Simple form of multiplayer, some development questions

Forced1988

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward for co-op/multiplayer KSP. Yet as far I'm reading this, it seems like this topic is mostly Time Warp in MP.

So I'm thinking about using TimeWarp in MP, this requires lots of communications and schedule to other players that a player needs to use timewarp. When a player is schedule to use timewarp from planet to orbit, all other players need to park their craft that won't collide into something and wait till player is done using Timewarp. Or if we can't use time warp then players will have to make their schedule with multiple crafts. like build 1 craft trip to jool that will require several hours or days and program their craft to orbit the planet when arrived and using another craft to work on base on Mun just to have fun playing ksp while jool craft still traveling.

- Hoolgan, I think I had the same idea about the live feed. all players are in ghost mode then when 1 player puts up the spacestation then submit to the server then other players will have player1's spacestaton in their tracking station. Other players can dock their ship to player 1's station, again they all need to communicate and schedule which docking port will be reserved for players craft that can fit to certain port.

I was wondering, are there list goals for project KSP+MP, like "TimeWarp", "MOD Parts", "Physics", "Players spawn on KSC" topics for KSP+MP.....etc...

I have a document, and it is a bit out of date but a summary of it looks like this...

Currently working:

Login to master server

Server list

Login to game server

Player User Name

Player name tags in flight

In development:

Connect to master server on a button click

Download needed mods

Check allowed mods

In-game chat

Potential future features:

Docking

Public vessels

Prevent / allow collisions

Mute player chat

Hide players from view

Friends list

New players create/spawn at own Space Center

Spectator mode (such as when beyond vessel limit)

View other players

Drop down list of other players

Picture in picture view of other players

Match other player's warp

Each person has their own warp speed

Server adjustable warp for all

Voting system for adjusting warp

BTW, perhaps a small tweak of Extraplanetary Launchpads would work great for multiplayer. The best solution would be if people could click on a globe and start there with their own KSC, but to begin with each player could roll out their own launch pad.

what about having multiplayer were it sort of a tour or a save file were the players are all in control with there kerbal ,and the host in control of everything except what the tourist do with there kerbal.(For example:Player has disbarked from your ship in orbit around kerbin.)

-Mguarn,

Good point, I think the server side will lock the owners of players kerbals that other players cannot control them even if kerbal in the craft. I'm not sure about the part where other players climb in a craft that have more than one seats while there are other players are already inside. This might be something that players need to work together to keep those kerbals alive. It would be suck if player 1 accidently crashed into something while other player/s are riding with player 1.

We'll find out when the MP addon reach its development stage to make it playable to test it out to see what they will run into.

i had this idea once for multiplayer

a craft with two docking ports connected are counted a a "master ship" and some "slave ships"

when a friend logs on the admin assigns then to a slave ship to controle

when docked to the master they can only central ui from there ship

when they undock they stay a slave and have to stay within a cirten range of the master of they lose control

What would need doing is set up a master server, wich people would connect to, this server will keep time and sync everyone, some issues concerning this setup is disabling timewarp.

Is this even possible ?

How to handle people pausing, as of now the whole simulation is put to a hold.

Does time still continue when in 1 of the assembly buildings ?

What happens when 2 people simultaniously launch something on the launch platform.

Loads of unknowns and ways to deal with em.

Do we only sync vessels in orbit etc etc etc.

At the moment im kinda busy with work, i plan on making a prototype this weekend.

There are some things i will need to look into tho as i dont have much experience with them (Async sockets, Serializing objects over sockets, Eliminating portforwarding requirements for online play (Upnp ?).

I program websites in ASP.net for a living, so coding skills wont fall short.

It will just take some time.

If and when i do have a prototype it will be up on github for people to either download or work with me to develop it.

it cod be a que so if i klick at lunch it wod stand you are 2of8 that means you have one at the ramp and 7 afther you ore have say 3 lunchpads at difrent places ore a lunch pad to everyone so i can say i wod like lunchpad 1.. rename it to ISA and lunch then my frend log on and say i wod like lunchpad 2 and cal it NASA.. then say my tird frend join and he wana join my space program it coms up nikkri want to join your space program yes:no i klick yes he join my space program and is awalible to lunch from my lunchpad this will be god fore co op and multiplayer were you can cooperate togheter and work agenst echother say nake word war kerbal

sorry my bad english

Edited by nikkri
sorry my bad english

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.