Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

2 minutes ago, Rune said:

Hum. Experimenting with wing loading, cupcake? By the loks of it, it must be a feather compared to your other airbreathers. I like it!

Rune. Low wing loading=low speed, good fuel economy.

It's actually a lot faster then I thought which is also good for fuel economy! I can get over 4 hours of flight time flying 515 m/s at 11,000m which for Wheesley engines is not bad at all. :) The biggest challenge though was getting the handling right, I can see why the B2 was such a nightmare to develop now. :P 

Cupcake...

12 minutes ago, Cupcake... said:

It's actually a lot faster then I thought which is also good for fuel economy! I can get over 4 hours of flight time flying 515 m/s at 11,000m which for Wheesley engines is not bad at all. :) The biggest challenge though was getting the handling right, I can see why the B2 was such a nightmare to develop now. :P 

Cupcake...

Oh sure, it must have an amazing service ceiling, and at altitude in a thin atmo, it can't help but go fast, very efficiently. It was more of a "in the same atmospheric conditions" kind of comment. And like everything with a width much bigger than it's lenght, longituduinal stability must be a challenge. The B2 and it's successors cheat with advanced fly-by-wire systems, os course.

Rune. Should have written it, maybe?

9 hours ago, Rune said:

Oh sure, it must have an amazing service ceiling, and at altitude in a thin atmo, it can't help but go fast, very efficiently. It was more of a "in the same atmospheric conditions" kind of comment. And like everything with a width much bigger than it's lenght, longituduinal stability must be a challenge. The B2 and it's successors cheat with advanced fly-by-wire systems, os course.

Rune. Should have written it, maybe?

Your right which is why I've got four rudders on board to keep her flying true! The fat control surface between the engines gives plenty of pitch authority while the wing mounted ailerons have so much torque I've actually had to dial them right down to keep the thing flyable.

mxrPSd1.jpg

All told it's more maneuverable then it has any right to be for such a large aircraft. :)

Cupcake...

On 2/12/2017 at 9:50 PM, Exothermos said:

Hey, I've been playing with big wings too!

mS2VXvV.png

I really like your simple, clean designs (as usual).

Looking good man! :D While probably not the most efficient wing choice for SSTO's they more then make up for it with sheer coolness. :cool:

Cupcake...

11 hours ago, Exothermos said:

Yeah there are definitely more efficient SSTOs (a little rapier missile is unbeatable right now), But I was surprised it works at all, and besides I just watched an old "wings" documentary on the xb-49s :D

I watched a doco about the B2 just last weekend, very impressive machine that's for sure. :)

Cupcake...

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Heh all, thought you might enjoy seeing the Harlequin in action. :wink:

Cupcake...

Those visuals on Eeloo!   :o

Nice video, I admired your non-RCS dockings! And without the Navball too!! :cool: Well done man.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2017 at 10:32 AM, Heckspress said:

Hey Cupcake, I've got an idea for inspiration if you aren't working on anything.

Maybe try making a Cypher-sized mk1 atmo utility dropship?

As you guys have probably noticed I'm on a bit of a go-slow at the moment. Truth be told I feel like I've exhausted the designs I can pull out of the existing parts and am just waiting on some new bits and pieces before I start building again. :wink:

On 4/7/2017 at 8:58 AM, FleshJeb said:

I'm pretty sure those were "medical supplies"... :D

New to Thievery Corp?!? Have some trip-hop:

Morcheeba: https://youtu.be/1CTBOskmXaE

Portishead: https://youtu.be/BmxXHF9C3Yg

Massive Attack: https://youtu.be/GPTY6l_PX5k?t=1m (Cover by Aurora - Better than the original IMO)

Fly safeTM.

Thanks for the toons, I'll be sure to give 'em a listen. :)

On 4/9/2017 at 5:37 AM, glibbo said:

Hi @Cupcake...  love your stuff, you have a beautiful mind, gives me inspiration to experiment, thanks....

My pleasure! :D

Cupcake...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cupcake... said:

So, what have I missed? :)

Cupcake...

Hey Cupcake! Been a while! Good to see you!

Nice video man, some pretty hairy maneuvers. Great piloting and great video editing as well.

In the meantime I spent some quality time with that lovely bird too. It still flies great.

15 hours ago, Dafni said:

Hey Cupcake! Been a while! Good to see you!

Nice video man, some pretty hairy maneuvers. Great piloting and great video editing as well.

In the meantime I spent some quality time with that lovely bird too. It still flies great.

It'll be worth downloading the latest version which features numerous quality of life improvements including, wingtip guards, extra reaction wheels and double elevens with air-brakes. :wink:

Cupcake...

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.