Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Was surprised at how heavy the Tadpole was! Gave me a shock when placing it used up almost all the payload budget!

Then again its a strong independent dropship that aint need no mothership! ;)

It can pretty much do the whole mission by itself once its been put into space!

Was surprised at how heavy the Tadpole was! Gave me a shock when placing it used up almost all the payload budget!

Then again its a strong independent dropship that aint need no mothership! ;)

It can pretty much do the whole mission by itself once its been put into space!

Ah man, I should slip you a prototype of the Gecko. Much lighter the Tadpole !!(apologies just checked and it's actually slightly heavier)!! but still puts out over 5k of Delta V and can land and return to orbit from Tylo! :)

Cupcake...

(Pls ignore the lander can on the top...) :P

JwOvsXJ.jpg

Edited by Cupcake...

Ah man, I should slip you a prototype of the Gecko. Much lighter the Tadpole but still puts out over 5k of Delta V and can land and return to orbit from Tylo!

Ah, doing under the table deals I see... ;)

I'm always amazed at the performance of these things. Would they be able to carry a small rover to the surface?

I made a lander which handled as well as one of these but the fuel was so limited it just couldn't compare. Only 1500m/s dV

Ah, doing under the table deals I see... ;)

I'm always amazed at the performance of these things. Would they be able to carry a small rover to the surface?

I made a lander which handled as well as one of these but the fuel was so limited it just couldn't compare. Only 1500m/s dV

Is this the surface of Tylo? Anyway, the awnswers yes. You've got a central cargo port under the main spar which will let you take a small rover/buggy down to the surface. You want to start from a 15k orbit and keep your descent rate below 100 m/s. Oh, and whatever you do keep the lander seperated from the fuel system on the mothership (a metal plate or decoupler above the docking port will do it), if not the fuel system goes haywire, don't ask me why. :rolleyes: Anyway, here you are. Good luck! :)

Cupcake...

http://goo.gl/Sq41y3

Edited by Cupcake...

I'm playing career mode right now, so getting my engineers and scientists leveled up is a goal. While jaunting around the Kerbol system in cool dropships, it's nice to earn XP as a side bonus. Here's how I'm currently handling Cups' de facto single-seaters.

http://imgur.com/a/zYeKq

I'm in shock! Are people really still using this craft!? :0.0:

Cupcake...

I'm in shock! Are people really still using this craft!? :0.0:

Cupcake...

Maybe just me. I'm the same guy that asked for it to be updated on YouTube. I like your larger ships. Gives me more places to stick things I'm interested in, like lights, jump-seats, and science. ;) I'd like to stick a Science Lab on it too, but that's going too far for such a sleek ship. I'm gleaning what knowledge I can from your designs as I try to perfect my own research driven all-in-one masterpiece.

Maybe just me. I'm the same guy that asked for it to be updated on YouTube. I like your larger ships. Gives me more places to stick things I'm interested in, like lights, jump-seats, and science. ;) I'd like to stick a Science Lab on it too, but that's going too far for such a sleek ship. I'm gleaning what knowledge I can from your designs as I try to perfect my own research driven all-in-one masterpiece.

Sounds great. Well, I'll try and get my new heavy cruiser released ASAP, I've got a feeling you'll quite like it. :wink:

Cupcake...

I'm trying to fit the Gecko into my dV budget atm. My only ship capable of carrying it to the Mun (and returning) is only a prototype so I'm a bit lacking atm.

Once I get it there however it could provide endless benefit to my planned base. I can just keep refuelling the thing with Kethane and using it endlessly. (As long as I don't crash it!)

I'm trying to fit the Gecko into my dV budget atm. My only ship capable of carrying it to the Mun (and returning) is only a prototype so I'm a bit lacking atm.

Once I get it there however it could provide endless benefit to my planned base. I can just keep refuelling the thing with Kethane and using it endlessly. (As long as I don't crash it!)

I guess if you're running Kethane you could transport the ship with empty tanks and just top it up at your base. I should mention that once fully fueled you've got over 5000m/s of DV to play with, so you could conceivably take off from your munar outpost, fly to the Jool system and be back in time for tea and scones. :)

Cupcake...

That's really impressive man. Your craft are staggeringly efficient and so cool looking!

That's very kind of you to say so, thankyou! :D

http://i.imgur.com/0eIBKPz.png

Holy mother of kracken what is that new camera mod and where can I get 7?

It's just the Camera Tools Mod (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.kerbalspaceprogram.com%2Fthreads%2F94171-24-2-Camera-Tools&redir_token=Nn5aAYzmaFUJkmfV8p0DeiZ9fQt8MTQyMjM5ODgwMEAxNDIyMzEyNDAw) I think I'm just getting a bit better at using it! :P

Cupcake...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
^That was a great video, I actually laughed out loud at 3:05...

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

In other news I've crossed over to the dark side and have started using editor extensions. :blush: It feels a bit cheaty but it does let me make craft that simply wouldn't be possible without it. My main project at the moment is a new version of the Pixie which is shaping up quite nicely.

okGp78w.jpg

It's currently spitting out close to 3700 m/s of Delta V which isn't bad at all. My goal is to try and get it as close to 3800 m/s as I can. This'll give it about 400 m/s over the Sprite.

HrFfzIL.jpg

Wish me luck! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

In other news I've crossed over to the dark side and have started using editor extensions. :blush: It feels a bit cheaty but it does let me make craft that simply wouldn't be possible without it.

Wish me luck! :)

Cupcake...

Dude, compared to the new gizmos, Editor extensions is not cheaty in the slightest.

Oh, and good luck!

Dude, compared to the new gizmos, Editor extensions is not cheaty in the slightest.

Oh, and good luck!

Yeah, I've been using the gizmo's quite a bit too! I must say they're great for reducing part counts. Stuff I used to do with cubic struts (recessing the landing gear, cockpit etc...) I can now do with the offset tool. Much easier. :wink:

Cupcake...

Yeah, I've been using the gizmo's quite a bit too! I must say they're great for reducing part counts. Stuff I used to do with cubic struts (recessing the landing gear, cockpit etc...) I can now do with the offset tool. Much easier. :wink:

Cupcake...

LOL I had the same feeling. The poor cubic strut doesn't get a look in anymore..

Welcome to the Dark Side! We have cookies. :)

"V" to align stuff to the middle point of another part is a godsend (even if now you can do a similar thing with the translation gizmo), and I haven't used cubic struts in ages thanks to the surface attach tool. Which incidentally, lets you do wondrous thing with fuel flow, now that you can leave the end nodes free to flow through by attaching the engines to the surface, or clip stuff to the node to stop it.

Rune. It's part of how I achieve my incredible part counts, no cubic struts and no fuel lines anywhere if I can help it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.