Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Cupcake,

How many times did you nail that ridge (at around 2:05) before you skimmed it perfectly while doing the BurnTogether dropship landing?

Oddly enough that was one of the first takes, I made a few more attempts after that but they generally resulted in lots of flame and loud noises. :P Having a high T/W engine does make those stunts a lot easier to pull off though!

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Okay, it's bugged me enough I must ask. I'm sure you've answered it before, but..................

What camera mods are you using for your cinematics?

The one that does the moving flyby is what I'm particularly interested in. :)

I must say 2 things 1 is that the toad looks like a tie fighter (kinda) and 2 is that your choice of music is always wonderful in your cinematics!

Thanks man! I've had a few people say my designs remind them of Star Wars, which is quite flattering really! :D

a good view count on that video:

http://i.imgur.com/HlHVrZ5.png

Yeah, it's not bad. The one before did a lot better on Reddit which is often the secret to a decent view count. I should post it here really for anyone that hasn't seen it yet. :wink:

Enjoy! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Cupcake...

I think I might have figured out where you did this.

You traveled an average of about 500 m/s, over the course of 74 seconds, making the run approximately 37 km.

From the navball I could tell that the run was north, leaving these:

k2YSEvv.png

I discount the one on the left of the image because the shot directly following the run showed that there was no crater north of the one the run occurred in.

Then, after carefully checking the shapes of the mountains north of the run and comparing their heights with those shown on the altimeter, and checking the shape of the mountain seen in the background during the beginning of the run, I concluded that the run you took was the one on the far right.

So, you started at (0, 180). Is this correct?

By the way, this is very impressive. You're close enough to even mine the... surface... Hold on. I'll be right back.

EDIT: I know that my coordinates are correct because I went there and checked.

EDIT: Turns out you can't drill ore fast enough to fuel an engine in the stock game. However, I have another plan.

EDIT: I have a newfound respect for you, Cupcake. I find it very hard to drill very much ore at 200 m/s.

Edited by Thunderous Echo

I think I might have figured out where you did this.

You traveled an average of about 500 m/s, over the course of 74 seconds, making the run approximately 37 km.

From the navball I could tell that the run was north, leaving these:

http://i.imgur.com/k2YSEvv.png

I discount the one on the left of the image because the shot directly following the run showed that there was no crater north of the one the run occurred in.

Then, after carefully checking the shapes of the mountains north of the run and comparing their heights with those shown on the altimeter, and checking the shape of the mountain seen in the background during the beginning of the run, I concluded that the run you took was the one on the far right.

So, you started at (0, 180). Is this correct?

By the way, this is very impressive. You're close enough to even mine the... surface... Hold on. I'll be right back.

EDIT: I know that my coordinates are correct because I went there and checked.

EDIT: Turns out you can't drill ore fast enough to fuel an engine in the stock game.

Wait a minute, are you telling me you can actually mine stuff while moving at orbital speeds if you're low enough!? :0.0:

Cupcake...

Wait a minute, are you telling me you can actually mine stuff while moving at orbital speeds if you're low enough!? :0.0:

Cupcake...

Of course! This is Kerbal Space Program we're talking about. Drills phase through the ground for easy speed-mining.

Over 74 seconds, you wouldn't get more than 0.01 ore.

May I suggest starting at (-33, 27) and going northwest? It looks like almost twice the distance.

http://i.imgur.com/pGnZaDX.png

Hmmm, that's not a lot of ore. Perhaps if one were to fly at a more sedate speed, say Minmus's orbital velocity (160 ish)? :wink:

What what what? This I have to see!

All in good time mate. :)

Cupcake...

Hmmm, that's not a lot of ore. Perhaps if one were to fly at a more sedate speed, say Minmus's orbital velocity (160 ish)? :wink:

Minmus' orbital velocity at 5m above sea level is 170. (Source: Trial and Error). You end up with about 0.05L.

Video to come, but I'm trying to do an EVA mid-flight without crashing.

Minmus' orbital velocity at 5m above sea level is 170. (Source: Trial and Error). You end up with about 0.05L.

Video to come, but I'm trying to do an EVA mid-flight without crashing.

Looking forward to seeing it. Good luck! :D

Cupcake...

Your colors are always on fleek. What rendering settings do you use in Vegas?

I had to look up what "on fleek" meant. :( Anyway, I use Premier, not Vegas and I usually raise the Saturation to 130 and the contrast to +5, although how that'll translate to your editing software I'm not sure. :P

Cupcake...

I had to look up what "on fleek" meant. :( Anyway, I use Premier, not Vegas and I usually raise the Saturation to 130 and the contrast to +5, although how that'll translate to your editing software I'm not sure. :P

Cupcake...

That actually translates perfectly, thanks!

Although, KSP does look pretty good at 200 saturation...

- - - Updated - - -

That actually translates perfectly, thanks!

Although, KSP does look pretty good at 200 saturation...

- - - Updated - - -

http://youtu.be/UmjBkVt0h-g

Good sir, I tip my hat to you! :cool: Using a nice big engine to get up to speed and RCS for fine tuning, that's pretty much exactly how I would have done it too. Oh, and nice EVA BTW. :wink:

Cupcake...

Good sir, I tip my hat to you! :cool: Using a nice big engine to get up to speed and RCS for fine tuning, that's pretty much exactly how I would have done it too. Oh, and nice EVA BTW. :wink:

Cupcake...

Yes, but I didn't use it at the throttle you'd like.

But, thanks! Yours was good too!

I found the stupidest and worst glitch ever.

Apparently, when you get within 200m of a landed vessel, KSP loads its physics and sets its velocity relative to you to zero.

This means that if you try to fly though a landed hoop at 1000 m/s, the hoop will quickly approach, but then suddenly begin hover 200m ahead of you at your velocity. (Until of course, it explodes, because this is KSP we're talking about here.)

This means it will be difficult to 1-up you.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thunderous Echo again.

Damn it! :( Anyway, I think you're putting my piloting skills to shame, with my own craft as well! :sticktongue: Here's hoping more people take up the sport. :wink:

In other news...

enUUkzq.jpg

DpwwwLR.jpg

mkD0QFo.jpg

Y5FS6os.jpg

Coming soon. :)

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.