Astro-photgraphy/imaging anyone?

Astronut

I have been having a blast with KSP. I am fascinated by everything \'up there\', be it airplanes, spacecraft, and beyond. My main hobby is astro-imaging, which I do using a variety of telescopes and cameras from my back yard. Here are a few shots that some of you may find interesting..

ISS2005-2009.jpg

Jupiter-10-10-2010-0353Z.jpg

m20lrgbFULL.jpg

Moon-6-30-10ed80c0001highco.jpg

It\'s an enjoyable hobby. Anyone else tried this?

• 10 months later...

I\'ve been holding off getting some astro gear even though it is, after all, what I\'m currently studying.

My main fear is that astrophotography can get very expensive very quickly - I\'m eyeing the new Meade LX80 mount to which I can attach my existing photography gear or an OTA I have yet to select. Reports I read suggested the software for tracking was still buggy.

The other off-putting feature is the weather of my homeland - it\'s under a cloud much of the time!

I just acquired a 2nd hand 10 inch Dobsonian - Skywatcher 250px. It's a bit of a beast. A Dobsonian mount severely limits astrophotography capability, but it's awesome for the Moon.

In astrophotography, one way to avoid the issues of Earth's rotation and view rotation inherent to Alt/Az mounts is to stack short exposures. It's even possible to stack frames from video.

I don't know why this never occurred to me, I may have to try that.

It's common to use a cheap webcam with a small sensor - as planets will not be large in the viewfinder, and resolution is limited visually, not by sensor resolution, no need to have a physically large or high resolution sensor. There are plenty of How Tos out there.

Congrats on the 10" dob! I bet that's pretty nice for planet watching.

I'll let you know if these bloody clouds ever clear. Seeing conditions have been appalling all summer.

I took a neat photo of the moon at the Baton Rouge observatory with an iPhone, you really don't need a good camera.

I tried that, and got this photo. I'm surprised - the camera on the iPhone 3G is truly awful.

IMG_0192.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.