Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Wings do not a dropship make. Seriously though as soon as you start adding wings or control surfaces the handling just gets shot to hell in my experience. I think FAR wouldn't too be so bad if it wasn't so brutal with the turbo jet thrust. :(

Here's something I've been playing around with for a couple of days. It's little more than a proof of concept, but I'm hoping to make it SSTO capable. I was also testing out TWR ratios, and this one is set for around 2.1 ish so that I can leave the throttle @ 50% and simply push it around from there with the controller triggers. I had to resort to part clipping only for the 3 engine stack on some cubic struts, which surprised me. It gets unstable at pitch values < -45*, but I haven't flown it above 10km so I'm not sure if that's just a lower atmo thing, or the nature of the craft itself. The Scythe was unstable sooner........

All of this is in "stock" NEAR btw, so 30% less surface TWR.....

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here's something I've been playing around with for a couple of days. It's little more than a proof of concept, but I'm hoping to make it SSTO capable. I was also testing out TWR ratios, and this one is set for around 2.1 ish so that I can leave the throttle @ 50% and simply push it around from there with the controller triggers. I had to resort to part clipping only for the 3 engine stack on some cubic struts, which surprised me. It gets unstable at pitch values < -45*, but I haven't flown it above 10km so I'm not sure if that's just a lower atmo thing, or the nature of the craft itself. The Scythe was unstable sooner........

All of this is in "stock" NEAR btw, so 30% less surface TWR.....

http://imgur.com/a/NJ9cB

Hmmmm, yeah it could be a low altitude thing. The Scythe doesn't like flying in the lower athmosphere but at 15k+ it's absolutely fine, well, with stock dynamics anyway. You sure I can't tempt you back to the stock model? It's so much easier to build dropships for it. :)

Thought I'd give you a sneak peek, I just put up a forum challenge I will be attempting:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94346-1-Button-Bill?p=1428102#post1428102

That's a crazy challenge, good luck with it! :D Kind of made me think of this, not sure why...

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/09/the-little-known-soviet-mission-to-rescue-a-dead-space-station/

Cupcake...

Hmmmm, yeah it could be a low altitude thing. The Scythe doesn't like flying in the lower athmosphere but at 15k+ it's absolutely fine, well, with stock dynamics anyway. You sure I can't tempt you back to the stock model? It's so much easier to build dropships for it. :)

It is tempting LOL. Considering I have a KSP install in linux for all of the mods, *and* one on the windows side of things that's a lot lighter, and a lot more "stock" , another one wouldn't be that hard to do. Hell, I could prolly just script something to disable/enable NEAR then launch ksp. Meh, I can even be honest and say I'm a little "fencey" on all the aerodynamic stuff.

I guess it really comes down to what you want to be able to fly more than anything else. /rambling and all that. :)

Edited by INSULINt
Phone went wierd, meant to add more........ Didn't want to retype stuff LOL

It is tempting LOL. Considering I have a KSP install in linux for all of the mods, *and* one on the windows side of things that's a lot lighter, and a lot more "stock" , another one wouldn't be that hard to do. Hell, I could prolly just script something to disable/enable NEAR then launch ksp. Meh, I can even be honest and say I'm a little "fencey" on all the aerodynamic stuff.

I guess it really comes down to what you want to be able to fly more than anything else. /rambling and all that. :)

I forgot to say, nice job on the ship! It's a great looking bird you built there, well done. :D

I'm relaunching my Grand Tour so I can comply with Ultimate Jool-5.

Which means more grand tour videos!

Also I'm going to try to complete 19 Reddit Challenges on my way this time.

Sweet. :cool: It's one of the best challenges on the forum IMO, I'd like to have another go at it one day. With 19 Redddit Challenges as well, your mission sounds a lot more ambitious then mine! I'll look forward to seeing the videos. :)

Cupcake...

So. I went back to stock aero, and I gotta say I find it actually a little more enjoyable even when flying a traditional plane. There's nothing quite like (successfully) banking at 300m/s, 1km up o_O

I still can't bring myself to not using vertical wings as outriggers though :/ 3rd iteration of the ship I posted earlier:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It uses a lot if the sp+ stuff. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the new cockpits :D

So. I went back to stock aero, and I gotta say I find it actually a little more enjoyable even when flying a traditional plane. There's nothing quite like (successfully) banking at 300m/s, 1km up o_O

I still can't bring myself to not using vertical wings as outriggers though :/ 3rd iteration of the ship I posted earlier:

http://imgur.com/a/qpIil

It uses a lot if the sp+ stuff. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the new cockpits :D

I love the look of that craft! I can just about smell .25 and I rekon we'll both come up with some pretty funky new designs for it. :)

I'm told this is amusing (This one is my own)

Seriously, this is what I do in my free time.

Now those are some serious skills. :cool: Not quite sure what situation you'd use them but still. I really enjoyed your pegasis video BTW, it seemed to work really well... I mean until it went bang anyway. :blush:

Apart from that I just wanted to let you guys know I'm gonna have to have a bit of a break from KSP as I've just got too much uni work on at the moment. :( The good news is it'll all be over by the end of October at which point I'm planning on a serious KSP binge. In the meantime keep building those VTOLs, I love to see all the designs you guys come up with. :D

Cupcake...

Really bummer update. None of my jets even load into the game. Hope you have better luck.

Also I'm gonna create a download of all the old parts my ships need. I assume it's gonna be similar to what you need. I'll let you know

Edited by clown_baby

Apart from that I just wanted to let you guys know I'm gonna have to have a bit of a break from KSP as I've just got too much uni work on at the moment. :( The good news is it'll all be over by the end of October at which point I'm planning on a serious KSP binge. In the meantime keep building those VTOLs, I love to see all the designs you guys come up with. :D

Cupcake...

Have fun in prison - I mean school!

Really bummer update. None of my jets even load into the game. Hope you have better luck.

Also I'm gonna create a download of all the old parts my ships need. I assume it's gonna be similar to what you need. I'll let you know

I have both a 23.5 and 24.2 backup and the one problem with what you want to do is that the spp parts use the names of the parts they replaced. Simply loading the old part folders back into GameData/Squad won't do it (as far as I know) and even if you change names in the cfgs you'll still have to build the crafts from scratch anyways. Unless you're a craft file editing wizard.

I do wish you the best of luck though and would be interested if you find a solution!

Here's what you have to do:

1) Obtain a 0.24.2 Squad folder from the GameData folder.

2) Copy it into the 0.25 folder.

3) Your OS will ask you if you want to marge the 0.25 Squad folder with the 0.24.2 Squad folder (if they have the same name). Say yes. This will copy any parts from 0.24 to 0.25 that are not already there.

4) Load up the game.

3) Your OS will ask you if you want to marge the 0.25 Squad folder with the 0.24.2 Squad folder (if they have the same name). Say yes. This will copy any parts from 0.24 to 0.25 that are not already there.

4) Load up the game.

I totally messed up. I took a quick look at the update on my way out the door to work. Turns out it was mechjeb that was giving me "invalid parts" error. The crafts load in with the new parts.

However, I still really like the old parts, especially the MK2 to size one adapter. Also I'm not a huge fan of the new delta wings. So I'll still make a folder with the .24 parts used in the jets and dropships and change the name slightly. It entails rebuilding the crafts but that's not the end of the world. I don't know about cupcake but I've built my jets so many times I could do it blindfolded.

Sorry again for the mis-information

Edit: Here is the thread with the old .24.5 parts that can be loaded into the game without replacing the new ones.

Edited by clown_baby

4) Load up the game.

There's a new "spp" folder in the squad one so the new parts with the old names won't be overwritten and replaced. Not sure how things would turn out when everything gets loaded. As for the option of editing out the craft file, you can't just change the part names, since each part has a list of what part is connected to each node.

I guess I'm not saying it's impossible. But it would prolly be easier to just rebuild each in game. This is part of the reason I've kept backups of previous versions so I can load up old ksp as a reference and new ksp to rebuild.

As for the look of the new parts, I'm really considering getting kerbpaint......

KerbPaint and the new parts:

http://imgur.com/a/AURxI

I had to dig around the last bit of the KP thread to find all the community added paint stuff, but it was well worth it :D

Cupcake I was gonna offer to convert all your dropships over to .25 using the Redux mod, but that pic doesn't look too bad. I''ll still do it if you want to offer a .24 and .25 version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.