finally i succeed in landing on the moon with no help other than an sas

ttttlnlund

It took me about 2-3 weeks.... At first I never knew how to use the Navball for help with landing on the surface. I would just eye it out, until it appeared as if I were falling straight down.... Needless to say that method never worked :) Which I realized after 10 or so failed attempts. But I kept at it, and eventually landed a crew of 3 on the Mun... With no hope of them returning back to Kerbin.

Pah, Mun... Why, back in my day, we didn't have any Mun! We got into orbit around Kerbin, and we liked it!

Seriously, though, it didn't really take me that terribly long, all things considered. Maybe about 2 or 3 weeks after 0.12 came out and the Mun was added? Pretty impressive since that was before any of the tools we have now existed to make the process much easier!

Took a week or two because my initial attempts were done with landers where the center of mass was too high, and the base was too small. Mind you, this was before patched conics, landing lights, and large tanks, so everything was done with duct tape and prayer.

My first lander actually suffered a glitch once I got it up into LMuO after my first landing. I had another two landers waiting in orbit though (having multiple missions was a novelty back then), so the second landing went off without a hitch.

nl1WA.png

7mnaR.png

No help other than ASAS? Surly you used fuel, engines and landing legs ;)

Honestly, well done :) I can't remember how long it took me to get to the moon... Not very long at all though because I think I basically copied Kurtjmac's first Mun rocket the "Farlander IX" to get me there, I was pretty terrible at making my own rockets and most of them at that point we're barely sub orbital.

Now i look back at Kurtjmac's Mun mission with the Farlander IX, I see how terribly inefficient that rocket was, but I guess or served its purpose for Kurt (and my copy of it :P)

after three months of learning i actually did it without mech-jeb lol. How fast did you guys land on the moon although im sure it was faster than me by a long shot:0.0:

congrats man! great feeling isn't it. oh and welcome to the forums. I can't remember how long it took me to get to Mun first time, a couple weeks I think, but this is a pic of my first Mun landing;

z6UWWqhl.jpg

Couple hours a day, for several days. I watched a lot of videos at the time, so that helped a lot. I don't remember what version, but I do remember landing on fins instead of legs. I think I may have done that for weight reasons instead of not having the parts, I don't think I've been playing that long.

Congrats!

I landed on the moon within a week. However, I'm still trying to get Jeb back xD. I never seem to have enough fuel for the return trip.

I'm trying out mechjeb right now. It's interesting. I like the hard data it provides. It lets me do the maneuvering by the numbers instead of just click and drag guesswork. The tool is invaluable with orbital intercepts and whatnot, but I still do the docking,landing, and takeoffs by hand.

A bit less than a week. No mods, only video I watched was one on how to dock (which I guess wasn't necessary, but I wanted to mimic the actual Apollo missions with a landing module and a command module above in orbit around the mun).

Hardest part was definitely building a rocket big enough to get there. At the time I did not fully realize what struts did so my fuel tanks had the tendency to collide into each other during ascent. My rocket would take off at ~15% throttle and even then making it into orbit was not a guarantee.

Damn! ive been playing a month and havent been to the Mun yet! But i have not attempted it yet! Ive orbited & docked a few crafts.

Im hoping to build something that will launch from kerbin, land on Mun, leave a lander unit on Mun and return to Kerbin. But we will see how well that pans out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.