Poll: Kerbal Space Program's Mun Landers

Can you land on the Mun and Return successfully?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can you land on the Mun and Return successfully?

• Yes. I will post a picture as proof.
    • No. I am still learning!

Well, I did return, but I lost the pictures a long time ago. But, to sastify your thoughts, here's my moonbase.

SKy1GYq.png

See that little conical lander up there, past the communication tower? That's the lander that tool me to the moon. And back. If you look closely, you should be able to make out it's poodle underneath the fuel tank. The main base was assembled as a station and landed after 20 quicksaves.

Apparently I voted but never posted proof, let me dig up some picture then.

My most recent Apollo style landing:

RE3vXy2.png

ZZ7zzuL.png

and here's from a few months ago for the Armstrong memorial challenge:

wKtfH.png

aO3BK.jpg

udBNK.png

Welp, interesting question but good enough. > : D

I have 2 different mun rockets atm, 1 mun rover, and 1 mun probe.

My first mun rocket is amazing because it can land and return as one ship.

The second one I KIINDA cheated...maybe? Idk. I took the stock Super Heavy Lander and added an ascent stage, CSM, and launch vehicle. Here it is...

The Orbital stage (after the jettison of the launch vehicle, I used an Anvil rocket)

hymmiTl.jpg

Jettison of Orbital stage after injection/retrofire. Like Apollo, there is a CSM/LEM. Unlike Apollo, the astronauts don't leave the LEM until after takeoff...in fact, they don't set foot in the CSM until the return to Kerbin.

ug0FQ6b.jpg

In case you didn't guess already, I am from Puerto Rico. XDDD

hhCLxXK.jpg

My ascent stage is great because it has a firm, stable SAS lock, and the RCS thrusters are placed perfectly, no accidental tilting because of asymmetry. (am I using that word correctly?)

Z32b2xQ.jpg

After jettisoning the Service Module, The capsule provides a great layer of heatshielding for me to be able to say Honey, I'm Home after all of this.

ryjlqkV.jpg

THERE YA GO :D

Is that UFO a mod? That would be AWESOME! If there was a mod where you found traces of alien life or something and you could investigate......god that would be cool.

It isn't a UFO mod. It's an actual easter egg in the game. There are multiple of them, I believe.

I've had a few problems landing on the Mun this week due to a weird bug but I loaded it up today and the bug was strangely gone and managed to land numerous times to prove that it wasn't a fluke landing.

The reason was I was dropping a heavy nuke powered lander.... and it kept flipping over. Now it lands fine. I found the bug... I had borrowed some fuel from one of the main tanks and the darn thing was unbalanced lol. Rebalanced the tanks and it flies fine.... ooops.

Here is the new two stage heavy lander right next to my MEM first stage remains from a previous mission.

k4jgGeH.png

YYECKnj.png

Well, I decided i didn't have anything better to do last night, and slapped this together, and did the whole mission including build in about 40 minutes. I was going to land near the Neil Armstrong Memorial, then thought I should visit a Mun arch instead. Only problem is I forgot where they were! Jeb blames Bill for the poor landing site.

35g8LPr.jpg?1

0x1ikZS.png?1

I know the nukes were overkill. In fact, the launch stage was overkill (it actually got me to the Mun), but I figured I'd make something that could go other places, like Duna or Gilly, which is why it's got docking ports.

Edited by Merinsan

I'm not sure what the 'normal' time for the average player is to make something that goes to the mun.

Ive been playing for about a week now. So far ive only managed to make nice orbits around Kerbal, do a spacewalk, and make satellites.

Ive watched a lot of youtube videos to try to figure out how to use the 'add maneuver' properly.

While I *have figured out what each of them does, using this tool to reach other planets or moons so far has eluded me. I tend to use most all my fuel just trying to get my orbit right to match the plane-of-orbit of my destination. After that I cant seem to figure out how to manipulate it right to hit a destinations trajectory.

I have seen some folks use 'cheat' methods like burning at a certain point on the horizon, etc, but id prefer to do it 'right' using the tools i have. This said, i dont want to have to use a calculator or do math either.

The only mods I have added is the 'Worlds Flags' and "Kw Rocketry'.

I don't want to use that auto pilot mod either.

here is two pics of my new satellite named 'star bright'. was hoping to make it have enough lights i could see it at night from the surface.

first one is after i staged. bottom stage passes me up. got my lights all turned on. night side of the planet.

STARBRIGHT.jpg

here is a pic after i changed my orbit and unfurled her solar's.

STARBRIGHT2.jpg

Edited by halcyon

Scouts honor. Returned from there just last night in fact. Jeb died in a horrific rover crash, but Bill and Henfrod came home. The rover rolled over and spilled Jeb and then rolled on top of him. Jeb's suit popped like a balloon. It was kinda funny, in fact. Foomp!

I docked with Gilly

8463622995_830f869d7a_c.jpg

Not sure i'm doing this right :confused:

lmao! great pic, great landing!

Here's a two stage lander I did today. I put the Mun lander module into orbit on a separate flight and then joined it with the command module.

*snip*

3f7ZfGa.png

*snip*

nice lander and apollo style mission

snip*

871eaed52a32.png

*snip

This ^^ !! its all about the look of concentration and deep concern. I guess I'd be pretty concerned if I was told I'd be leaving a planet on what basically looks like a rubber ring covered in tin foil.

Some really nice craft in here, the above 3 just caught my eye, but all the posts in here are cool and unique.

I've not been on the forms much in awhile (boring RL etc), its nice to see that Mun is still a focus and not just forgotten about. There is something special about Mun, no matter how many times I've landed on it, I still enjoy landing on it. I prefer non-atmo landings anyway, but perhaps is 'cos Mun's gravity is just right, I don't know what it is but I still enjoy a trip to Mun!

I don't tend to do proper "missions" to Mun much these day, but it gets used a lot as a test planet for other missions. These are some recent pics from a test mission, its a mission bound for Duna but being tested on Mun;

I didn't have any pics of the landing. There are two landers, the further one is unmanned and comes with a rover and several modules which the rover moves into place.

When the crew land they use KAS connectors to hook the modules together.

u9L6RnTl.jpgCOCof7dm.jpgCmNIVyfm.jpg

The crew then leave in a small ascent module on top of the hab lander (which has now been improved to be more inside the hab lander). In the full mission (with larger crew) this module will only be used to shuttle crew to an orbiting craft and then will come back down and land directly on-top of the hab lander and redock (that took some practicing!). From Mun thou, it can make it home on its own.

nXCweCVl.jpg7lI5MNil.jpg7pjS2vhm.jpgFusiQKIm.jpgqDwhuQhm.jpgo5necq5m.jpg

qHdM5Czm.jpgE3FKZDAm.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.