Vanilla or Mods?

Lobo1544

I like the mods. Having extra parts and plugin aids make the game far more enjoyable. Mechjeb is a must, it takes the tedium out of endless launches, the Smart A.S.S. and the statistic panels are essential. Crew Manifest does something that should be stock, that is, the internal transfer of crew between docked ships. Kethane and Mapping add to gameplay and HOME modules are so useful and look good.

Why on Kerbin would anyone stay stock?

Maybe mods are (in a way) more entertaining (for me not really), but there is no challenge any more. Of course, some additional parts that the game would need in stock are ok, but Mechjeb is just doing everything for you. The only mod i REALLY like is Kethane, because it doesent make the game easier or something, it just adds a new challenge and, fortunatley, a real reason to land somewhere. Unfortunatley, the jet-rocket engine they bring does not work and after using it in a rocket or plane(launching it) the engine just dissapears out of the parts list. I ll have to Report this bug at the Kethane Thread later. Anyway, for example mapsat or Mechjeb just make the game easier and for me, really not entertaining or challenging any more.

First, the devs have said that autopilots will not be in the stock game. Second, there were actually several instances of manually controlled spacecraft. Niel Armstrong had to land my hand, and I've heard that Apollo 13 also had to do some things by hand.

Right! No Autopilot should be implemented. there still should be mods for people who like autopilot, but these people shouldn't say afterwards:"I am so a good player, I just landed at Laythe myself!" - that isn't true, because these people cheated. I have no problem with cheaters, but they shouldn't gloat about such a success.

Right! No Autopilot should be implemented. there still should be mods for people who like autopilot, but these people shouldn't say afterwards:"I am so a good player, I just landed at Laythe myself!" - that isn't true, because these people cheated. I have no problem with cheaters, but they shouldn't gloat about such a success.
I agree with you that Mechjeb shouldn't be implemented in the game but please don't call it cheating! HackGravity and infinite fuel are cheats but not Mechjeb.

The reason they don't plan to include an autopilot is that you won't need one. In the full game they intend to make, Kerbals will gain experience by flying and eventually be able to perform missions themselves while you are elsewhere. So your pilots will be your autopilots. That's also why they've said SAS and ASAS are stopgap measures; kerbals will take over the job of stabilizing the ship as well. Come to think of it, this might explain why manned capsules have so much more control torque than probes. I wonder if that will represent not just the capacities of the part, but the fact that the capsules assume a pilot will be at the controls as well?

Okay. So they don't want realism. I can handle that.

Um... I think you just commited a strawman fallacy. Just because the devs have stated they don't want an autopilot in the base game it doesn't mean they don't want realism. It just means they don't want an autopilot.

I for one don't care if mechjeb is in the base game or not. I fly things manually because I like to fly them manually. However you know what's the first mod I install on a new version? Mechjeb. Because when I test my craft before I fly or release them on the exchange I like to make sure MechJeb can pilot them well enough for those who like to use it.

I'm an enthusiastic noob at this game, so my opinion probably doesn't count as much. Been playing for two weeks now. My achievements so far are limited. I've gone to both mun and minmus, with rovers, and returned safely. I've spent hours doing successful 3-connector dockings. I,ve landed on Eve. So far I haven't touched any plugs, if I ever do I suspect I will start playing the game in a completely different way. And I wouldn't want that.

The only reason to try any plugs for me would be to make use of base game features that are yet to be useful. However I would much more prefer to wait for whatever intentions the ksp team has in store for those.

I try out mods, in a second KSP game, if i like them, i add them too my main game, if they are imho too much off, too the vanilla game, i just remove them again..

Few mods, i know will eventually be replaced by ingame mechanics, like Autopilots (kerbals take over that role), Kethane (planned resources) too name a few temporairy mods..

I have too wait and see how the final game will have for contents and goals, but imho it its current state, the vanilla game is lacking and i fill these gaps up with mods for now..

No idear once the game has gone gold, what mods i will use, time will tell.. But there are some mods that i see as well, Must-have's, and some are just partionally handy.

But my game leaning towards Vanilla still, with just those few mods that i find too handy too have.

• 1 month later...

I play stock only. Every time I install mods the game seems to get less fun for me.

I don't use Mechjeb because the player is the autopilot.

Edited by Holo

All depends. I really like vanilla, but colonizing laythe with bobcat H.O.M.E modules and a KAS crane system was loads of fun too. I haven't started to get into kethane yet since I am really wanting to wait for vanilla resources but it looks sweet.

My favorite mod would have to be KAS - works so well to move things around and I will be checking out the remote launch pad and mission controller before long.

Basically, whatever lets you have the most fun.

...Later

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.