Spaceport is a mess!!!

Redrumssam

Seriously, all you modders out there who tag your mods with every tag are ruining Spaceport. The tags are there to help search for the mods you want, not so that you can make your mod appear in every search. :mad: Can't we have anything nice? There are times when I am proud to be a member of this community, and then there's this crap. Isn't Spaceport moderated in any way? Is there nothing anyone can do? It is such a pain to look for specific types of mods. It's just sad that people can be so juvenile and un-helpful to the community.

Yeah. Spaceport's becoming literal Augean stables. Propulsion tab gives you telemetry mods, Science&Utility throws space plane models at you etc. Cleaning it will become new Herculean task :P

Upon reading the title of the post:

I agree.

Also, .craft files should be in a completely different part of the site. They do not qualify as 'modifications' to me.

Why couldn't we keep that old mod hosting site that we had before the days of .18? That had far better organization.

Edited by BossSquirrelz
Ad sum stuf

I think that the Devs said that spaceport needs a bit of work. I remember that they mentioned something about improving the search system and having mods specifically check spaceport for unwanted content. Just wait a bit

Rich said that they are eventually going to improve it. I hope it happens soon.

@BossSquirrelz the old site called Kerbal Space Net? It was a 3th party website and eventually got abandoned and became a security risk.

Unwanted content is an understatement, the amount of bloody .craft files I see on it is a joke. Here's a Mun lander, like that needs to be on spaceport.

Someone needs to step up to the challenge of sorting it out, or try at least organise the chaos.

I find the forum a better way of finding mods, which isn't right when you have a full site dedicated to them.

G.

yeah I think it's a disaster zone. Mostly cos of all the .craft files up there, and most are not that great, some are, but many are just standard 'so what' craft.

The search is completely broken too and so are the filters. It really needs some TLC. Don't want to hassle the devs about it thou, I think it should be up to the community to use it more responsibly and not post things unless they are either really well made mods (not half cooked ideas) and only truly exceptional craft.

It will get better when things have a chance to settle down a bit. Like JSD I'd gladly also help with sorting it out if they needed someone, but I'm sure the moderators they have could keep an eye on it.

Not sure how flexible the structure of the space port is but if there was a separate subcategory for just .craft files so they did not intermingle with mods that would be the bee's knees.

Edited by chickenplucker

7. MODIFICATIONS.

SQUAD reserves the right to modify this Agreement and impose and modify new or additional terms and conditions regarding the use of the products and services, at any time, making them available on the site. All new and/or modified terms and conditions will be effective 10 (ten) days after their publishing and will be part of the current Terms and Conditions. Within the 5 (five) days following the publishing of the modifications and/or additions, you must inform SQUAD via e-mail, regarding your non acceptance of the modifications and/or additions

Also, the above clause in the spaceport upload terms needs more discussion.

How many people are actually going to check the terms and conditions for changes every 5 days (including on holiday) on a hobby project?

At the very least it needs to be increased to 30-60 days and a requirement added that notification gets sent out (e-mail, linking forum account for PMs etc.) and personally I'd rather my mods got taken down unless I'd explicitly agreed to any new conditions.

Also, how does spaceport currently handle collaborative projects? At the very least all authors need to have the ability to remove the project in case the one who uploaded it disappears.

I agree that .craft files should be in a separate section of the site.

Either that or just leave them off and have a forum section for craft files. I'm sick of looking through spaceport and seeing hundreds of Stock Mun Lander and other such S**T.

When I first found KSP and the Spaceport - I was like this Rocks!!! Now after installing a few mods and then trying to look for a few specific sorts, etc. I have to agree its a mess..

If possible would love to help, something should allow for community help to put mods in the correct section.. Some sort of voting of what sections this belongs sort of thing.

I also support a .craft section - say the decal section could be used since I don't see anything of that sort anyway.

The problem are the filters too.

I have no problem with craftfiles on this side but the most "build in under 10 minutes craft" authors use all filteroptions and in the worst case give them ratings with another account (there are alot 5 star crappy crafts with one raiting)

also, why can't there be minimum field requirements, or moderation for the first 2/3 posts like on the forums?

the amount of mods/crafts on there with the description 'set of expansion parts' (or something just as useless or vague) is ridiculous, as is the amount of tags people put on for download farming.

finally, with the whole move to steam I don't get why workshop hasn't been implemented, I get that they want to use spaceport and carry on with that, but its only viable if the thing actually works. Although on a side note the whole steam move seemed kinda rushed but thats a moot point anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, I think It's half Valve trying to up their greenlight system and the devs not looking a gift horse in the mouth. But Spaceport is terrible and quite a lot of modders don't seem to have forum posts for their mods anymore (Especially since the kraken visited) which makes tracking down mods a nightmare. People tag everything they upload with every tag available and it is just getting ridiculous. It was a really good idea but it needs some really harsh treatment to get it back on track. Even just seperating it into mods and crafts would improve it.

Craft files have no business being listed with the mods. They're just clutter, with 90% of them being either redundant designs or ridiculous designs. There's no value-added from the .craft files there, and they make it extremely difficult to find mods because they show up in searches for every mod they include.

Actually, I've found that there is a somewhat reliable way to find a specific mod... search for it, and go to the very last page of the search results. The mod will either be on the last page, or it won't be findable by a search at all on the Spaceport.

Google search on the mod name is the most reliable way to find a specific mod.

I agree that the .craft files are seriously messing up Spaceport, a site i thought was going to be used solely for new parts, mods etc. Wasn't the hideously large amount of spammed craft files that got the "old" site to be shut off by whoever was running that site? In all seriousness i think that .craft files should at least be put in an altogether separate category which would be unaffected by searches made on the site.

If i want (new) satellite parts or mods for them i don't want to dig through a mountain of outdated, nonworking stock .craft files for satellites. Same goes for launchers and other stock-assembled vessels, as these can be uploaded here in an altogether own subforum for spaceships and craft files.

I do believe someone should be appointed to the post of managing the stuff submitted to Spaceport, and take on the titanic battle against those outdated, inefficient and non-appealing craft files that currently litter the whole area.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.