[0.20] Ioncross Crew Support Plugin ([0.22] dev build)

yongedevil

You might have another Module Manager somewhere, maybe another mod. Having more will cause duplication. With the current Module manager 1.3, it's best to have one in or mod. Other mods that use it will use the one you will have in that mod.

Modulemanager.dll should be in top level of gamedata which prevents duplicates. However, multiple config files that add the same module can add duplicates.

Modulemanager.dll should be in top level of gamedata which prevents duplicates. However, multiple config files that add the same module can add duplicates.

It turns out I had a duplicate of the whole thing somewhere. That issue is solved.

But, turns out it's not EVA parachutes that's giving the trouble, but this specific thing that allows you to have a parachute equipped on every kerbal who leaves a pod.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25305-0-22-Vanguard-Technologies-EVA-parachutes-Update-(Oct-26)/page6?p=442982&viewfull=1#post442982

Hopefully, it's not too hard to solve, as those parachutes are pretty handy.

Also, I'm hoping that intakes for kerbals will be in the next version.

I'll be able to make use of my "Launchpad lights" without worrying about them dieing.

reerzQjl.png

It turns out I had a duplicate of the whole thing somewhere. That issue is solved.

But, turns out it's not EVA parachutes that's giving the trouble, but this specific thing that allows you to have a parachute equipped on every kerbal who leaves a pod.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25305-0-22-Vanguard-Technologies-EVA-parachutes-Update-(Oct-26)/page6?p=442982&viewfull=1#post442982

Hopefully, it's not too hard to solve, as those parachutes are pretty handy.

Also, I'm hoping that intakes for kerbals will be in the next version.

I'll be able to make use of my "Launchpad lights" without worrying about them dieing.

reerzQjl.png

What version of Crew support are you running now?

Did my test with capsule O2. I click the green arrow to turn it off. The kerbal did die, took him 3hrs, I don't know if this mod has it randomized.

I also did a reentry after my capsule air was empty and I was using the tank of O2. After ditching it, I reentered without any problems. I didn't want to time accelerate while I was reentering. I didn't want to risk time accelerate messing it up. I really don;t know either if time accelerate messes with O2 level.

Anyways, I seemed to got it squared away.

Renaming the folder the mod is in shouldn't have any ill affects. At no point do I reference anything using the folder name.

Just a note: While it may not mess with this mod, some mods require a certain directory structure to work. KSP Interstellar gets all messed up if you install it wrong, for example.

Just a note: While it may not mess with this mod, some mods require a certain directory structure to work. KSP Interstellar gets all messed up if you install it wrong, for example.

Yeah I was having problems with Interstellar. I had to just put all 3 folders in Gamedata. I use to put it in 1 folder I would name Interstellar. Other mods are OK.

Are there any plans to add food and water to Ioncross? Resource definitions are there, but they're not used anywhere.

There is a mod out there that does this already. TAC. It's in list of mods when you back out of this thread on top. I would put a link but I am on iPhone.

I don't think I would like this mod to have food and other things. If so do a seperate one. I like to have O2 to system. Some people like add complex realism, which is nice but can take fun from game.

Some people are into that and some people are not. I just want to add a splash of things to add some challenge but not take away the sense of fun.

And we don't know if Kerbins eat solid food or they photosynthesis their food. If they poo we don't know if they do a Duece or pellets or discret their waste threw the skin. A lot of unanswered questions about these aliens, lol.

Last time I tried TAC it bugged my game horribly. So that's out. Ioncross is more customizable and has less bugs than TAC. I might switch to TAC later on, when it's more stable, but right now, I like Ioncross better.

Food and water are important considerations to a ship's life support. I think they should be added to Ioncross, along with a waste management system. Come to think of it, this might already be possible.

If they did it on Ioncross they should make it optional, like don't put this folder in or something. It would nether the less be a challenge to try having food and water on a vessel.

I never tried TAC, sucks it is bugged out.

Maybe if someone did a mod that combines the food and water into something as one. Like a Kerbal gelatin they need to have. Which supplies both their food and liquid intake. Like their plant food, lol. Everyone thinks they are plants because they are green. Who knows?

It can also be grown or something while away from Kerbin and processed into that gelatin. I wish I knew something about mod making, if I did I might give it a crack at. Maybe someone out there might read this and give it a go, lol.

Eh. I don't really like the food idea either.

With the o2 you've already added a time limit on how long the mission can last, with more time costing more weight. Adding food is just more of the same.. so the gameplay wouldn't change but now there's more resources to manage. It's an extra layer of complication that just accomplishes the same thing. It also isn't nearly as pressing a matter as having air to breathe!

just consider it nutrient air. problem solved. :P

I've actually had a different idea for food and water. It's not as simple as a "different air".

Water is heavy and needed in large quantities, but is easily recycled. Fuel cells also produce water, so the answer wouldn't be simply "load up on water", but rather to use recyclers and keep it circulating.

As for food, it'd be very hard to generate, but relatively lightweight and noncritical on all but the longest missions. It'd pretty much exist only to make base building more interesting, where greenhouses could generate it and keep the base supplied. Otherwise, you'd have to send it in a freighter from time to time.

Also, it turns out it's possible to rig something like that up already. I'm not done yet, but the basic functionality is there. Lack of water is likely (but not certain) to kill after 3 days, while food has it's first check after 15 days, and it's only a 50% chance. It's not an ideal solution (I'd like a 15 day delay, then checks each day), but it should work. Also changed food density, I'll have to do some maths to ensure fuel cells work out for water generation (mass conservation and all...).

I got a minor request, the new KSPX pack v0.2.4, they is an added option to add back in the Old Cupola crew module. Do you think you can add this into your mod? I'm sure other people would like it too.

Thanks!

I think I can make my own part code. What do you think would be good vaules for it? It can hold 3 kerbals.

Also, it turns out it's possible to rig something like that up already. I'm not done yet, but the basic functionality is there. Lack of water is likely (but not certain) to kill after 3 days, while food has it's first check after 15 days, and it's only a 50% chance. It's not an ideal solution (I'd like a 15 day delay, then checks each day), but it should work. Also changed food density, I'll have to do some maths to ensure fuel cells work out for water generation (mass conservation and all...).

I'm actually working the same thing. However, for stock missions, the criticism that it's 'different air' is still valid because it's simply another extra item or recycler you have to carry even if the kill checks are different. A realistic life support mod is only interesting when it's combined with a supporting resource mod. If you have to mine each resource using different location and methods and convert it through different steps, now you have a supply chain.

Consider what happens if you have food and water and oxygen requirements with recyclers to extend your supply, but still a real need for new supplies. Minmus should have plenty of water-ice, which can also make oxygen. However, for food, you need carbon. CO2 works, but it will run out like anything else as it's recycled and leaks from the system, etc. Maybe their's some carbon on Mun, but the best supply would be Duna. So now you have a need for an interplanetary supply network.

So that's the concept for my current mod. I'm going to add the resources to Kethane as well as Ioncross. I've worked out real-world consumption, masses, and densities and translated that into KSP equivalents. I've even worked out real-world/KSP numbers for the hydroponics bay. If you interested in exchanging resource calculations or merging projects, send me a private message. I actually started alpha testing the Ioncross portion last night.

I seem to have a problem with dev build 4. When my ship's life support resources run out, the Kerbals on board don't actually die. Right-clicking the command module will seem to indicate that the crew is dead ("0/1 Crew", "Life support inactive"). However, the crew member's picture continues to appear in the bottom right of the screen (whereas it would disappear in previous versions), and if I click "EVA" and then re-board the craft, this restores the module's crew.

Last time I tried TAC it bugged my game horribly. So that's out. Ioncross is more customizable and has less bugs than TAC. I might switch to TAC later on, when it's more stable, but right now, I like Ioncross better.

Food and water are important considerations to a ship's life support. I think they should be added to Ioncross, along with a waste management system. Come to think of it, this might already be possible.

What kind of problem did you have with TAC? I use it myself and haven't had any trouble with it.

They will die, the time is random. Sometimes its 2 hrs or 1 hr, but they will die. I assume its like them using their spacesuits O2 for a while.

I seem to have a problem with dev build 4. When my ship's life support resources run out, the Kerbals on board don't actually die. Right-clicking the command module will seem to indicate that the crew is dead ("0/1 Crew", "Life support inactive"). However, the crew member's picture continues to appear in the bottom right of the screen (whereas it would disappear in previous versions), and if I click "EVA" and then re-board the craft, this restores the module's crew.

They will die, the time is random. Sometimes its 2 hrs or 1 hr, but they will die. I assume its like them using their spacesuits O2 for a while.

I don't think time is the issue. The crew's pictures in the bottom right stay put, even if many days go by. Like I said, the context menu (right-clicking the command module) indicates they're already dead. But the crew pictures remain. They can go EVA, and then get back in the command module, which will cause the module to be "crewed" again, until the lack of resources "kills" them again (again, though, their pictures will remain). If I exit to the Space Center and reload the vessel, the crew will then be gone for good.

I'm actually working the same thing. However, for stock missions, the criticism that it's 'different air' is still valid because it's simply another extra item or recycler you have to carry even if the kill checks are different. A realistic life support mod is only interesting when it's combined with a supporting resource mod. If you have to mine each resource using different location and methods and convert it through different steps, now you have a supply chain.

Consider what happens if you have food and water and oxygen requirements with recyclers to extend your supply, but still a real need for new supplies. Minmus should have plenty of water-ice, which can also make oxygen. However, for food, you need carbon. CO2 works, but it will run out like anything else as it's recycled and leaks from the system, etc. Maybe their's some carbon on Mun, but the best supply would be Duna. So now you have a need for an interplanetary supply network.

So that's the concept for my current mod. I'm going to add the resources to Kethane as well as Ioncross. I've worked out real-world consumption, masses, and densities and translated that into KSP equivalents. I've even worked out real-world/KSP numbers for the hydroponics bay. If you interested in exchanging resource calculations or merging projects, send me a private message. I actually started alpha testing the Ioncross portion last night.

I hadn't realized it before, but that pretty much sums up why I haven't been overly keen on actually implementing food and water requirements as an option. If though as Morden96 suggests, there was a way to separate the resources so they are handled differently it might be worthwhile. At this point what I would really like is a way to collect ice from polar craters where there is no sunlight and to produce food where there is sunlight.

I don't think time is the issue. The crew's pictures in the bottom right stay put, even if many days go by. Like I said, the context menu (right-clicking the command module) indicates they're already dead. But the crew pictures remain. They can go EVA, and then get back in the command module, which will cause the module to be "crewed" again, until the lack of resources "kills" them again (again, though, their pictures will remain). If I exit to the Space Center and reload the vessel, the crew will then be gone for good.

This appears to be a bug with Kerbal. All I do is call the crew's Die() functions to kill them, and what should happens is their pictures get replaced by static with “K.I.A.†over top. This only stays until you leave the vessel and then come back when the picture is removed. However, it appears the EVA and IVA buttons still work in this state so the crew can be revived, as you found out. I don't know why you're not seeing the pictures replaced by static.

I can't change the game's functions like Die(), so I can't fix the bugs with it and I need to use Die() in order to have the deaths properly recorded in the log. I may be able to work around the bugs to some extent though.

Out of curiosity as to why you're not seeing the pictures turn to static, what version of Kerbal are you using, including operating system?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.