Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

That mini-dropship looks really sleek. I like. :D

Glad to hear the big one is Tylo-capable!

Muchas gracias señor. :)

Ahem.

MOAR BOOSTAHS!!!

-Jeb

(Also, are you using an air intake to look like a windshield? Wouldn't think of that.)

Wise words indeed. :cool: I'm just glad I've finally found a use for the radial intakes! :wink:

Cupcake...

CRAFT FILE:

https://goo.gl/lk7sTf

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Engines

5 - Undock/De-Couple Top Port

0 - Cut Chute

ABORT - Undock/De-Couple Cargo Port

While the Moth Mk2 can do some pretty cool stuff with its cargo port, base building is very much a secondary role. The Puff Puff on the other hand has been designed from the ground up to serve as a base builder, light tug, emergency escape vessel and general all rounder. Coming in at just 25 parts the Puff Puff is simple, easy to use and robust.

wGmfQ7K.jpg

It can operate almost anywhere, (including Tylo) and has some pretty impressive hauling capabilties.

Lb6C3Ul.jpg

You can fit up to two Puff Puffs in the CRG-25 cargo bay in either over...

R7mBLOz.jpg

...or under configurations.

HEzk507.jpg

It also happens to have the best balance of any dropship I've made so far, which is always a plus. :wink:

BHJ6fYq.jpg

The docking ports in the cargo bays do have to be offset slightly to fit the Puff Puffs in, if anyone has trouble with this let me know and I'll provide a craft file with everything setup. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it and I'll look forward to bringing you a video in the near future. :)

Cupcake...

CRAFT FILE:

https://goo.gl/lk7sTf

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Engines

5 - Undock/De-Couple Top Port

0 - Cut Chute

While the Moth Mk2 can do some pretty cool stuff with its cargo port, base building is very much a secondary role. The Puff Puff on the other hand has been designed from the ground up to serve as a base builder, light tug, emergency escape vessel and general all rounder. Coming in at just 25 parts the Puff Puff is simple, easy to use and robust.

https://i.imgur.com/wGmfQ7K.jpg

It can operate almost anywhere, (including Tylo) and has some pretty impressive hauling capabilties.

http://i.imgur.com/Lb6C3Ul.jpg

You can fit up to two Puff Puffs in the CRG-25 cargo bay in either over...

https://i.imgur.com/R7mBLOz.jpg

...or under configurations.

https://i.imgur.com/HEzk507.jpg

It also happens to have the best balance of any dropship I've made so far, which is always a plus. :wink:

https://i.imgur.com/BHJ6fYq.jpg

The docking ports in the cargo bays do have to be offset slightly to fit the Puff Puffs in, if anyone has trouble with this let me know and I'll provide a craft file with everything setup. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it and I'll look forward to bringing you a video in the near future. :)

Cupcake...

It's incredible!

Thank you!

Pic 2: The RCS engine can thrust through parts ? waat

I see you're trying a lot of new stuff with aesthetics, keep at it!

Also could you test this VTOL and give me a feedback (about its geometry) in pm or on the thread comments please? (I know I already sent you one similar but this is the new version ^^)

Wow!

The Puff is better than I thought!

It just lifted 25 tons on Minmus!

I love it.

Thank you so, so much Cupcake!

Giving you rep as soon as I can!

No worries! :D Feel free to share some pics of the ship in action if you like.

Pic 2: The RCS engine can thrust through parts ? waat

I see you're trying a lot of new stuff with aesthetics, keep at it!

Also could you test this VTOL and give me a feedback (about its geometry) in pm or on the thread comments please? (I know I already sent you one similar but this is the new version ^^)

RCS engines are great for shifting cargo as they don't tend to leave burn marks. As to the ship I do apologise for not getting round to it, I think you sent it to me during mr post 1.0 sulk which is probably why I forgot about it, sorry. :blush: I'll give the new version a spin and get back to you with a PM. :)

That is the cutest dropship I've ever seen!

You can never have too much cute. :wink:

Cupcake...

I haven't had the chance yet to use the Puff Puff to carry base parts around, but already I can see the little dropship is shaping up to be a good'un!

2015-06-07a.jpg

I can't wait to pair a couple of these up with the new upcoming Bulldog!

Amazing work as always Cupcake!

Edited by The14th
Ze spellchecker! It does nothing!

CRAFT FILE:

https://goo.gl/QXzYWd

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Engine

3 - Toggle Nav Lights

5 - Undock/De-Couple Top Docking Port

9 - Toggle Ladders

0 - Toggle Cargo Bay Doors (Cargo Variants)

Well here we are folks, the Bulldog Mk2 is ready to be unleashed may God help us all! :0.0:

5bcz278.jpg

The craft currently comes in a multitude of flavours. First off is the standard model which puts out a respectable 5.5k of Delta V and is Tylo capable to boot! :cool:

9zq3SsF.jpg

Next up we have the cargo model which is pretty self explanitory really! :P

9U1mj9j.jpg

Last but certainly not least we have the BYO model which gives you all the tools to sculpt your very own Bulldog! This version comes pre-loaded with Puff Puff and Moth ultralight dropships and even includes a spare drive section if you want to craft something truly monstrous!

yfdSSZz.jpg

A match made in heaven. :D

R7mBLOz.jpg

Anyway folks good luck with the craft, it handles pretty well for its size but needs to be treated with respect. I recommend activating the RCS subsystem close to touchdown as it will make the craft more responsive. :wink:

Cupcake...

Well here we are folks, the Bulldog Mk2 is ready to be unleashed may God help us all! :0.0:

Anyway folks good luck with the craft, it handles pretty well for its size but needs to be treated with respect. I recommend activating the RCS subsystem close to touchdown as it will make the craft more responsive. :wink:

Cupcake...

Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to trying this out - hopefully at the weekend! :cool:

This new Bulldog really looks the part! Am definitely taking some screenies when I get up and running.

Grats on releasing both your smallest and largest dropships in quick succession! :D

EDIT: I'm already loving the BYO version!

Edited by The14th

Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to trying this out - hopefully at the weekend! :cool:

This new Bulldog really looks the part! Am definitely taking some screenies when I get up and running.

Grats on releasing both your smallest and largest dropships in quick succession! :D

EDIT: I'm already loving the BYO version!

Thanks man! Looking forward to your wonderful screenies as always. :cool:

Thanks for the rep dude. You gotta get on this sketchfab bandwagon. Its super easy to set up, I can linknyou to the tutorial if you want

No need to thank me for the rep, you've earnt it! :wink: As for Sketchfab, I'll take a look at it one day but I'm afraid RL has got a wee bit hectic of late and I don't really have the time to play with it ATM. :(

Cupcake...

Hey Cupcake!

I've been eyeballing your little dropships lately... and, well... I've made my own. Mind you, it's not half as impressive as some of yours, but it's got the appropriate looks, more or less! Oh, and it's quite small.

SKALon6.jpg

The working title of this little craft is the "Sweet Tooth." It weighs 1.8 tons, has 28 parts, and can fit inside a Mk2 cargo bay. While you can boost its TWR so that it flies on Kerbin, it does best on lower-gravity worlds; it has over 1 km/s of delta-V. It is equipped with the standard top-and-bottom docking ports and the ubiquitous front-mounted light. It has RCS ports on it and is capable of orbital rendezvous and docking. Oh, and of course, you can fly it with up to two Kerbals...

0VZy35y.jpg

Let me know what you think! I'm a tremendous fan of all of your designs, and of course, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :wink:

-Upsilon

Hey Cupcake!

I've been eyeballing your little dropships lately... and, well... I've made my own. Mind you, it's not half as impressive as some of yours, but it's got the appropriate looks, more or less! Oh, and it's quite small.

The working title of this little craft is the "Sweet Tooth." It weighs 1.8 tons, has 28 parts, and can fit inside a Mk2 cargo bay. While you can boost its TWR so that it flies on Kerbin, it does best on lower-gravity worlds; it has over 1 km/s of delta-V. It is equipped with the standard top-and-bottom docking ports and the ubiquitous front-mounted light. It has RCS ports on it and is capable of orbital rendezvous and docking. Oh, and of course, you can fly it with up to two Kerbals...

Let me know what you think! I'm a tremendous fan of all of your designs, and of course, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :wink:

-Upsilon

It does look good, I haven't got any dropships that'll fit in Mk2 cargo bays! :cool: To give you proper feedback though I'll need either a copy of the craft file or some additional shots showing the rear of the vessel and technical readouts (number of engines, DV, T/W, fuel levels etc...). If you can slip those my way I'll be more then happy to go through the design with a fine tooth comb. :)

In other news the new Bulldog model M (Maxi) has been added to the archive. Yay!

QYndSXx.jpg

It's certainly not the looker of the range but its central cargo bay does make it very practical. :P

6hXrcoK.jpg

I should also point out that the central cargo bay port also serves as the vertical axis docking port in this model. Have fun! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Hi Cupcake.

Loving the Bulldog Mk2! :cool:

I have a little ore prospector.

It's not very elegant, but it does the job and far more importantly, it just about fits inside a Mk3 Cargo Bay.

I thought, lets use the BYO Bulldog to drop it off on Minmus. I ended up with quite a stretched ship - a droplimo? :sticktongue:

As you can imagine - a droplimo does not want to go quietly into space... It was a very wobbly ascent.

My Kerbals definitely should not have filled up on snacks prior to launch.

Thanks to some very quick work with the airlock, there's now a full compliment of sick-bags heading back on a sub-orbital trajectory.

2015-06-15a.jpg

Nevertheless, space happened!

2015-06-15b.jpg

I nicknamed this particular Bulldog, The Water Bear, because the front reminds me of the little critters...

2015-06-15-Endorsement.jpg

Hmmm.. actually, Water Bears have eight legs... so maybe I should build another... oh well, another time!

ANYWAY!

Meanwhile, as hundreds of tons of explosive stuff makes it's way towards Minmus, a Tadpole equipped with an ore scanner pinpoints the best place to set down the prospector.

2015-06-15c.jpg

Despite the apparent ungainliness of the stretched Bulldog, it was still as highly manoeuvrable as we've come to expect from Cupcake designs.

Arriving on target was a cinch.

2015-06-15d.jpg

The cargo was neatly dropped from the bay!

2015-06-15e.jpg

and Minmus's gravity being what it was, it was a piece of cupcake to scoot The Water Bear over to one side.

2015-06-15f.jpg

What a ship.

2015-06-15g.jpg

"That was fun, let's go again!"

I can definitely see follow up missions with a Cargo or Maxi version, filling ore tanks and supplying Puff Puffs to the team.

In summary then - thanks again Cupcake for some more really interesting and fun designs!

I had planned to work on my Jool space station this weekend, but I ended up playing on Minmus instead :sticktongue:

The time flew by, and if that isn't a ringing endorsement, then I don't know what is! :D

Here are some un-edited screenshots, as there are too many to include in the post.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by The14th
spooling erroahs

Hi Cupcake.

Loving the Bulldog Mk2! :cool:

I have a little ore prospector.

It's not very elegant, but it does the job and far more importantly, it just about fits inside a Mk3 Cargo Bay.

I thought, lets use the BYO Bulldog to drop it off on Minmus. I ended up with quite a stretched ship - a droplimo? :sticktongue:

As you can imagine - a droplimo does not want to go quietly into space... It was a very wobbly ascent.

My Kerbals definitely should not have filled up on snacks prior to launch.

Thanks to some very quick work with the airlock, there's now a full compliment of sick-bags heading back on a sub-orbital trajectory.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-15a.jpg

Nevertheless, space happened!

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-15b.jpg

I nicknamed this particular Bulldog, The Water Bear, because the front reminds me of the little critters...

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-15-Endorsement.jpg

Hmmm.. actually, Water Bears have eight legs... so maybe I should build another... oh well, another time!

ANYWAY!

Meanwhile, as hundreds of tons of explosive stuff makes it's way towards Minmus, a Tadpole equipped with an ore scanner pinpoints the best place to set down the prospector.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-15c.jpg

Despite the apparent ungainliness of the stretched Bulldog, it was still as highly manoeuvrable as we've come to expect from Cupcake designs.

Arriving on target was a cinch.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-15d.jpg

The cargo was neatly dropped from the bay!

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-15e.jpg

and Minmus's gravity being what it was, it was a piece of cupcake to scoot The Water Bear over to one side.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-15f.jpg

What a ship.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-15g.jpg

"That was fun, let's go again!"

I can definitely see follow up missions with a Cargo or Maxi version, filling ore tanks and supplying Puff Puffs to the team.

In summary then - thanks again Cupcake for some more really interesting and fun designs!

I had planned to work on my Jool space station this weekend, but I ended up playing on Minmus instead :sticktongue:

The time flew by, and if that isn't a ringing endorsement, then I don't know what is! :D

Here are some un-edited screenshots, as there are too many to include in the post.

http://imgur.com/a/dEq5n

That's fantastic work mate, well done! :D I see you've got to grips with the build system. :wink: I think it still needs a wee bit of tweaking, the main issue the root part should be the nose section rather than the drive although this should be easy enough to fix. I must say you're a braver man than I! I would have been far to scared to build and pilot a ship that big! :blush:

Cupcake...

PS How are you finding the Mk2 Tadpole, is it living up to the original?

Edited by Cupcake...

Hi Cupcake, your dropships are definitely impressive. A flavor for every mission. Figured I'd throw my chips in while I'm here :cool:

The most recent concept from the R.A.C. Cell:

XV-Series%20Logo_zpso9dtuu90.jpg

All atmo, but looking forward to using these on Laythe.

YES!

The Bulldog looks awesome!

By the way, the Puff has built a (and still building) a 129 Ton base.

Downloading now.

Wow, must be a pretty epic base! Be cool to see some pics when it's all put together. :cool:

Hi Cupcake, your dropships are definitely impressive. A flavor for every mission. Figured I'd throw my chips in while I'm here :cool:

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/XV-Series%20Logo_zpso9dtuu90.jpg

Very nice. Those are some pretty heavy duty machines you got there! :D I'm kind of staying away from athmo craft until they get the aero model locked down (1.03 - hopefully!) but with a bit of luck I'll get back into making them again soon. :wink:

Cupcake...

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/XV-Series%20Logo_zpso9dtuu90.jpg

The top 2 look like Avatar ships!

Might want them...

Cupcake..., the base won't be done anytime soon, but I'll get the photos ASAP.

Bulldog is coming in for module delivery.

Might want them...

Yep, that's where I got the idea from. :) If you really want the craft files, you can send me a PM with your email. Not a fan of posting files on Curse or Kerbalstuff, the low demand isn't worth the frustration.

Might want them...

Cupcake..., the base won't be done anytime soon, but I'll get the photos ASAP.

Bulldog is coming in for module delivery.

Sounds great, I'll look forward to seeing the pics. :D

Cupcake...

PS How are you finding the Mk2 Tadpole, is it living up to the original?

Yes, I think it is - and I'll tell you why... If you don't mind a long post! :)

I download a lot of craft files from this forum - there have been so many amazing designs over the last two years I've been here.

Generally speaking though, I only fly the majority of designs once or twice.

The reason being that half the fun of KSP is designing and building things yourself - If I'm going to take a ship to land on each of the moons of Jool, or whatever, I'd like to design that myself.

And I feel like I've learnt so much about ship design from all the amazing craft I've downloaded from here.

My ships are not brilliant. But I'm getting better each time.

But having said that, in my experience with KSP - the Primary Mission Objective often spawns dozens of Secondary Mission Objectives... either as the result of a design flaw, or a change of plans, or something else I didn't think off before it is too late.

In those situations, I don't want to spend the whole evening designing and testing support vessels, when I really want to get on with the main mission.

So, I find it invaluable to have reliable, tried and tested reserves to fall back on. Craft I know I can trust.

For example... Let me tell you about one of my recent gameplay sessions.

Recently I started using Kerbal Inventory System in my game.

I decided that I wanted to keep a "Kerbal Corps of Engineers" on standby in orbit.

This is Doohan Station in orbit around Kerbin, ready to deploy engineers wherever they are needed.

2015-06-21a.jpg

...along with KCE Rachet - a Kerbin SOI lander manned by one pilot and three engineers, and carrying a large supply of spare parts for construction projects.

Here's Rachet being sent off to the Mun for an on-going project.

2015-06-21b.jpg

OK, right - Meanwhile, let's say, that a ship I've just put into orbit has gone a bit Kerbal.

Maybe it's solar panel broke and it's out of EC, or I forgot to attach a ladder (cough, cough, again).

What do I do?

1. Pull the Rachet off mission and come back to repair it?
  2. Spend the evening designing another ship to send an engineer up?
  3. Reload my quicksave - like some kind of savage?!

Of course not!

I send this guy:

Melbart Kerman, handyman and proud member of the Kerbal Corps of Engineers - in his trusty Tadpole Mk2.

2015-06-21c.jpg

Because, I just need it to get done. And frankly, I can trust a Tadpole to go wherever I need it to go, and handle whatever I need it to do. I can trust it to work, where perhaps designs will not.

So you see, the Mk2 is living up to the legacy of the Mk1 -

because when the "KSC, we have problem!" message comes through, and I scroll through the hundreds of designs in the VAB/SPH to decide what to send up there,

I mostly pick the Tadpole Mk2 to get me out of trouble. Just like I chose the Mk1 to in the old days.

Oh... and I should mention - that Mun mission?

2015-06-21d.jpg

... It needed a quick unplanned delivery - requiring a ship good at manoeuvring with a load attached beneath it.

2015-06-21e.jpg

If you're looking for a slogan, may I suggest "Cupcake Landers - Gets It Done!" :cool:

Thanks as always Cupcake. I do use your dropships in my save, because they are damned useful! :D

I look forward to seeing what comes next from your drawing board!

2015-06-21f.jpg

Sorry for the long post!

Yes, I think it is - and I'll tell you why... If you don't mind a long post! :)

I download a lot of craft files from this forum - there have been so many amazing designs over the last two years I've been here.

Generally speaking though, I only fly the majority of designs once or twice.

The reason being that half the fun of KSP is designing and building things yourself - If I'm going to take a ship to land on each of the moons of Jool, or whatever, I'd like to design that myself.

And I feel like I've learnt so much about ship design from all the amazing craft I've downloaded from here.

My ships are not brilliant. But I'm getting better each time.

But having said that, in my experience with KSP - the Primary Mission Objective often spawns dozens of Secondary Mission Objectives... either as the result of a design flaw, or a change of plans, or something else I didn't think off before it is too late.

In those situations, I don't want to spend the whole evening designing and testing support vessels, when I really want to get on with the main mission.

So, I find it invaluable to have reliable, tried and tested reserves to fall back on. Craft I know I can trust.

For example... Let me tell you about one of my recent gameplay sessions.

Recently I started using Kerbal Inventory System in my game.

I decided that I wanted to keep a "Kerbal Corps of Engineers" on standby in orbit.

This is Doohan Station in orbit around Kerbin, ready to deploy engineers wherever they are needed.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-21a.jpg

...along with KCE Rachet - a Kerbin SOI lander manned by one pilot and three engineers, and carrying a large supply of spare parts for construction projects.

Here's Rachet being sent off to the Mun for an on-going project.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-21b.jpg

OK, right - Meanwhile, let's say, that a ship I've just put into orbit has gone a bit Kerbal.

Maybe it's solar panel broke and it's out of EC, or I forgot to attach a ladder (cough, cough, again).

What do I do?

1. Pull the Rachet off mission and come back to repair it?
  2. Spend the evening designing another ship to send an engineer up?
  3. Reload my quicksave - like some kind of savage?!

Of course not!

I send this guy:

Melbart Kerman, handyman and proud member of the Kerbal Corps of Engineers - in his trusty Tadpole Mk2.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-21c.jpg

Because, I just need it to get done. And frankly, I can trust a Tadpole to go wherever I need it to go, and handle whatever I need it to do. I can trust it to work, where perhaps designs will not.

So you see, the Mk2 is living up to the legacy of the Mk1 -

because when the "KSC, we have problem!" message comes through, and I scroll through the hundreds of designs in the VAB/SPH to decide what to send up there,

I mostly pick the Tadpole Mk2 to get me out of trouble. Just like I chose the Mk1 to in the old days.

Oh... and I should mention - that Mun mission?

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-21d.jpg

... It needed a quick unplanned delivery - requiring a ship good at manoeuvring with a load attached beneath it.

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-21e.jpg

If you're looking for a slogan, may I suggest "Cupcake Landers - Gets It Done!" :cool:

Thanks as always Cupcake. I do use your dropships in my save, because they are damned useful! :D

I look forward to seeing what comes next from your drawing board!

http://files.the14th.eu/forum/2015/2015-06-21f.jpg

Sorry for the long post!

Fantastic pics mate, well done! :cool: I enjoyed reading about your missions so much it inspired me to head down the shop and do a wee bit of tuning. :wink: So this is the new version of the Tadpole which fixes a few little issues with the last model and brings the styling up to date. I've also added a couple more attachment points meaning parachutes can now be added without having to forgo the droptanks. Yay!

6VbYJXO.jpg

As for the Toad it's been buffed up and now serves as a medium lander that can now land on Tylo and return to orbit. :)

QJnzt1f.jpg

Last but not least we have the Jack Russel, which is kind of like a Bulldog but well... Smaller.

8DfIoJ8.jpg

Still a fair bit of tweaking to do on these craft but I'll try and have them up and ready soon. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.