Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

On 8/28/2017 at 7:18 AM, Dafni said:

the song had me laughing too, nice choice

I was too.  My favorite part was kicking the science containers out the back without even stopping.  Just like my local FedEx man. :D

11 hours ago, Mako said:

Not that I'm anyone in particular

Sure you are.  You're someone that took time out of your day to praise the work of somebody else.  How often do you only have conversations with someone because they want to criticize, critique or correct something you've done, whether it was justified or not.  In my job, if nobody is talking to me, I know everything is fine. :P

But regarding @Cupcake...'s vid, really entertaining.  I said out loud "no way" when he went through the tracking dish mount.

14 hours ago, Mako said:

Cupcake...

Not that I'm anyone in particular, but I am constantly impressed with your creations, both the ships themselves and the presentations of them. You make both designing and flying look effortless and easy when I know the opposite is true. Your work is an inspiration.

Feedback like that really makes my day, I really appreciate it, thank-you! :D I hope you continue enjoy my upcoming designs/videos. :wink: 

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

5 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Hey @Avera9eJoe dropped a rotating wrong Cessna out of his Olypia plane and something that size would be nice. Go for Gigantic!!!

Hah! :D While my Cessna was cool I think Cupcake likes to build more shall I say...  practical craft. He tends to build small and mighty, not big and slow. :P That being said though it would be interesting to see what you would do :)

Well I mean a jet with wings folded on its side or a massive jet maybe even a RATOL/VTOL 

But @Avera9eJoe who says a folding wing VTOL jet that fits in a mk 3 cargo bay for say, Laythe wouldn't be useful? Because that would also work. And the Olympia isn't just mighty slow...

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman

9 minutes ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

No, like a jet with folding wings using stock bearings. Or even a VTOL capability too.

While I'm not saying it can't be done it'll be very tricky to do in stock. :( If you design a small enough aircraft it can operate out of a MK3 bay and as long as it has reasonable wing loading I'm not sure if the VTOL aspect is really needed?

Cupcake...

4 minutes ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

I guess so, that's where your skill is needed!

I'm afraid I don't have experience with bearings :P although I think I can design a small enough plane for you if that's what you're after? Just so you know my PC has died on me and it might take a week or so till I get a replacement.

Cupcake...

Well I've had it about 6 years and last few months it just got steadily more and more unreliable. I reinstalled windows but it would hang/crash whenever I plugged a wireless usb card in or tried to install a graphics driver! I managed to nurse it through the last video but it's got to a point that I can't even boot into windows. In short I think the motherboards toast! :P

Cupcake...

12 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

I'm afraid I don't have experience with bearings :P although I think I can design a small enough plane for you if that's what you're after? Just so you know my PC has died on me and it might take a week or so till I get a replacement.

Cupcake...

No, I mean an honest-to-god folding wings plane. First the wings roll forward as if they were to stop the plane from moving with drag and then swing back against the fuselage. It then uses clipped in rover wheels to taxi around.

16 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

No, I mean an honest-to-god folding wings plane. First the wings roll forward as if they were to stop the plane from moving with drag and then swing back against the fuselage. It then uses clipped in rover wheels to taxi around.

Don't think I can do it, sorry. :( I suggest you try @Avera9eJoe or perhaps @Majorjim!?

Cupcake...

Well it's finally spring here (at least in NZ) which means it's time for a good clean out! I should have done this a while ago but a lot of the older/obsolete designs have now been put out to pasture. The Squall has been superseded in its training role by the Storm, the Cypher was getting very ancient indeed and the Indigo was well in need of retirement. The Harlequin is still a very capable long range system but it really needs a thorough update to keep it relevant. Despite not seeing active service any more these designs can still be accessed through the link at the bottom of the dealership page for anyone that still wants to check them out. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

10 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Time to start towing the old airframes onto concrete pads along the entrance to the KSC.

Or make a hangar museum?

Would be extra revenue for the KSC....

3 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

@Cupcake..., do you think you may ever go back to creating futuristic, SSTO dropships like in the good ol' aero days? I understand that it's a much more draining task now, but i'm sure that someone with your level of expertise could still create some amazing dropships again.

Ah yes, happier, simpler times. :wink:

I'm afraid those designs just won't work with the aero model/engine changes. The MK2 parts for instance put out a huge amount of drag even when they're pointing directly into the air stream! If they're then mounted at 90* the drag will be too much to overcome! It may be possible to get a dropship SSTO design to orbit but it'll be extremely inefficient and most likely wouldn't have enough DV to actually get anywhere. :( 

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.