Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Hey there,

They should work okay, the only problem I can see is that most of my SSTOs have specially mounted intakes at the back to offset the drag of the nosecone adaptors, or cockpits and I'm not sure how these values will be affected with FAR. But yeah, give it a go anyway, I think you'll be alright.

snip...

Cupcake...

Thanks, once I have the chance to test them out i will try and get back to you about how well they handle

Kaos

A shuttlecraft has been in the back of my mind for a while, the challenge isn't so much a technical one, its more aesthetics and getting it to look right. I might give it a shot this weekend. :)

Cool - I'm looking forward to finding out what you come up with :)

Every time I see this pic I think the front Tadpole is wearing a little bow tie! :D

It has a dangerously high cuteness rating of 87.6, I try to tell people it's a serious spacecraft but all they want to do is stroke it, I dispair sometimes. :P Oh, and I'm afraid I got a bit sidetracked with the Barracuda but I'll try and find time to work on the shuttlecraft soon.

The amount of epicness in this thread is too damn high!

No, really, awesome stuff!

Cheers, that's always great to hear, thankyou. :D

just testing the Stratos T and loving how easily it handles w/ mechjeb and far and a few other mods

I guess the acid test will be taking a Stratos or Scythe into orbit and seeing what happens. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

• 2 weeks later...

snip...

I guess the acid test will be taking a Stratos or Scythe into orbit and seeing what happens. :wink:

Cupcake...

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you, my computer decided that it does not like running mods ;.; anyway, I could not get either of the SSTO's into orbit with FAR though

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you, my computer decided that it does not like running mods ;.; anyway, I could not get either of the SSTO's into orbit with FAR though

That's all good, shame the SSTOs didn't work with FAR but they're quite tightly tuned to operate with the stock atm model, oh well. :(

reckon that you could mix a dropship design with one of shuttlecrafts shuttles? The result would be epic!! :D

Good news here, work on the Queen Bee SSTO Heavy Drop Ship is well under way. :wink:

3t2wokH.jpg

63ES12P.jpg

This is the passenger version which can seat 6 Kerbals and a pilot. Every Kerbal has his or her own air conditioned cabin with mini bar and trouser press, as well as access to all the latest releases (although Gravity was removed by request of the cleaning crew). The cabins are mounted to provide easy access for both Kerbals and their luggage.

o7fon0H.jpg

I estimate the passenger version should have performance at least equal to the Barracuda, the single cockpit explorer model should be able to go a heck of a lot further!

kBORbLc.jpg

While the bones of the ship are there the testing and tuning process has a while to go, if all goes well I should have it ready for release in a week or two. :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Holy Moly! I was looking forward to seeing a Cupcake-style passenger carrier, but this is looking even better than I imagined!

(And finally, a ship with a decent trouser press!)

I'm really looking forward to its release! :D

Cool beans on the Queen Bee there Cupcake!! Where do you find the inspiration to do all these?

I can't wait for it to be released, I'm looking forward to taking it for a test flight and seeing if I can reverse-engineer something that's equally as impressive!!

I've been in such a dry spell as of late, work hasn't afforded me much time for engineering anything impressive, but I am wanting to make a carrier type vessel that VTOL and reach orbit.

Cool beans on the Queen Bee there Cupcake!! Where do you find the inspiration to do all these?

I can't wait for it to be released, I'm looking forward to taking it for a test flight and seeing if I can reverse-engineer something that's equally as impressive!!

I've been in such a dry spell as of late, work hasn't afforded me much time for engineering anything impressive, but I am wanting to make a carrier type vessel that VTOL and reach orbit.

Trouser press!?!?!

where do I sign up?

awesome stuff as always Cupcake!

Holy Moly! I was looking forward to seeing a Cupcake-style passenger carrier, but this is looking even better than I imagined!

(And finally, a ship with a decent trouser press!)

I'm really looking forward to its release! :D

Cheers for the feedback guys, I'm really glad to see people are positive about it and I'll try and get it out to you as soon as I can :). Testings going pretty well, I took off from Kerbin landed on Minmus and the Mun, and got back to KSP with plenty of fuel to spare. The main sticking point at the moment is adapting the Corby trouser press for the rigours space travel. Please spare a thought for Bill who's still in the hospital after 0g testing of the trouser press went horribly wrong.

trouser_press.jpg

There's also the agonising decision of trim, personally I'm leaning towards the Mahogany veneer which I feel adds a real touch of class to the proceedings, although the Satin Chrome finish would better match the paintwork on the Queen Bee. There's also the maple option, which looks a lot like Pine to me and offers a sense of Scandinavian sophistication, a bit like Ikea. Decisions decisions... :P

Cupcake...

cow_7700-corby-7700-trouser-press-1.jpg

Yeah, that queen bee looks great! How well do you find your basic drop ship design to be scaling? Could you conceivably make some 10 engined behemoth, or are you approaching diminishing returns yet?

Oh there's always room to add more engines, the question is where do you draw the line? :) I was initially thinking of having a long range single seater version of the Queen Bee, but I've now decided to trade that efficiency in and just concentrate on a passenger version, as a single cockpit model just didn't feel right. While I'm confident a long range version of the Queen Bee can make it to Laythe, and most likely get into orbit again you'd need a huge tanker/support fleet just to refuel it enough to get it home which kind of defeats the purpose. For me personally, the range of the Barracuda is enough, it can make it to Laythe, or Duna and return home with the help of a relatively small support fleet, if you had too much time on your hands you could even exchange the drop tanks for a long range ion kit that'll easily get you to Laythe and back, but quite frankly who can be bothered? :rolleyes:

The queen bee... Looks amazing.

Cupcake, you never cease to amaze.

Thanks! It should be ready for delivery this weekend.

Those missiles on the Banshee are amazing!

They do pack quite a wallop, they're pretty accurate too. :) That reminds me I'm still going to have to organise a challenge for all the Banshee drivers out there... :P

Oh cupcake, ju so funneh.

I'm just warming up for the annual KSP comedy gala, I've even got my witty heckler put-downs locked and loaded. Unfortunately as sharp as they are, they didn't deflect the rotten fruit that was hurled during last years event. ;.;

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

if you had too much time on your hands you could even exchange the drop tanks for a long range ion kit that'll easily get you to Laythe and back, but quite frankly who can be bothered? :rolleyes:

Cupcake...

Okay, now I have to try and do this... but question is, would the weight be too much for the turbojets to overcome upon lift off?

So in other words... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!

Okay, now I have to try and do this... but question is, would the weight be too much for the turbojets to overcome upon lift off?

So in other words... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!

I honestly don't know, maybe I should have checked beforehand. :blush: I'll get back to you if you like.

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

I honestly don't know, maybe I should have checked beforehand. :blush: I'll get back to you if you like.

Cupcake...

I remember fitting a pair of ion drives onto the bottom side of my reverse engineered version of your Stratos, and it wound up being too heavy to lift off, even with a stacked pair of turbofan engines. They may look small, but I guess Xenon gas is pretty heavy... The only way I could even fly it up to orbit was to flick on infinite fuel and engage the LV-T30 liquid engine. Once it was up though, I turned off infinite fuel, and 2 pairs of Gigantor XL Arrays and 4 RTG's was enough to give full power to the ion drives in full sunlight.

I remember fitting a pair of ion drives onto the bottom side of my reverse engineered version of your Stratos, and it wound up being too heavy to lift off, even with a stacked pair of turbofan engines. They may look small, but I guess Xenon gas is pretty heavy... The only way I could even fly it up to orbit was to flick on infinite fuel and engage the LV-T30 liquid engine. Once it was up though, I turned off infinite fuel, and 2 pairs of Gigantor XL Arrays and 4 RTG's was enough to give full power to the ion drives in full sunlight.

There's good news and bad news, the good news is the ship got into orbit easily with the ion engines & 2 gigantor panels. :wink:

0PyUEiV.jpg

Bad news is that's about as far as I've got with the testing, you're on your own from here. :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1pwprj5j1t1w94/Barracuda%20-%20SSTO%20VTOL%20CRUISER%20Model%20I.craft

3 Triggers Solar Pannels & Ion engines...

GhTXNaZ.jpg

Are you serously going to take it to Laythe with Ion engines, it makes me feel old just thinking about it. :P

Cupcake...

g a s p ! ! ! O M G ! ! !

Somebody get chair, quick! Okay, deep breaths, think of a calm summers evening, the cool water lapping gently at the shore of the lake, look ducks! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.