Anubis Spaceplane (SSTO)

Broco

It's gorgeous man, it's far more impressive than the Bismarck, that thing was unflyable! XD I would totally love to try this one out.

Yes, you are right... it kinda sucked.

This has really good flight abilities for its size. Try it out, craft file posted (but take the mk2, the first one is a little bit more unstable and got no nuclear engines).

I wouldn't say it sucked. It was successful in teaching you in what not to do!

Like me and the Bucephalus... T^T That thing is absolutely massive and unfliable. But hell is it pretty and accurate. :P

Well, if you read the thread, the Bucephalus is made with 4 different parts. Each one I sent into space on its own. I sent the body up first, then each wing, and then finally, the nose, and docked them all together. Unfortunately, due to how docking ports... are... the ship wobbles and bends and is impossible to fly. :P Also its weight distribution is really low, so it starts to go down when you accelerate. It's essentially going to be there for the stories that I want to write in the fan section. And just be a stationary defense system (it has 17 missiles) and space station for smaller ships for refuel, if anything... It has a TON of fuel on board. As a matter of fact, I got every piece into space without spending any on board fuel.

So after hours and hours of work fine tuning, reinforcing, and creating a landing gear setup that matched the "look" of your design, I am happy to present to you:

http://ryushare.com/jyrlzw3j91vx/Anubis_A.craft

How to install: copy the craft file to your SPH folder

How to fly: go straight until you are around 120m/s then pitch up

Troubleshooting: sometimes the craft will veer off to one side consistently. This is because of a landing gear angle glitch. Simply go into the SPH, select each gear (symmetry on, grid snap on for the rear; symmetry off, grid snap on for the front) and put them where they were before. This should kill the angle glitch.

I shall permit those with better machines to provide snapshots of them getting this beast into the air. My machine was too laggy to get snaps showing it being airborn with the runway underneath it. FYI, I could get it airborne before it had used half of the runway! Also, it's amazing how much extra fuel you can bring into space getting it nose up so early. Just remember to throttle back after 6km altitude as you build up acceleration. Keep it around 2gs for the largest amount of fuel.

So after hours and hours of work fine tuning, reinforcing, and creating a landing gear setup that matched the "look" of your design, I am happy to present to you:

http://ryushare.com/jyrlzw3j91vx/Anubis_A.craft

How to install: copy the craft file to your SPH folder

How to fly: go straight until you are around 120m/s then pitch up

Troubleshooting: sometimes the craft will veer off to one side consistently. This is because of a landing gear angle glitch. Simply go into the SPH, select each gear (symmetry on, grid snap on for the rear; symmetry off, grid snap on for the front) and put them where they were before. This should kill the angle glitch.

I shall permit those with better machines to provide snapshots of them getting this beast into the air. My machine was too laggy to get snaps showing it being airborn with the runway underneath it. FYI, I could get it airborne before it had used half of the runway! Also, it's amazing how much extra fuel you can bring into space getting it nose up so early. Just remember to throttle back after 6km altitude as you build up acceleration. Keep it around 2gs for the largest amount of fuel.

Thanks for the work and the effort you put in this, but I personally will stay with the old version for now. With the >50 extra parts you added my PC is near death when trying to fly it. I get the old one into orbit everytime I fly it (after a lot of training though).

Hope they fix this glitch in future versions, then I'll definitely switch to yours (especially when my new laptop arrives which hopefully will be able to master this craft) because after all its more stable and easier to take off.

Very nice implemention of your parts, you did a great job there. I start liking this community evern more :D

Does someone know if there is a key binding to cycle through the tanks because trying to click a tank inside the chassis of this craft is quite annoying.

Edited by Broco

I'm glad you like it. What's really cool about the reinforced landing gear is that, once the tanks are near empty, it can land again without loosing parts or the whole thing collapsing!

You can't action group tanks at the moment, but it is constantly popping up in the suggestions forum, so maybe once tweakables is implemented it will become an option.

• 2 weeks later...

This plane is the first plane I have managed to get into space...

I managed to get it into a nice 34,000,000m by 38,000,000m orbit around Kerbin (Mun slingshot by accident) with just under 6000 units of fuel...

It's also managed to drop me to 15 fps on launch... :(

How many parts is it?

Please. Make this again in a smaller part count that can be run at a minimum of.... say 7 frames per second.

If it works well enough after such a remake, I guarantee you a Kerbal Test Pilot episode.

Please.

Harv

No in atmosphere pictures... 15 FPS means I have to pay full attention to the plane.

However, I have some pictures of my flight now.

I haven't refueled this craft yet....

Burning after leaving the atmosphere (still sub-orbital)

qNXF5n3.png

Nice view of the stars:

2WESLcx.png

Looking back home (at apoapsis of 38 million meters)

sANQ5x5.png

And, it still has fuel!

4oDQKYA.jpg

• 2 months later...
Please. Make this again in a smaller part count that can be run at a minimum of.... say 7 frames per second.

If it works well enough after such a remake, I guarantee you a Kerbal Test Pilot episode.

Please.

Harv

Sorry haven't been online recently due to some ****load of work to do, but I'll do my very best and would be honoured if you try it out on your channel :-)

Can't guarantee it, though because it will be very hard to reach the size with a lesser part count (I even tried not to waste too many parts).

Will be a bit smaller then.

Edit: Done!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/42573-Anubis-mk2-SSTO?p=546161#post546161

Edited by Broco

• 11 months later...
Guest Fyre Flare

*Searches Google Images*

*Types in "Spaceplane KSP"*

*Sees this*

*Clicks on the image*

*Posts here*

Mother of Gods of Spaceplanes!

That is huge!

I can't make a tiny spaceplane without a rocket :D

its time like this where i wish the devs would spend a whole update on optimizing the game to rum fluidly 5000 parts plus, imagine the things you could do with 5000 parts! anything!

Can't be done. The lag is a limitation of your computer, mostly.

And any optimization that could happen at this point is extremely advanced. You would have to decompile the Unity engine itself, and re-write the physics engine better than it already is. Even a Triple-A studio wouldn't have good odds with that.

If you want to run 5000 parts fluidly, you're going to have to come back to Kerbal with a top-of-the-line computer from ten years in the future. Even that might not be enough.

I'm running a 3.7 GHz i7 4820K, and I still can't run more than 500 parts with over 20 FPS.

• 7 months later...
Very nice necro, by the way.

It's the original poster and they're stating their intentions to update their original design, so we'll allow it in this particular case.

Also, please be advised that we have the Report Post function so that these things can be handled discreetly if need be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.