Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cupcake... said:

Feel free to share with the group if you like. :wink:

Cupcake...

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

vhyfxm.jpg

Theres a new more brute throwback bulldog coming out. it'll be like those good old times were we could lift anything into space.

take a look at the newest video... what carried in the little landers? :wink:

8 hours ago, Nextjr said:

OH also cupcake I'm not sure about everyone else but I've always wondered what was your favorite ship you've created? I'm curious and I hope others are too!

-next

Ah man, it's like having to choose your favourite child! :P I think for a good, solid all rounder my choice would be the Cypher. :wink:

bAIDlFD.jpg

However my all time pick are the Moth series of Ion dropships which are perhaps some of the most unique designs I've ever created. :)

I really should knock out a Mk3 version one of these days. :D 

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

6 hours ago, Nextjr said:

so cupcke, what other craft makers (other then rune) would you recommend for some fun utility ships to bide my appetite? until... you know :wink:

~nextjr

Tough call! Anyone wanna put their names forward? ;)

Cupcake...

Hey, @Cupcake..., I took screenshots of all the props you used in your vids!

They're all quite good.

I was thinking those Vall modules from "Tylo, it ain't so bad", the Hanger from "Moho on the Cheap", and the base on Pol from "Real Women use Ion engines" are the best.

I1iE4ob.png

V3m39mE.png

CKFqCQg.png

Warning-Spoiler contains many photos! They're all Cupcake's!

Spoiler

5iQffTZ.png

gOezivd.png

I1iE4ob.pngJLUF2Kv.png
r8xNmrk.pngfS4x3Ie.png9bRWALH.pngV3m39mE.png32yzhfB.pngfSjVgRn.pngULudFsY.pnglKc8FEB.pngjTnfscj.pngaqe4RQr.png9CNgKme.pngCKFqCQg.pngRZCeoNG.png

On 2/4/2016 at 3:39 AM, RizzoTheRat said:

Those moths are beautiful.  I think maybe I need take the Colin Chapman approach to my space program, "simplify then add lightness".

Mr. Chapman is my namesake.  My father was a big Lotus fan.  

I suspect my mother was ignorant of the connection when he suggested my name to her... 

Hey Heckspress, not entirely sure if I understand your question correct, as the center tank in itself is symmetrical. I guess you are talking about how to attach the side tanks? Let me know if I got it wrong.

But anyway, to get this lovely H-shape chassis there must be many ways I bet. I found some simple and reproducible ways with the new editor. It was much harder in the older days, now with the offset gizmos life in the SPH is much easier.

Basically I start with the center tank and surface attach the side tank to the end of it. When the side tank consists of two tanks (like the Sprite, Tadpole, etc from older days) just use mirror symmetry. Then offset them into place, nice and centered, straight or slanted. Add the landing gear, electronics, RCS, etc. Do the same on the other side. Optionally you could surface attach the side tanks to another part (an obvious choice here would be a reaction wheel - or like in the case of the Mantis even that tank that makes up half of the center tank) and grab that whole assembly with Alt key after you attached anything you want and copy it to the other side. Easy as Cupcake... I have to admitt I don´t know how he himself exactly does it these days, I´m sure we´ll hear about it when he finds some time. There is an old tutorial Cupcake did on building, but the new editor changed things a lot.

The non offset limit mod and the editor extension mod is very nice to have for these more nonstandard designs, but for this particular chassis they are not required. The editor extension gives you the ability to horizontally or vertically center parts, which is nice for symmetry sometimes. It also lets you toggle surface attach mode for every part.

With these kinds of lander designs you can tune the balance nicely, get the COM inline with the COT by moving parts like reaction wheels around, just make sure your tanks drain in a symmetric way.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Daf

Edited by Dafni

12 minutes ago, Heckspress said:

Craft files for the PanCakes?

PM sent. In related news, I´m working on fine tuning release worthy versions of those timeless dropships, the Sprite and the Tadpole.

A snapshot from testing:

GensoBp.jpg

In other news:

NakSRuZ.jpg

nobody said low part count dropships need to be small, right? :cool:

I just keep talking and talking and talking on this thread.....

Does anyone have any SSTO dropships finished/in the works? I'm crappy at building, but flying these things around is amazing.

And any idea what the end-pieces are on that weird mothership thing in the Tylo video?

Edited by Heckspress

5 minutes ago, Heckspress said:

I just keep talking and talking and talking on this thread.....

Does anyone have any SSTO dropships finished/in the works? I'm crappy at building, but flying these things around is amazing.

And any idea what the end-pieces are on that weird mothership thing in the Tylo video?

I would need to go back and check again, but I seem to remember they looked a lot like those new Mk3 engine mount backplate kinda shutlle thingies.

As for SSTO dropships, the new versions of the game made that pretty hard. Not impossible I bet, but like many others the game developement forced me to focus on low part count ships. Long story short, use a launch vehicle for your dropships. With some of those cupcake-ish designs that pack over 3km/s, you can get away with a light jet booster stage (single-stage is overrated haha) and then do the long haul with the dropship itself, refuel in LKO and away to the stars! Or at least thats how I do it these days. Add a mothership for your own convenience if you feel like it :cool:

DymVDBP.jpg

Heh folks,

Thought I'd give you a little tease of an uncoming micro lander I'm working on. Powered by a single Ion engine this little 2t ship puts out around 7k of Delta V and is comprised of only 26 parts! :)

9aqWfTU.jpg

Unlike the Moth this new lander is Munar/Ike capable with more then enough grunt for landing and getting back to orbit.

uv7Cxlz.jpg

It's also my first dropship compact enough to fit into a MK2 cargo bay! :D

VOFbLt0.jpg

The Ion engine also comes with a cargo port for easy refueling or extra Xenon drop tanks for long range missions.

jQ1zncJ.jpg

Coming soon! ;)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.