The MachingBird Challenge!

Hmm, just built a plane that hit 2349 on it's first flight...and it had extra weight and drag on it. I'm a pare it down a bit and see if I can't break 2360 for the record! If not, well, I'm sure I can beat 2349 and that beats my personal record so I'll post that. Heh, I got the thing out to an apoapsis of more than 315,000 meters and my periapsis was just under 60,000. Almost achieved stable orbit with nothing but jets!

Edited by barrenwaste

Ok, I lightened the Stargazer up a bit but I just couldn't 2360. I did come close, though, with a top speed of 2356 m/s. The flight lasted 2 1/2 hours, including five orbits around Kerban, 4 atmospheric re-entries, and three pairs of soiled undershorts (Bill did NOT like some of the flight). In the pictures you'll notice that the plane has monopropellant. That's because the Stargazer started as an ssto that was wildly fast and I forgot to take it out. The mono is never used, and in the pictures you can see that it remains the same at 7.50.

Manned Mission

Stock

Speed 2356

screenshot138_zps39a4579d.png

screenshot139_zpsd7cd0196.png

screenshot135_zps65bdea1f.png

screenshot136_zps82201f6d.png

Try going retrograde. Or polar.

Polar is perfect. Retrograde, you're going too slow and need some thrust to counteract gravity.

But TheHengeProphet is showing that you're actually better off going 0 inclination, and I think I understand why. The max speed you can get with your jets is ~2340 m/s. You can achieve that at any altitude in the atmosphere above where you run out of air. For example, you can be going 2340 m/s at 69 km, with periapsis at 40 km. Energy is maintained, so when you get back down to 40 km, your speed must be higher than 2340 m/s (unless drag took away the extra energy).

It is time for me to reclaim my throne!

And I have done so. With a maximum ground speed of 2367!

F3P2hw9.png

This, however, is not my submission, no. This is unsatisfactory!

There are problems, bugs. an empty flight events log (due to doing this attempt over multiple sessions). things that need to be fixed!

But how can I accept 2367, when I know that even faster is possible? HOW?

or i just might post the rest of this set if i get tired of trying...

Jeb is currently out of fuel in a decaying obit... long story. Anyway, it is bill's turn!

Dc2cmLY.png

Step one! get in the ship! "Maximum 8irhog Mk.8" is close enough.

I probably didnt have to use jet engines to dispose of the crew capsule, but better safe than sorry.

xyHGRJL.png

unfortunately the darkness makes it hard to see what happened. here is a image from a different attempt, but you get the idea:

yaoKf4V.png

Anyway, To space!

IO9KpmD.png

wait, not that thing,

To space!

9wHnslJ.png

At apoapsis, burning. decently high speed.

ceGFr0k.png

about to stage separate after a second orbit. got to a decently fast speed even before staging. but that is not nearly fast enough!

NbxuSfW.png

after pulling out of the atmosphere, and a little pop!

PcLMYfS.png

It is quite beautiful if I do say so myself.

MFIDsmp.png

But that is not why we are here. We are here to go faster!

Lv6Km3D.png

And FASTER!

PglM4q2.png

and then we ran out of gas. bummer.

1ouWHhH.png

but 2376.6 will have to be fast enough for now.

I am unsatisfied that the game did not round up for me to 2377 on the screen, but that is ok.

I thought of a few more tricks to eek out a few more 1/100ths of a m/s... but I think I will save them for another patch.

Edited by Pbhead

What exactly was dumped at 1:42:38?

2 fuel tanks, 2 fuel lines, the landing gear, and the decouplers attaching them to the craft.

They detached symmetrically, thus no net force exerted on the main craft.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/E4K2I/embed"></iframe>

First plane designed for the challenge, 2310.6m/s isn't too bad IMO.

Edit: How do you embed an album from imgur?

[imgur-]http://imgur.com/a/E4K2Iz[/imgur] Just remove the "-" from the first brackets.

Alright, boards updated. And to answer a prior question, no, you cannot manipulate gravity... That's manipulating the flight dynamics of the world.

Also, Pbhead, I kinda hate you for beating me! XD

Also, Pbhead, I kinda hate you for beating me! XD

What, you think I'd let go of my throne that easy?

Hopefully there will be some cool new stuffs in the next few patches.

I most certainly do want to go even faster!

After numerous attempts.... RESIST I flown by the fearless Sonsel Kerman hit a max speed of 2332.0m/s. (And sustained that speed for ~4-5 seconds.

Only issue is I recovered the craft without remembering to take a flight log shot. Hopefully since it's very detailed and picture heavy it's okay. I can't rerun it obviously without starting from the beginning. (no quicksaves) While the real mission was outbound, I had time to land a previous failed attempt (EST 1.1) at KSC, also featured.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The launch platform allowed me to keep the RESIST I to a minimum, and dropping the landing gear is just cool. While I could have placed RCS on the launcher and then used that to force an early reentry for the launcher while the RESIST I was still outbound, I wasn't sure if that would be okay, and I didn't want to look like I cheated. Although there is oxidizer present on the launcher, it is unused. (Proof in pictures.) Forgot to log in on imgur though, so it doesn't say the album is mine but I have all of the original photos obviously.

Edited by Halo_003

Apologies in advance for a potentially stupid question that might already have been answered on one of this thread's 40 pages. How does the KSP game define "speed over land" for its logging purposes? Is there an altitude limit and/or some other kind of limit? I'm thinking about trying to build an entry here. Thanks!