Jump to content

Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Jakerblam22 said:

Are these stock?

Yes, they are. The only mods I ever found in Cupcakes videos and ships are visual mods like EVE and scatterer etc, maybe some camera/recording mods, and probably he uses something like MJ or KER while building his creations to get the numbers. Some of his older and outdated combat VTOLS used the scope from BD Armory. Other than that, completely stock crafts. I downloaded many of them, and they all just worked, no part mods required, and thats one of the many nice aspects of these small and functional ships.

Edited by Dafni
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, @Cupcake...? I was wondering if you wouldn't mind about something... Remember the cute nuclear transport ship you showed some time ago and I promised to clone? Well, I short of did already:

KN0BNLT.png

That would be fine and all, but the thing is that I am finding it a very fun ship, and as a result I am using it all over the place... so much so, that it is, right now, my go-to tug for long distance cargo hauling, and as a result the new Base-In-A-Box pack is kind of built to go with it. So... would you mind it too much if I actually released my version, with all due credit of course? Think how glorious the base stacks would look! (this one is getting ready to go to Jool, loading ore propellant and life support from a Claymore, you can see the transport on the far end on the right).

7B8JMIt.png

 

Rune. It would also get enough dV to get a Base-In-A-Box and an Orca to Moho using internal tankage, which is all kinds of awesome.

Edited by Rune
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rune. You should modify the thing. Like, making its cargo container larger, and other things like that. I'd like to see large and extra-large versions, as well as some creative hull manipulating (double hulls, triple hulls, hull-in-a-hull, 2 opened hulls creating a single, flatter hull when facing each other, etc).

Very excited for these things, and I know you're the person to ask when one wants a ship to look good and be creative at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

@Rune. You should modify the thing. Like, making its cargo container larger, and other things like that. I'd like to see large and extra-large versions, as well as some creative hull manipulating (double hulls, triple hulls, hull-in-a-hull, 2 opened hulls creating a single, flatter hull when facing each other, etc).

Very excited for these things, and I know you're the person to ask when one wants a ship to look good and be creative at the same time.

As you can see on the last pic, it's designed to tow stuff, so enlarging it is real simple, add a container to the back, train style. And if you add so much that the TWR is no longer even approaching 0.1 (my 'careful, these are going to be really long burns' mark), well, it has mounting points for additional Drive Pods:

eRr4ZIc.png

 

Rune. I knew I had a pic burning towards Jool.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rune said:

As you can see on the last pic, it's designed to tow stuff, so enlarging it is real simple, add a container to the back, train style. And if you add so much that the TWR is no longer even approaching 0.1 (my 'careful, these are going to be really long burns' mark), well, it has mounting points for additional Drive Pods:

eRr4ZIc.png

 

Rune. I knew I had a pic burning towards Jool.

This is the best thing I have ever seen. Will experiment in RSS.

Speaking of realism overhaul, I think that this can be used as a good lander. Perhaps I`d have to put VTOL lander engines inside the cargo bay to improve. Then I`ll see about the module-stuffing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing cupcake's new atmospheric VTOL got me building one tonight:

vZyyNnE.png

a bit of a quickie, but I think I'm going to keep it, and tune it up a bit. The afterburners on the Panthers give it great handling and attitude control, though I'm still trying to figure out a payload for the center bay, as the front and rear bays are crew compartments...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/05/2016 at 11:18 PM, Heckspress said:

It's....

Beautiful. Like the Mork but not quite.

Is the underwater base going in your "Odds and Ends" thread? I'd love that.

Sorry, I wasn't planning to include it as it was only built as a test rig for the sub. I'd be open to including it but I want it to function as a working refinery first. How about a dune buggy instead? :wink:

https://goo.gl/fjWtlr

gSdxDbD.jpg

cTt6rEx.jpg

13 hours ago, Rune said:

Hey, @Cupcake...? I was wondering if you wouldn't mind about something... Remember the cute nuclear transport ship you showed some time ago and I promised to clone? Well, I short of did already:

That would be fine and all, but the thing is that I am finding it a very fun ship, and as a result I am using it all over the place... so much so, that it is, right now, my go-to tug for long distance cargo hauling, and as a result the new Base-In-A-Box pack is kind of built to go with it. So... would you mind it too much if I actually released my version, with all due credit of course? Think how glorious the base stacks would look! (this one is getting ready to go to Jool, loading ore propellant and life support from a Claymore, you can see the transport on the far end on the right).

Rune. It would also get enough dV to get a Base-In-A-Box and an Orca to Moho using internal tankage, which is all kinds of awesome.

Of course mate, you go right on ahead! I like what you've done with the concept btw. :cool:

7 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Seeing cupcake's new atmospheric VTOL got me building one tonight:

vZyyNnE.png

a bit of a quickie, but I think I'm going to keep it, and tune it up a bit. The afterburners on the Panthers give it great handling and attitude control, though I'm still trying to figure out a payload for the center bay, as the front and rear bays are crew compartments...

My word! :0.0: Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to use the "big boy" engines! :blush:

 

Cupcake...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ThePixeledFox said:

could i request the smallest lightest most efficiant drop ship for evil-eve ?

Please explain, are you looking for a dropship that flies on Eve??

@Cupcake... nice buggy! But with Jeb on the wheel... I dont know... looks a bit unsafe for the Kerbals: no rollcage! ... at least give them helmets :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ThePixeledFox said:

could i request the smallest lightest most efficiant drop ship for evil-eve ?

Small and light aren't usually words you'd associate with Eve however the Mindy will probably make a good final stage for whatever behemouth can propel it into the upper athmosphere! :P

3 hours ago, Dafni said:

Please explain, are you looking for a dropship that flies on Eve??

@Cupcake... nice buggy! But with Jeb on the wheel... I dont know... looks a bit unsafe for the Kerbals: no rollcage! ... at least give them helmets :D

A roll cage? Next thing you know they'll be asking for seatbelts. :rolleyes:

 

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2016 at 3:03 AM, Cupcake... said:

My word! :0.0: Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to use the "big boy" engines! :blush:

 

Cupcake...

The first thing I thought of when I first saw that the Panther engines had afterburners was "Hey, these would be great for VTOLs.  After all, didn't Cupcake say that a good air breathing VTOL need some switchable extra thrust for sudden maneuvers?"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here´s a sketch of a science station, complete with two Cypher landers and massive interplanetary tug stage. The thing gets assembled and fueled in Kerbin orbit and then flies out to the planets, the Kerbals can go and collect surface samples and do the science... no return ticket at this point though. :blush:

bTSe7AL.jpg

Edited by Dafni
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2016 at 8:07 AM, Dafni said:

Here´s a sketch of a science station, complete with two Cypher landers and massive interplanetary tug stage. The thing gets assembled and fueled in Kerbin orbit and then flies out to the planets, the Kerbals can go and collect surface samples and do the science... no return ticket at this point though. :blush:

What is the range on those Cypher landers like?  I mean, what kind of planetary bodies can they get to and from assuming the mothership was in low orbit?  Duna?  Kerbin?  Eve?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

What is the range on those Cypher landers like?  I mean, what kind of planetary bodies can they get to and from assuming the mothership was in low orbit?  Duna?  Kerbin?  Eve?  

It can do Val, Duna, Moho, Dres etc quite happily. It can also land on Tylo and make it back to orbit if refueled on the surface. Powered landings on Kerbin and Laythe are also options. :wink:

 

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...
Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. With some fuel dumps stored around the solar system, or some ISRU rigs on the bigger planets, the Cypher can go most anywhere. Except Eve, but we never talk about Eve anyway :) Really, it's a great little lander, very efficient, low part count, perfect IVA visibility... what can you want more in a dropship lander?  I think its no surprise Cupcake kept that one in the fleet and I hope it sticks around.

cheers

Daf

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Cupcake, 

As always love the toys you keep putting out.

I've been kind of inspired to start shrinking as well, and I have hit quite the wall with this little bugger and would love some input.

I've been trying to make a very small two man Eve Ascent Vehicle, and I've got the basics of the pod down, but can't seem to come up with a configuration that works to get it up and down.  To save fuel, I've been working with the idea of deorbiting with a tug and then landing with just chutes, brakes, and an inflatable heatsheild, but I cant seem to come up with a design that works.

Here's the pod: 

Any help would be great!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Himynameisjake said:

Hey Cupcake, 

As always love the toys you keep putting out.

I've been kind of inspired to start shrinking as well, and I have hit quite the wall with this little bugger and would love some input.

I've been trying to make a very small two man Eve Ascent Vehicle, and I've got the basics of the pod down, but can't seem to come up with a configuration that works to get it up and down.  To save fuel, I've been working with the idea of deorbiting with a tug and then landing with just chutes, brakes, and an inflatable heatsheild, but I cant seem to come up with a design that works.

Here's the pod: 

Any help would be great!

Afraid like a lot of people I've put Eve into the "too hard" basket. :( Out of all my designs the Mindy has the most potential as a (1 man) upper stage for an Eve ascent rocket. Maybe give that design a try and see if you get any inspiration? Sorry I couldn't be more help. :P

 

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...
Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazed I didn't spot this earlier but the latest versions of the Mindy, Mork and Siren can fit in MK2 cargo bays. :cool:

im0tHSm.jpg

The Mindy especially is a perfect fit for the small cargo bay with enough space left over for a Round 8 drop tank or two. :wink:

 

Cupcake...

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cupcake... said:

Amazed I didn't spot this earlier but the latest versions of the Mindy, Mork and Siren can fit in MK2 cargo bays. :cool:

im0tHSm.jpg

The Mindy especially is a perfect fit for the small cargo bay with enough space left over for a Round 8 drop tank or two. :wink:

 

Cupcake...

Whoa. I didn't realize it was quite that small. Neat!

In other news... you posted the pic of a SSTO! Pretty nice one too. One tiny comment on that: nowadays intakes are very OP, you have waaay too many for just two RAPIERs in there, and are paying for that in a slightly worse mass fraction, and extra drag. One precooler/RAPIER is enough, and actually the pointy circular intake is already excessive for a single RAPIER.

 

Rune. Airhogging is a distant memory these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rune said:

Whoa. I didn't realize it was quite that small. Neat!

In other news... you posted the pic of a SSTO! Pretty nice one too. One tiny comment on that: nowadays intakes are very OP, you have waaay too many for just two RAPIERs in there, and are paying for that in a slightly worse mass fraction, and extra drag. One precooler/RAPIER is enough, and actually the pointy circular intake is already excessive for a single RAPIER.

 

Rune. Airhogging is a distant memory these days.

Thanks for the info! :wink: I'm still trying to get my head round the whole SSTO thing, they've changed so much since I played around with them last. :P

 

Cupcake...

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...