Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Hi everyone, hi Mr Cupcake Sir, as you can see I am new to the forum, but not so new to the game anymore. You guys will have to excuse my poor english, obviously I am not a native speaker.

I just want to let you know that your stuff inspired me soooo much. Your videos made me look at that game differently. They made me buy a joystick. And now finally they made me register here. Cheers man.

I never download crafts, but maybe I should reconsider this too, right? Somehow it feels right to me to only fly stuff that I built myself. Nevertheless your designs are a huge inspiration to me.

I haven't read the full thread yet, I'm somewhere on page 30-ish at the moment, so please excuse if this has been discussed before, but how do you feel the new 1.0.4 physics affect your designs?? Feel free to link me to where you answered that question before, I guess you guys have been all over this.

cheers everybody, all the best and many thanks to Cupcake and all who contributed

-Daf

Edited by Dafni
typos

Hi everyone, hi Mr Cupcake Sir, as you can see I am new to the forum, but not so new to the game anymore. You guys will have to excuse my poor english, obviously I am not a native speaker.

I just want to let you know that your stuff inspired me soooo much. Your videos made me look at that game differently. They made me buy a joystick. And now finally they made me register here. Cheers man.

I never download crafts, but maybe I should reconsider this too, right? Somehow it feels right to me to only fly stuff that I built myself. Nevertheless your designs are a huge inspiration to me.

I haven't read the full thread yet, I'm somewhere on page 30-ish at the moment, so please excuse if this has been discussed before, but how do you feel the new 1.0.4 physics affect your designs?? Feel free to link me to where you answered that question before, I guess you guys have been all over this.

cheers everybody, all the best and many thanks to Cupcakes and all who contributed

-Daf

Heh Dafni,

I'm afraid I'm just about to jump on a plane but I'll make sure I write you up a full reply once I reach my destination (early next week). Cheers. :)

Cupcake...

That's okay mate, no rush whatsoever. Thanks in advance and have a safe trip

Edit: while you're at it, could you give me a quick tip on how to get rocket engines into those jets? I can't get them to click into place. When I try to replicate some of your designs I get all kinds of headaches. And I must have watched your building tutorial a dozen times by now... helped a great deal, but some things never seem to work for me.

Edit: well well well, after reading up on that threat I know a good deal more... good old days, eh? And feels like there was a bunch of deleted messages too....

Edited by Dafni

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

People are saying that SSTOs in 1.0 are "dead".

They mean that you can get into orbit, but can't get much of anywhere else. I haven't seen anyone get into orbit with more than 500 m/s left.

There is some promise, though, in making glorified versions of these: https://youtu.be/Ltpgc4Kke4s?t=50s

I can imagine a Tadpole sitting on top of a rocketless Bulldog that puts it on a suborbital trajectory, allowing the Tadpole to circularize under its own power while the Bulldog lands.

People are saying that SSTOs in 1.0 are "dead".

They mean that you can get into orbit, but can't get much of anywhere else. I haven't seen anyone get into orbit with more than 500 m/s left.

There is some promise, though, in making glorified versions of these: https://youtu.be/Ltpgc4Kke4s?t=50s

I can imagine a Tadpole sitting on top of a rocketless Bulldog that puts it on a suborbital trajectory, allowing the Tadpole to circularize under its own power while the Bulldog lands.

There is a thread for stock sstos to laythe, it should be in challenges

Hi, moving this from the Toad/Tadpole thread.

Cupcake, I know you are travelling, so I don't expect an answer. Just wanted to post some results of testing to see if others have the same issue. I tested on 1.04, the current version at this time, running 32 bit on Win 7 Pro and 64 bit on Mint 17.2. Results were the same with KJR and without KJR. Used MechJeb for all tests.

1. Bullfrog Mk2 - no issues yet...awesome.

2. Latest versions of Toad (MK2) and Tadpole (MK3) from page 83 here - Both overheat and explode without even starting the engine. They just sit on the runway, overheat and explode. Tadpole takes about 30 sec., Toad takes about 3.5 to 4 min. Have no idea why yet.

3. Prior versions of Toad and Tadpole do not consume fuel in the correct order if side tanks are attached (previously reported in Toad thread). Workaround was to add T400 as top tank if more range was needed and put the orange tank + probe on top of that. I also removed the side ports. Workaround seems to be working fine, but will test more this week.

Thanks again.

Thanks for testing them! :) I believe the Puff Puff and Moth Mk2 should still be working ok if you fancy taking them for a spin.

Cupcake...

Hi, moving this from the Toad/Tadpole thread.

Cupcake, I know you are travelling, so I don't expect an answer. Just wanted to post some results of testing to see if others have the same issue. I tested on 1.04, the current version at this time, running 32 bit on Win 7 Pro and 64 bit on Mint 17.2. Results were the same with KJR and without KJR. Used MechJeb for all tests.

1. Bullfrog Mk2 - no issues yet...awesome.

2. Latest versions of Toad (MK2) and Tadpole (MK3) from page 83 here - Both overheat and explode without even starting the engine. They just sit on the runway, overheat and explode. Tadpole takes about 30 sec., Toad takes about 3.5 to 4 min. Have no idea why yet.

3. Prior versions of Toad and Tadpole do not consume fuel in the correct order if side tanks are attached (previously reported in Toad thread). Workaround was to add T400 as top tank if more range was needed and put the orange tank + probe on top of that. I also removed the side ports. Workaround seems to be working fine, but will test more this week.

Thanks again.

Edited by Cupcake...

Thanks for testing them! :) I believe the Puff Puff and Moth Mk2 should still be working ok if you fancy taking them for a spin.

Cupcake...

Sure...

Latest update...I installed the latest 1.04 bugfix mod that supposedly addressed the wonky overheating issues. I tried Toad and Tadpole. It takes about 20 min, but the overheating icons eventually show up and don't progress to red. Haven't made any debug changes because I want to spend a little more time evaluating. Also, Squad is trying to address the overhearing issue in 1.1, so this may go away on it's own. Bullfrog is still awesome...just sent to Jool.

Thanks

I've never seen anyone squeeze so much from so little.

Cupcake have you got anything new planned?

As matter of fact I had a couple of new landers in the pipeline however I stopped development because of the constant overheating issues. :( One of them has the potential to be a great little workhorse, it's powered by a single aerospike engine and is good for Tylo, Duna and just about everywhere else apart from Eve. I'll try and get a pre-release version up once I get over the jet lag! :sealed:

Cupcake...

Heh Folks,

Finally making some headway. As promised this lander is Tylo and Duna capable.

eSQxvoe.jpg

It also features excellent athmospheric handling and can fly around quite happily on Kerbin and Laythe.

RWzupIX.jpg

It may not look it but the craft is 100% balanced. No really! :)

p5VPxJJ.jpg

Coming soon. :wink:

Cupcake...

SYMUeqB.jpg

Edited by Cupcake...

...also on the way; a newbie friendly light dropship.

k7ddI0k.jpg

It'll come with a purpose built launch stage designed specially for getting you to the Mun or Minmus and back again.

dvf3GBN.jpg

This vessel is also my first unibody design, packing everything you need into a compact, balanced, aerodynamic chassis.

Gzufx9E.jpg

Coming soon. :wink:

Cupcake...

HvP0STC.jpg

Edited by Cupcake...

CRAFT FILES:

https://goo.gl/NQu18u

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Main Engine

3 - Toggle Search Light

5 - Undock/De-Couple Top Docking Port

9 - Toggle Ladder

0 - Toggle Front Landing Gear (For Steep Terrain)

ABORT - Undock/De-Couple Side Ports/Drop Tanks

STAGE - Activate Main Engine/Parachutes

NOTES:

RCS tank located under top docking port and is left empty by default.

Rear brakes have maximum torque setting applied to give better performance on steep terrain.

Heh All,

It's my great pleasure to present this pre-release version of the Matador, quite possibly my finest VTOL Lander to date. :) Gone are the fuel and overheating issues that plagued my previous designs. What you're left with is a tough, versatile, low part count (39) lander that can take almost anything you can throw at it!

3vHkkOQ.jpg

The standard model is equipped with the trusty LV-909 and puts out a very respectable 5.5k of DV with its long range drop tanks. There's also the Aerospike equipped advanced model which loses around 500 m/s of Delta V but gives you the option of landing and returning to orbit on Tylo as well as improved performance on Duna. It's also great for bombing round the KSC if you're so inclined. :D

LUDnvv7.jpg

An option to fold the front landing gear combined with specially tuned brakes allow you to land in places even space goats couldn't reach!

zOeRPT8.jpg

Both models come with launch vehicles designed to get the Matador to low kerbin orbit.

HmnllFq.jpg

Consultations with Bob have led to a number of ergonomic improvements over previous designs.

nnE2fGY.jpg

I hope you enjoy the craft, and please let me know if there are any issues I've missed. Cheers.

Cupcake...

mFYcj25.jpg

Edited by Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.