Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

So here is was my problem step by step.

1. I used a fuselage fuel tank as base part then tried to attach one more fuel tank to each side, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/HSxxH2H.jpg

That doesnt work and no matter how i turn it, it wont attach to the both outer sides. No mirror modes works, it will only ever attach to the same side with two tanks.

Like INSULINt mentioned earlier tho, theres a way how to do it proper, if you take a capsule as base part, then strut, then fuselage and then add the side tanks it will work:

http://i.imgur.com/rs4c5Y9.jpg

You also need to use the right mirror function (toggle with r)

I am still pretty new to all this, so i learned a few things while trying this design.

But what i use the octagonal strut for in the end is utility, i find it much easier to add the strut and cubic struts to it i can use as points to add a whole bunch of things. In the end i mounted the solar panel, 2 tanks, an reaction wheel and 2 engines. I might also do the same for the wheels, havent not decided yet. As you can see from my earlier post you get an whole bunch of attachment points close and symetrical together.

I see!

I tend to build one side then alt-click to clone it to the other side, so I guess that's why it wasn't affecting me.

It does have some limitation, I can't build it as small as the NEWT with only stock parts for example, but I can imitate a PIXIE fairly well

3bVw87n.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by bitslizer

I think I may have figured out a technique to do what you guys wanted to do without structs.....

1. Start out with a cylinder fuel tank as root part I have tried FT and Rockomax it may even be possible work even with a Oscar B
  2. Attach a Mk2 tank and orient it however you like, center it in relation to the cylinder fuel tank if you plan to keep that tank
  3. Make sure to press F and set Radial Symmetry to Vessel mode
  4. Attach side tanks as before and profit.
  5. Illustration done use an FT800 tanks, 1 this allow you to easily select the root to move the entire craft around, this is not necessary as you can use the shift+click on ship to select the whole ship to move, and if you need to access the root you can move the ship until the camera can clip inside the main body so you can select the root part (i.e. tiny Oscar B or FT100 tank.) using a a Oscar B or FT100 tank allow you to work on the top and bottom of the craft adding docking port and such but make it harder to select the root as you need to clip the camera inside the craft every time you want to select the root
  6. When all editing is done Set new root parts to something else, now you can get rid of the FT800 tank if you like

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by bitslizer

• 3 weeks later...

I love this, I can't wait for the rest!

The boat was great (how the heck did it go so fast?),

the Geko was awesome (I loved that intake decoupling),

and the music choice is as good as ever (it rivals that of Pol from last tour).

I just want to say though, I think it could be a bit better if you lessened the frequency of Camera Tools' signature flybys/pans. The same camera angle/motion only looks good a couple times.

But the rest of the cinematography was spot-on. Though a bit rushed near the end, it all looks great, and I'm excited. I especially liked the super-sped up (timelapsey) bits, and want to see more of those!

(And you've reminded me that I want to do another Jool-5).

I love this, I can't wait for the rest!

The boat was great (how the heck did it go so fast?),

the Geko was awesome (I loved that intake decoupling),

and the music choice is as good as ever (it rivals that of Pol from last tour).

I just want to say though, I think it could be a bit better if you lessened the frequency of Camera Tools' signature flybys/pans. The same camera angle/motion only looks good a couple times.

But the rest of the cinematography was spot-on. Though a bit rushed near the end, it all looks great, and I'm excited. I especially liked the super-sped up (timelapsey) bits, and want to see more of those!

(And you've reminded me that I want to do another Jool-5).

Cheers for the feedback. Hope you enjoy the next part too and I'll look forward to seeing your new Jool 5 challenge when you get round to it. :)

Cupcake...

Cupcake, I have some bad news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5F2B04KOsU

It seems that Pol is broken in 0.90.

That could make things.... Interesting. Also where have all the spirals gone? Come to think of it I haven't noticed any ground scatter in .90 and I'm sure I have it enabled. :(

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Actually, come to think of it, the region where I landed didn't have any...

They're not a huge loss, though. Right?

Got it working again, yay! :) I find the terrains a bit dull without ground scatter. In other news...

Hevx7uW.jpg

QKTJYSU.jpg

2 Turbo Jets, 1 Nuke, 7,000 DV from Kerbin Orbit. It's been a while since I made a long range cruiser but this one's shaping up quite nicely. :wink:

Cupcake...

That video was amazing!

I especially enjoyed that you used persistent trails to move multiple crafts at once.

The sheer sleekness of your vehicles never fail to impress.

Cheers man! Although I didn't use persistent trails for the video. :wink:

Your stuff is truly gold, Cupcake!

And to people who complain about his crafts looking the same: Its just his style. He does what he likes and he does it very well.

That's very nice of you to say so thankyou! :D

One question I have: how did you do the flashing lights? Or was it just as simple as mashing an action group?

I used a mod called aviation lights which has a flash mode on it. I had to edit the config files to make them behave more like police ones though. :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16925-0-23-Aviation-Lights-v3-5-%2818OCT13%29

Cupcake...

Your stuff is truly gold, Cupcake!

And to people who complain about his crafts looking the same: Its just his style. He does what he likes and he does it very well.

Well then his style is to build only variations of the same idea which isn't exactly the spirit of KSP. :)

Just saying

Edited by RevanCorana

Heh guys,

I haven't had a chance to write up the paperwork for the Sprite yet, but you're more then welcome to take it for a spin if you like:

http://goo.gl/bA5MxY

Righto, bye for now. :)

Cupcake...

Sweet, gets into LKO with 3k delta V left over.

I wonder how much tonnage I could lift by snapping 8 of these onto a rocket core radially by docking port, as lifting boosters. Would make for an interesting craft.

Sweet, gets into LKO with 3k delta V left over.

I wonder how much tonnage I could lift by snapping 8 of these onto a rocket core radially by docking port, as lifting boosters. Would make for an interesting craft.

Well done! I haven't even written up the ascent profile yet so good job on getting it to orbit. :D The idea of using them as lifters is an interesting one. I'd be inclined to delete the command pod and reaction wheels from each Sprite to save weight and just have them on the payload instead.

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.