[WIP] FLEXrack - Portable Payload Racks

nothke

Update: This project is DEAD! Go

here for explanation.

Inspired by the real ISS ISPR, ESP and Space Shuttle Middeck Locker systems, Kerbal Interplanetary Standards Organisation (KISO) presents:

FLEXrack

FLEXrack (flexible rack) is a portable Kerbal sized rack for use in carrying experiment equipment, generators, computer systems and what not.. It has been designed to be attached to practically anything by any Kerbal taking an EVA (that is, if he took enough screws). We must note that it fits particulary well around girders. The rack is an open-source standardized system, meaning it's completely customizable and could be used for just about anything that you can make fit inside. The racks are specially designed to fit into 1.25, 2.5 and 3.75 cargo bays without much space loss and where they could be easility accessed for performing experiments.

Construction: The rack is basically a perforated steel frame to which the predesigned shielding panels can be attached. While the entire front face can instead be used for example for experiment interfaces or payload access hatches, which are again, screwed to the frame. Smartly enough, the perforations also allow the signature attach-to-anything phylosophy of FLEXracks, as you can use the same screws for attachment to other surfaces or even other FLEXracks. The shielding panels provide holes with intuitive "SCREW HERE" signs to provide exactly this capability without the need to detach the panels.

MIX drawer

the MIcro eXperiment drawers are designed in such a way that exactly 6 of them can fit inside a single FLEXrack. They provide the standardized customizability like FLEXracks, while smaller, lighter and (optionally) with a steel case that is especially suited for hazardous or volatile payload or substances that need to stay in a controlled atmospheric enviroment. However, unlike FLEXracks or SuperStrapTM baglets, they cannot be attached to everything, to ensure handling safety and reduce complexity. They are also specifically capable of being used inside science FLEXracks for directly doing research in harsh conditions like space is.

zT7XTdt.png?1

SuperStrapTM packages

These light packages are used for containing small amounts of not that hazardous resources, perfect for everyday picnics. They come in various shapes, like utiility bags, metal containers or gas bottles, but all have the benefit of ingeniously positioned SuperStrapsTM that allow the packages to be attached to absolutely anything! The straps on the bags also tighten them up helping contain the snacks from spilling in case of all-too-common zipper malfunction. They can also used as "backpacks", to provide a longer run EVA with an extended fuel (0.23), water or snacks.

Q6HZfNwl.jpg

FBJin6pl.jpg

Design notes:

I decided to take ISPR as an inspiration, and not a boxy ESP cause it just isn't that appealing, cool or challenging enough to just design a box that fits everywhere... Also, boxes would leave lots of empty space in rounded hulls.

It is designed to fit in a 1.25m, 2.5m and 3.75m hulls within specialized frames, that come in open or cargo door variants (to blend seamlessly with standard hull). One fits in 1m, 4 in 2.5 and 10 racks in 3.75

After seeing the EVA grab system in a wonderful Kerbal Attachment System by KospY, I had to try it out with the racks, and it works! Now they are also portable and moveable, just like the real ISPR ones

Edited by nothke

Looks really good. I also think this will have a lot of potential, especially when the inventory system for Kerbals will be added. Or to make supply flights for your spacestation more than just fuel Transfer. The Quality of the animations+textures is already very good, im really looking forward for the "final" ones.

Looks really good. I also think this will have a lot of potential, especially when the inventory system for Kerbals will be added. Or to make supply flights for your spacestation more than just fuel Transfer. The Quality of the animations+textures is already very good, im really looking forward for the "final" ones.

I was thinking that too. I imagine a plugin that measures laundry used, and you could dump it out into the atmosphere for burning up.

A well tought mod and animations looks great! Can you try them with a simple small rover ?=) I saw a documentary about the moon launding and the work behind and there was two gentlemen who designed what would hold the rover when it was folded. Great work

Hm... it looks like the up vector for the parts (once you attach them again) is defaulting to the global up vector... Might be worth talking to KospY about for a KAS update. It's a pretty easy fix so he should be able to do it fairly quick. Looks good so far, can't wait to see it in action with resources or Kethane :D

This is looking really nice !!! :0.0:

What you did it here is very similar to what I thinked about a cargo system in KSP. Did you get inspired by the DeltaGlider payload of DanSteph from Orbiter too ?

What do you think of some kind of collaboration between KAS and KASPAR ? I can adapt some module of KAS to make your frame and cargo working better.

For exemple, the 1.25m frame cargo hold can be improved by using the KASModulePartBay, so you can fit the cargo back to his position in the frame easly. (like the hook bay of KAS)

However, I need to find a way to align the rotation correctly in the bay. As hooks are round and I'm uncomfortable with Unity rotation things (quaternion), I didn't align them but for cargo that will be definitly needed.

About the 2m frame, there is 4 storage location and the module didn't support this for now, but I can improve it.

As we can't set a context menu on a specific collider/model of a part, I see two solutions :

- Add multiple context menu so you can choose the destination position (but that can be weird because Kerbal will be able to place a cargo on the other side)

- Detect the nearest location and store the part on it. (maybe the best way ?)

Edited by KospY

This is looking really nice !!! :0.0:

What you did it here is very similar to what I thinked about a cargo system in KSP. Did you get inspired by the DeltaGlider payload of DanSteph from Orbiter too ?

Thank you! Your mod is amazing! Thank you so much! I flew Delta glider looong time ago, and hmm.. I don't remember that there was cargo system :huh: My inspiration came from ISPR on the ISS. Later I found out about the external pallets, so this is like a blend between the two.

What do you think of some kind of collaboration between KAS and KASPAR ? I can adapt some module of KAS to make your frame and cargo working better.

Absolutely! I really need someone who knows to write plugins, cause I can't speak C#, but I do speak in polys xD. So I am much more into modelling. Oh, I just realized KASPAR begins with KAS xD I didn't see this before.. I should change the name to prevent confusion. I also realized I tend to say KASPAR rack, so, that's a "rack rack".. I have to say it is quite hard to create a name that would be usable, witty and still mean something. Much harder than the modelling itself xD

For example, the 1.25m frame cargo hold can be improved by using the KASModulePartBay, so you can fit the cargo back to his position in the frame easly. (like the hook bay of KAS)

However, I need to find a way to align the rotation correctly in the bay. As hooks are round and I'm uncomfortable with Unity rotation things (quaternion), I didn't align them but for cargo that will be definitly needed.

Yes, I realized rotation was unimportant cause of the small size and roundness of KAS connector. There is also another problem, there should be a configurable attachment point (of the rack) and an "up" orientation, currently the rack attaches on its pivot, so I had to move the pivot to the end, and that messes up the CoG and the "cursor point" in VAB.

Is it also possible to change the green ball of the attach preview into a green full size part preview (like in VAB)? So you can see what orientation and position would exactly be. It would be amazing if you could rotate it around the up axis during the preview (using the mouse scroll maybe? taking into account you could freeze camera zoom during it). Or in the other way to make it align with the ship rotation, but if it is more complicated than scroll rotate would be better IMO. I mean I know everything is possible, it's just the matter how hard is it?

About the 2m frame, there is 4 storage location and the module didn't support this for now, but I can improve it.

As we can't set a context menu on a specific collider/model of a part, I see two solutions :

- Add multiple context menu so you can choose the destination position (but that can be weird because Kerbal will be able to place a cargo on the other side)

- Detect the nearest location and store the part on it. (maybe the best way ?)

Haha, I thought of the same thing that it is simple to make it like with labels on the front of each bay that says: port side, starboard, aft, and then in the menu you would click "place in port side bay", but then it would be possible to put it in the starboard bay as well, on the other side. That is why I just went with the surface attachment and not with attach points. Detect nearest would be much better, except there might be a chance that there is confusion if another bay is near, for example it would be probably very very hard to place the racks in those middle places in the 3m frame. I could make it possible to fly in, though.

Woah, this is awesome. In fact - this is brilliant idea and this is exactly what was needed as hell, for this game.

Btw, this cargo pods also could be helpfull on planet's surfaces. it's just need to develop some kinda transports for them, but this is not problem, after all ^_^

Also, very great models and textures quality, sir. =)

I would Add Another 45 degree chamfer on the flat corners so it didn't clip into the sides.

The circle that you see in this screenshot is actually the frame, one above and one below the racks, the bay doors are thinner and they don't clip, the frame should hold the rack edges for stability so it looks as it is clipping in the top wire view. You can see this clearly in the 3d render.

But yes, generally, things need some minor scaling and adjustment

This is one of the best mods I've seen in a while.

Would this be compatible with the resource system?

That is, if you added oxygen to one of the cargo containers would a life support mod like Ioncross Crew Support Plugin be able to use it?

This is one of the best mods I've seen in a while.

Would this be compatible with the resource system?

That is, if you added oxygen to one of the cargo containers would a life support mod like Ioncross Crew Support Plugin be able to use it?

Actually, I am working on a new life support system with EsvDefcon. KASPAR is actually a spinoff of my R&D for the LS system. We needed something smaller, portable and flexible to carry tanks and generators.

But you could make your own rack with whatever properties you want, so it's completely configurable.

yeah it would be a case of duplicating the part and changing the resource - would be quick and easy way of getting neat storage of small amounts of RCS or kethane. I look forward to this.

Personally i think finish off the 2.5 first and then do the 1.25 then the 3. but thats cause i want to play with it :P

very useful, especially if you get to orbit and realise you forgot something

"ah just chuck out the auxillary batteries and fit a new RCS tank from the space station"

genuis!

If Kospy is willing to give away some trade secrets, these pods could be adapted to have a sort of built-in connector port for extracting resources out of them (or putting them in). This would allow them to serve a proper resource container functionality without too too much more work. I mean it would be kind of weird to transfer things like food (eventually) through a tiny wire unless it was some sort of gross grey nutrient broth, but whatever.

Unity rotation things (quaternion)

You can also use Transform.eulerAngles to get the rotations of the object in question. http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Transform-eulerAngles.html

It's a lesser-known feature of UnityEngine.Transform, yet it really helps if you don't understand or care to invest years in understanding quaternions (I think the only thing that quaternions have going for them is a lower memory usage... which makes no sense... :huh:). Vector3s are a lot better than Vector4s in my opinion.

Hey man, this is great. I'm not sure, I haven't checked, but these parts you're kinda sorta basing this off of, have not been claimed for the ISS Project, link in my sig.

Cant wait to see this become reality. I love the idea, and want to make sure to implement this into upcoming station designs. May I suggest an airlock-like piece for cargo modules destined for the interiors of the station they're attached to? Id suggest 2m diameter, but only enough space for one cargo container to fit into the hatch. But I leave the design, and choice to implement, to your disgression

Good luck working out all the kinks!