts for example) because when something docks to ports attached to any structural part (anything that is not a tank, pod, or probe core) it bugs the entire ship and breaks it apart like the kraken would do, any ideas?

I thought it would be convenient to use this thread instead of starting a new one, so here's my problem:

I cannot attach docking ports to any structural part (octagonal struts for example) because when something docks to ports attached to any structural part (anything that is not a tank, pod, or probe core) it bugs the entire ship and breaks it apart like the kraken would do, any ideas?

one thing for sure, make sure a.s.a. is off

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.