New Laptop arrived, almost threw it out of the window...

Broco

...then I realized it's not the hardware's fault.

I mean seriously, is Microsoft joking with this Windows 8 thing?

Wiped the Hard drives, setting up Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 in dual-boot.

Nothing more to add than this:

5192012043239windows8vsaol.jpeg

Windows 8 is not bad, it's just a test of how the metro interface would work on PCs. People are constantly ripping on Microsoft because of it. Honestly I would have preferred them to have Windows 8 Metro a separate tablet OS. But, everyone makes mistakes and we all learn from them. Metro is not that bad, I just would not prefer it on a PC.

I installed win8 on my laptop and it's still there, but on the laptop I use Ubuntu 99% of the time anyway. It's not much of a better or worse system than Windows 7, it does eat up somewhat less RAM and has some nicely updated software like the task manager and the windows explorer, but there are some things that are quite annoying.

The greatest problem of course is the Metro interface. Although I kinda like the new redesign and the new Windows visual identity with the sharp corners and all, the interface itself is really badly concieved and it simply looks like in their quest to present it as something amazingly intuitive, they actually made it more complicated. Unity had it's share of criticism, but it really just needed some time to get used to. It does have some "overly inventive" features being crammed in there, but it makes sense and works quite well. Metro, on the other hand managed to hide the shut down button in the options sidebar, makes launching applications actually more difficult unless you have a touchscreen, and the Metro apps are complete and utter bull**it. The Mail app doesn't even support POP, the settings app is useless as it has limited options, and you actually have to go into Control Panel like always in order to change anything, and for some reason, you need to link the computer to your Microsoft/hotmail/whatever account.

I think he meant it hypothetically. As in he wanted to do that, but realised realised that wasting [Laptop price here] dollars would not be a very good idea.

That's not what hypothetically means ;)

I wouldn't downgrade to Windows 7 because Windows 8 is actually much faster. It's quite impressive if you give it a try.

It's really just the Metro UI stuff which is crap, but you can easily bypass it with Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Chobit, it is not that it's different (although some people might think that), it's just a bad interface, and very few people I know like it. It was Microsoft's way of trying to get you to buy their phones.

I have windows 8 and I love it.

I have windows 8 and I love it.

Let me guess: you have a touch screen?

For email, web and watching videos on a tablet, it's fine. But for anyone who uses a good old desktop PC for productivity (meaning, you are using the desktop most of the time, with a keyboard and mouse), the Windows 8 Start screen and all those secret corner zones just get in the way and interrupt the workflow.

My wife loves Windows 8.

She also loves akashiyaki.

Since I love her so much, I'll eat the bread balls with octopus inside... but if she tries to put Win8 on my box, she'll just have to go back and live with her mama. Even if the problem is 'just' the bad interface, it's still a big enough problem I won't use that version.

yup, its an attempt to leverage their 90+% market share in PC's to generate familiarity with their phones: why learn android or iOS when you already know win8, and if you like win8, your that much more likely to buy a win8 phone over android or iOS.

That they are also cramming it down desktop user's throats without allowing us to make it go away entirely is just utter stupidity. I really wonder how much that move has cost them, Win8 isn't doing well at all when compared to ~any~ other windows OS, Vista and ME included, both outsold it every month of their life to this point so far, and Win8 was dirt cheap initially, and is still much cheaper than the norm for windows.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.