Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

11 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

That’s an interesting craft from an interesting username.

I figured the man likes cinematics; it might inspire something. The craft could do with some more fine tuning, but it's fun, and can VTOL. I wish I'd captured the epic dive off the VAB--It was very birdlike.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh Guys,

The Vortex 2.5 has been added to the archive. The front landing gear now takes the place of the heat shield, reducing drag and allowing more fuel to be taken to orbit. DV in LKO is now 2.1k with a maximum vacuum DV of almost 2.8k. Afraid the Vortex will only work properly in 1.3 until the Kerbal occlusion bug is fixed. This design will be covered in detail in a tutorial video due to be released later this month. :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

4 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Heh Guys,

The Vortex 2.5 has been added to the archive. The front landing gear now takes the place of the heat shield, reducing drag and allowing more fuel to be taken to orbit. DV in LKO is now 2.1k with a maximum vacuum DV of almost 2.8k. Afraid the Vortex will only work properly in 3.1 until the Kerbal occlusion bug is fixed. This design will be covered in detail in a tutorial video due to be released later this month. :)

Cupcake...

*1.3 :P

• 1 month later...

While it fell far short of my exacting standards I thought this may inspire somebody out there.

exKNVkO.jpg

I've made this design work as an SSTO but with performance only marginally better then my single engine Vortex I don't think it warrants further development. :( 

Cupcake...

20 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

While it fell far short of my exacting standards I thought this may inspire somebody out there.

Still looks like a fun exercise to use those R-7 style booster tanks as main fuselages.  Interesting idea for sure.

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Still looks like a fun exercise to use those R-7 style booster tanks as main fuselages.  Interesting idea for sure.

It almost came together but the heat tolerance for those parts is pretty low (2k) which makes it quite explodey on re-entry. :( It's also quite draggy, in fact there's not much going for it aside from looks and the inbuilt separator rockets which has questionable usefulness in an SSTO anyway!

Cupcake...

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 4:48 PM, Cupcake... said:

Thought you guys might enjoy seeing the up and coming Catfish in action. ;)

I'll try and have the craft file released in a few days. :)

Cupcake...

Love this new design! Your concise craft profiles are always an inspiration for VAB time.

On 7/21/2018 at 4:48 PM, Cupcake... said:

Thought you guys might enjoy seeing the up and coming Catfish in action. ;)

I'll try and have the craft file released in a few days. :)

Cupcake...

A Cupcake video featuring a Cake song?  Too much cake? ...  nah! 

2 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

What mods do you need/how do you build that black Zodiac raft thingie, with the atmospheric analyzer for a motor?

I don't understand how it goes....

IIRC, everything Cupcake makes is stock. It looks like Texture Replacer Replaced was used to remove the EVA suit helmets. But the zodiac is made out of either a wing panel or a rovemate, with radial ore containers as the inflatable walls, two ant engines for exhaust effects, and some other rocket engine for propulsion. infinite fuel is almost certainly used.

5 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

IIRC, everything Cupcake makes is stock. It looks like Texture Replacer Replaced was used to remove the EVA suit helmets. But the zodiac is made out of either a wing panel or a rovemate, with radial ore containers as the inflatable walls, two ant engines for exhaust effects, and some other rocket engine for propulsion. infinite fuel is almost certainly used.

Oh...I see.....

Well it was cool looking...

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Heckspress said:

i mean i've downloaded it and tried to take off, but it just noses down and breaks!

I just hit T, Z, and Spacebar and let it get up to 35m/s before I pitch over. Maybe it's a difference in physics/friction/legs between versions (I'm on 1.3.1).

I just added some Sepatrons to help you get it off the ground: https://www.dropbox.com/s/veuduygpf3v508c/Bio Falcon that poops.craft?dl=0

I purposely designed this to fly slowly and gracefully, but if you want to get up to @Cupcake... levels of stunting, make the control surfaces more aggressive.

Speaking of which, this is Cupcake's thread, and I don't really want to crap it up with my stuff--This craft is just a nod to his extraordinary sense of fun and aesthetics. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. :D

6 hours ago, MisterKerman said:

That thing is great. The legs sold me on it lol. Seagulls are dumb looking.

Ha! Thanks man! The version posted above must have found some Taco Bell in the KSC's trash cans. It's got some fire coming out of its rear.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.