Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

23 hours ago, Spyridox said:

Hello,

I just recently discovered your content, and I love it! So much that I actually got a joystick just to fly better.

I wanted to download some of your craft files and try flying, and I ended up downloading many. The only problem is: I don't know/understand which of the crafts are supposed to work and which ones don't work anymore.
Is it possible that a craft loads correctly but that it doesn't work? Specifically, I wanted to fly one of your VTOL crafts: which one would you suggest me to try first?

Is the main post the only one containing the officially working crafts?

-Spyridox

Congratulations on the stick! :D Generally speaking you should only use crafts featured on the first page as this thread as they will all work with the latest version of KSP. I recommend starting with the Mork (Mini Dropship Collection) before moving on to vacuum designs such as the Mindy and Newt. Hope this helps! :) 

Cupcake...

• 3 weeks later...

This make me realize how much I miss the old aesthetic--Those ramp intakes are COOL. I'm nostalgic for the days when "Mainsail" was a right and proper name for an engine fit for a king.

Digression aside:

Only you would bother to add details like steel plates over the windows, and the jetpack twitch.

I've been trying and failing for years to make a satisfying-looking bug-miner, but tonight, I am going to make myself a Snoopy for 1.3.1.

"Cupcake videos mostly come out monthly...mostly." Don't make us probe you into doing our bidding for ep 3. ;-)

4 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

This make me realize how much I miss the old aesthetic--Those ramp intakes are COOL. I'm nostalgic for the days when "Mainsail" was a right and proper name for an engine fit for a king.

Digression aside:

Only you would bother to add details like steel plates over the windows, and the jetpack twitch.

I've been trying and failing for years to make a satisfying-looking bug-miner, but tonight, I am going to make myself a Snoopy for 1.3.1.

"Cupcake videos mostly come out monthly...mostly." Don't make us probe you into doing our bidding for ep 3. ;-)

All in all the games much better then it was, however I do miss the old black tanks. I can understand why Squad changed them but they just don't look as cool, especially for gunships and whatnot. :wink: 

Good times! :)

Cupcake...

10 hours ago, Steven Kerman said:

Cupcake, how do you make the boats in your vids?

Just like real boats it pays to fashion a keel out of something heavy (I tend to use the large Ore tanks) which should be placed in the center of the hull as far down as you can get it. Either that or build a catamarang for stability. :wink:

Cupcake...

Tried making an aesthetic cousin to the Bulldog Mk1.

Got the 4th iteration to SSTO, AND have a separate VTOL system. It was pretty crappy, but I DID learn that you can abuse all 4 nodes on a service bay and still get drag occlusion. I MIGHT revisit it and try for iteration 5. This will require me to clip the heck out of a bunch of Big-S Wing Strakes to improve the L/D ratio and the mass fraction. I also have to find an open node to sneak a NERV on to.

Edited by FleshJeb

Well 1.4.1 is upon us and unfortunately Kerbals in command chairs aren't being occluded inside cargo/materials bays which has rendered the majority of designs useless. ;.;

This bug has popped up in a previous version of KSP but unfortunately has come round to haunt us again. I can't make much sense of the Bug Tracker and was wondering whether someone would be kind enough to lodge a bug report on my (and other peoples) behalf?

Cupcake...

• 4 weeks later...

Thought you guys might enjoy seeing the Wisp Mk3 in action. :)

I just want to do a last minute tweaks to the craft file, I'll try and get it out by the end of the week. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

I feel you on the command chair occlusion bug. Did not have the heart to check in 1.4.2 yet, but no news here sounds like bad news. Lets just hope they fix it for the next patch.

Aside from this (and admittedly some other nuisances) I am excited for some of the new parts, texture switches etc, and I am very curious to see the contraptions you will come up with.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, Dafni said:

I feel you on the command chair occlusion bug. Did not have the heart to check in 1.4.2 yet, but no news here sounds like bad news. Lets just hope they fix it for the next patch.

Aside from this (and admittedly some other nuisances) I am excited for some of the new parts, texture switches etc, and I am very curious to see the contraptions you will come up with.

I've lodged a bug report, so hopefully (fingers crossed) it'll be fixed with the next patch. For now I'm just sticking with 1.3.1. :wink:

Cupcake...

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Fairing bug is still there in 1.4.3. ;.; The bug report lodged over a month ago doesn't seem to have been acted on. Any ideas folks?

Cupcake...

Try using interstate fairings? They don’t appear to have the same bug. Heavier, but it should work.

1 hour ago, KingDominoIII said:

Try using interstate fairings? They don’t appear to have the same bug. Heavier, but it should work.

Sorry, I should have stated myself more clearly, the issue is Kerbals producing drag/being exposed to heat when they should be protected by cargo bays/fairings/material bays. For the majority of my aircraft designs this is less then ideal. :(

Cupcake...

9 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Fairing bug is still there in 1.4.3. ;.; The bug report lodged over a month ago doesn't seem to have been acted on. Any ideas folks?

Cupcake...

Oh no, please no. What a bummer. 1.3.1 it is then, at least in the meantime.

For completeness sake though, the infamouf fairing but that was in troduced in 1.4.2 seems to have been (at least partially) fixed. As Cupcake elaborated we are talking about a cargo bay occlusion issue here.

No ideas how to speed this process up @Cupcake..., you did all you could I think. Let's hope this one gets included in the next batch of fixes.

It's dissapointing, keep it up still.

Laters

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

Oh no, please no. What a bummer. 1.3.1 it is then, at least in the meantime.

For completeness sake though, the infamouf fairing but that was in troduced in 1.4.2 seems to have been (at least partially) fixed. As Cupcake elaborated we are talking about a cargo bay occlusion issue here.

No ideas how to speed this process up @Cupcake..., you did all you could I think. Let's hope this one gets included in the next batch of fixes.

It's dissapointing, keep it up still.

Laters

I hope so! The first time that bug hit I was able to pass it up to chain to Sal_Vager who got it fixed, sadly I don't really know anyone on the dev team anymore.

Cupcake...

On 4/29/2018 at 4:03 AM, Cupcake... said:

Sorry, I should have stated myself more clearly, the issue is Kerbals producing drag/being exposed to heat when they should be protected by cargo bays/fairings/material bays. For the majority of my aircraft designs this is less then ideal. :(

Cupcake...

Ah. Thought it was just with cargo bays.

Maybe a nose cone on either end to block the open nodes?

53 minutes ago, KingDominoIII said:

Ah. Thought it was just with cargo bays.

Maybe a nose cone on either end to block the open nodes?

Doesn't help unfortunately, here's the bug in action:

GW31wUZ.jpg

WoRt871.jpg

As you can see seated Kerbals are producing drag when they shouldn't. :P

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Is that bug why my cargo ship is getting drag in one odd usually asymmetrical place? I've been having super drag from certain cargo and couldn't figure out how to resolve it to do my 1k cargo to orbit attempt.

BTW, my bug creates another odd problem(or did in 1.4.2.x) when combined with the aero info... Nobody has looked at it yet but it's an odd bug. Not sure if it's one people are aware of or not.

BTW, if any normal nodes are not covered it will create super drag even if they are hidden in another item. I've dealt with that before. Treat them as if they were exposed to air. Although that does not appear to be the issue there.

Could it be something as stupid as those outside object occluding into the cargo. I'm assuming not but you who knows. I had some of that with my ship but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I actually got rid of the drag on mine by redoing the parts fresh. But then any modification again reintroduces it easily... It's odd. I was wondering if it's too touchy about placement of larger items or positions between connected cargo containers, but I have a feeling that is not the case. It does seem sudo related to when you don't properly hold down your cargo and it wobbles. Maybe it's a bug related to that. Kerbels are wobbly in chairs if I remember right.

Did salvager leave? He may have seen me do a bug report on the forums and bolted for it! >< He hates my large ships. (I've been reducing the parts counts on them by removing struts and flying in cheat mode plus making them more efficient btw.)

I also wondered if it was in any way introduced by using the copy function. But I'm assuming you did not do that on your ship. The other culprit was possible symmetry modes.

Edit: If these bugs are interrelated I noticed one oddity. If you know which side a symmetrical cargo bay has the drag problem, you can take it off replace it again and it will always be on the opposite side it was placed on. So you can make it go where you want. some times it was on both sides though, but I didn't figure out how to make that happen.

Edited by Arugela

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, Arugela said:

Is that bug why my cargo ship is getting drag in one odd usually asymmetrical place? I've been having super drag from certain cargo and couldn't figure out how to resolve it to do my 1k cargo to orbit attempt.

BTW, my bug creates another odd problem(or did in 1.4.2.x) when combined with the aero info... Nobody has looked at it yet but it's an odd bug. Not sure if it's one people are aware of or not.

BTW, if any normal nodes are not covered it will create super drag even if they are hidden in another item. I've dealt with that before. Treat them as if they were exposed to air. Although that does not appear to be the issue there.

Could it be something as stupid as those outside object occluding into the cargo. I'm assuming not but you who knows. I had some of that with my ship but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I actually got rid of the drag on mine by redoing the parts fresh. But then any modification again reintroduces it easily... It's odd. I was wondering if it's too touchy about placement of larger items or positions between connected cargo containers, but I have a feeling that is not the case. It does seem sudo related to when you don't properly hold down your cargo and it wobbles. Maybe it's a bug related to that. Kerbels are wobbly in chairs if I remember right.

Did salvager leave? He may have seen me do a bug report on the forums and bolted for it! >< He hates my large ships. (I've been reducing the parts counts on them by removing struts and flying in cheat mode plus making them more efficient btw.)

I also wondered if it was in any way introduced by using the copy function. But I'm assuming you did not do that on your ship. The other culprit was possible symmetry modes.

Edit: If these bugs are interrelated I noticed one oddity. If you know which side a symmetrical cargo bay has the drag problem, you can take it off replace it again and it will always be on the opposite side it was placed on. So you can make it go where you want. some times it was on both sides though, but I didn't figure out how to make that happen.

Wow, that's a very complex craft! It may be worth trying to re-produced the bug in a simpler design, my guess is that it will be easier to diagnose.

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.