Land Speed Record.

AceGamer

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't resist to give this a quick try. I didn't have the patience to make anything special, but even a haphazard design job gave me a decent result. 674m/s and a 100% survival rate thanks to the flip of life. In short, the whole thing flips 180 degress after running out of runway, thereby increasing drag and forcing the engine to take the full blast at splashdown. No shutes or any sort of buildt in safety functions needed, which feels pretty Kerbaly, don't you think?

• 4 weeks later...

2015-11-17_00001_zpsqcskhr0w.jpg

1093m/s. Beacon assisted parking brake.

Sepratrons have the best twr. This was built for a challenge thread, and was briefly the challenge leader before being overtaken. The trick is keeping it in a straight line, which is basically just luck.

@tewpie managed >1200m/s before the end of the runway.

Edited by RCgothic

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to see what 1.1 wheel physics do to my "cars", but back in 1.05 I got... I think it was 1328m/s in a kerballed jetcar and survived... Only place that was flat enough was the ice caps. I probably have screenshots either on my comp or on NoNameShips, but i'm on mobile right now. 

Basically at that point I was playing chicken with shock heating.

• 4 weeks later...
On May 1, 2013 at 0:35 AM, saik0 said:

723 m/s is my top speed manned dragster. Though I know its still short of bring the current record holder.

IIQkGxDh.jpg

It's old so it's in a different catagory completely due to new engine, joint and aerodynamic changes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is one of the fastest land vehicles I could come up with

reaching an insane speed 531.4 m/s.

I actually made a plane-like car after this that one first try reached over 650 m/s, sadly I did not have time to take a screen shot, and on third and fourth try it only reached 500 m/s, before exploding..

4i2pVEa.jpg

Edited by Blueshinobi
Added text

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Distortions said:

Editing a craft and getting it to the south pole takes a LONG time. Is there an easy way to mod the game to let me spawn on the flat ice?

Either Alt-F12 or the Hyperedit mod should let you place an existing craft anywhere.  I've never used either one, so I'm not sure if there are limitations to Alt-F12 that might require Hyperedit for some locations.

13 hours ago, Distortions said:

Cool, thanks. I got it working. Now I just gotta get something that doesn't flip over or go without wheels again. Sadly, it doesn't teleport clamps with the craft.

I just watched your video -- I don't think that's what they mean by "land speed record" -- the way I understand it, you have to have the ground supporting the weight of the vehicle.  Wheels, or at least skids.  With the right mod, you might be able to use ground effect (like a hovercraft), though in real life I wouldn't expect that to work at supersonic speeds...

Yeah, unfortunately stock wheels are a problem. The current record 1808m/sec didnt use wheels either and abused the physics engine with control surfaces. So its more of a air-speed at sea level.

Right now, my current attempt to beat them is using wheels, but ditches them once its above the ground ( no wings, just body lift ) so far made it to 1827 m/sec.

Edited by Distortions

5 hours ago, Distortions said:

Yeah, unfortunately stock wheels are a problem. The current record 1808m/sec didnt use wheels either and abused the physics engine with control surfaces. So its more of a air-speed at sea level.

Right now, my current attempt to beat them is using wheels, but ditches them once its above the ground ( no wings, just body lift ) so far made it to 1827 m/sec.

You tried playing with the sliders right?

Yeah, and it can help. But even at the south pole, the small bumps become brutal. At 800m/sec the small plane wheels actually just burn up. Some larger wheels don't, but they generally seem  fail at > 1000-1500m/sec or so, and they create a ton of drag. But I'm still experimenting :).

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the smell of fresh-turned grave dirt.  I think one Strattenblitz on the tubes has shattered each of the records with ablative monstrostities, at times moving faster than the game can generate new surface colliders, causing speeders to sink into the ground textures and explode once the colliders do load.

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.