The MachingBird Challenge!

Ok, I have a question. I use a lot of part clipping. That said, I never use the dev console. Is that still a violation or is part clipping allowed if it can be done within the basic structure of the game without cheats and/or mods?
The difference between "legal" part clipping and dev console is that the console setting allows for stacking many parts on top of one stacking connection, which is normally not possible.

I would say clip away, but do it in style! :)

You might remember the Celerrimus V, well I have the new and improved Celerrimus VII

Just as before, no mods or cheats, manned stock craft (Made in career :D)

Top speed: 2,315.1 m/s or 2,314 m/s I'm not sure. I actually went 2,315.1 m/s surface speed...I even have a screenshot as proof, but for some reason the log only says I went 2,314 m/s surface speed. I'm not sure which is valid so I put both.

Here is my proof that I actually went 2,315.1 m/s

screenshot29.png

Here is what the dumb log says:

screenshot34.png

Here is me on the runway:

screenshot35.png

Here is me as I crash into the ocean:

screenshot33.png

This is NOT from the flight, but I wanted to get a daytime picture in so you guys could see the sexy design:

screenshot37.png

Edited by Kingtj44

No Rockets, no Ion thrusters or RCS, but the rules don't explicitly specify DECOUPLERS!

Here is stock, manned, 2360 m/s using decouplers.

VCXgEoD.png

Clearly this is against the spirit of the challenge so it's just for fun, not really a serious entry. Excluding the final kick, I got it up to 2260 m/s legit, and the decouplers gave a boost of 100m/s at the end.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Funny...I'm the only one in the top 5 fastest jets that actually has an "aircraft" instead of a pile of intakes with a jet engine...

Well, a pile of intakes hidden behind a very nice frame (25.6 intake air is more than I used) is still a pile of intakes on a jet engine. ;)

Still, a very nice design!

Well, a pile of intakes hidden behind a very nice frame (25.6 intake air is more than I used) is still a pile of intakes on a jet engine. ;)

Still, a very nice design!

I have a plane undergoing testing and tweaking right now named the BlackStar which will be a successor to my Celerrimus series jets. Currently I have gotten it to 2,325 m/s. It's full potential might be slightly faster, but it's based on the Celerrimus and looks pretty similar.

Edited by Kingtj44

Funny...I'm the only one in the top 5 fastest jets that actually has an "aircraft" instead of a pile of intakes with a jet engine...

A little bit of bravado there. While you have a decent enough looking aircraft, I would be more impressed if you had achieved that in FAR, and didn't talk trash about your competitors creations.

A little bit of bravado there. While you have a decent enough looking aircraft, I would be more impressed if you had achieved that in FAR, and didn't talk trash about your competitors creations.

You misunderstand, I have also made tons functional craft (Excalibur project pretty much) and I am not attempting to insult them, after all they ARE faster than me In the end. My friend typed that message for me and I told him what to say since I was doing homework and he was at my house. Something must have been lost in the translation, I swear I was not trash talking. The contest is about speed not looks is what I meant to say, I was proud that I made a nice looking aircraft, no trash talking included.

I know this thread is competitive but anyone have some tips?,I tied with The_Elt and I can't get much faster.

FpyaOsv.png?2

This will sound dumb but the keys to success are:

Stability (wing placement/shape has a lot to do with this)

Lightweight (Remove non-essentials and favor lightweight parts)

And sadly...Intakes...(the higher you go, the faster you can go. KSP logic. It's very true though, there is a reason the fastest aircraft is called the Maximum Airhog...)

Basically I would coat it with intakes.

You misunderstand, I have also made tons functional craft (Excalibur project pretty much) and I am not attempting to insult them, after all they ARE faster than me In the end. My friend typed that message for me and I told him what to say since I was doing homework and he was at my house. Something must have been lost in the translation, I swear I was not trash talking. The contest is about speed not looks is what I meant to say, I was proud that I made a nice looking aircraft, no trash talking included.

Ok, my fault then, it was a simple misunderstanding.

I know this thread is competitive but anyone have some tips?,I tied with The_Elt and I can't get much faster.

FpyaOsv.png?2

The other thing is, if you are using FAR, less is more.

If not, more is more.

Oh, hey, Hodo. While you're here, I spoke with someone claiming to have managed to break mach 9 in FAR by using parts modeled after the SR-71, and the 'realistic ISP' mod. And he 'knew' someone who managed mach 6.2 in vanilla KSP. I'll see if I can find it on his stream, but thought you'd be interested. It's certainly gotten me curious about FAR, but I think I'll try another stock speed run first.

Oh, hey, Hodo. While you're here, I spoke with someone claiming to have managed to break mach 9 in FAR by using parts modeled after the SR-71, and the 'realistic ISP' mod. And he 'knew' someone who managed mach 6.2 in vanilla KSP. I'll see if I can find it on his stream, but thought you'd be interested. It's certainly gotten me curious about FAR, but I think I'll try another stock speed run first.

Mach 9 in FAR, I find that hard to believe, unless they were using heavily modded parts, I don't see it working. Especially if they are also running DRE.

Mach 6.2 in vanilla is certainly possible.

So! I finally managed to reach decent speeds without making backflips along the way. I call this one the Unladen European Swallow. Because Python references never get old. Right? Right? ...I'll show myself out.

It's fully stock, those intakes clip because they are placed on the ends of the small cubic struts in six-fold symmetry.

screenshot600_zps971fc6ac.png

screenshot602_zpsef35dfb5.png

screenshot603_zps7161abbc.png

screenshot598_zps589e265a.png

Will probably be rebuilt at some point in the future, though. Thanks for the challenge! :)

FClVqpI.png

4nR89jZ.png

kuiEr2P.png

Here are my screenshots!

Mods: Stock, except for a mod that adds a proper interior to the mk2 cockpit. I promise I did not use it, and even if I did, it would not help.

Spacecraft: I called it "Scout"

Manned

Score: 2,094 M/S

Edited by minimuffin