[WIP] FLEXrack - Portable Payload Racks

nothke

You know, guys, they're not mutually exclusive. :) There's no reason that Nothke can't release his own system for independent use, while still 'licensing', if you will, other mods to use the design as part of their systems. For instance, ZZZ, a modeler who makes excellently detailed parts of all kinds, has released most of his stuff on his own thread, just sort of saying 'here you go, do what you want with them'. But at the same time there are at least 2 other mods that I know of using his greenhouse part for their own purposes, KAS uses a re-skinned version of his boxes, and KSP Interstellar started out using his heat radiator in 3 different sizes, and has since moved to having him design most of their parts outright.

Point is, Nothke could and should certainly do his own thing, while Sumghai can and should do a modified version for his purposes, and KAS could and also should add a version that suits their needs. Everyone wins, because more players will have access even if they choose not to use this or that particular mod. Capisce?

My opinion, worth what you paid for it. :)

You know, guys, they're not mutually exclusive. :) There's no reason that Nothke can't release his own system for independent use, while still 'licensing', if you will, other mods to use the design as part of their systems. For instance, ZZZ, a modeler who makes excellently detailed parts of all kinds, has released most of his stuff on his own thread, just sort of saying 'here you go, do what you want with them'. But at the same time there are at least 2 other mods that I know of using his greenhouse part for their own purposes, KAS uses a re-skinned version of his boxes, and KSP Interstellar started out using his heat radiator in 3 different sizes, and has since moved to having him design most of their parts outright.

Point is, Nothke could and should certainly do his own thing, while Sumghai can and should do a modified version for his purposes, and KAS could and also should add a version that suits their needs. Everyone wins, because more players will have access even if they choose not to use this or that particular mod. Capisce?

I believe that was the point I made earlier in this thread.

KASPAR is simply a *different* form factor to the standard KAS containers zzz made, which nothke would implement as a public, shared standard that other add-on authors could remix to as they desire.

• 2 weeks later...

nothke, I heard rumors that your PM inbox has been overfilled, such that you cannot receive any more PMs currently. I guess I'll have to ask you right here.

Anyway, have you finalized the basic geometry of the KASPAR racks? If so, could you please upload the Blender files to Dropbox, etc? I'm going to start working on the actual bay of my Karmony Warehouse module, and I need to make sure I can fit your racks inside my bays while leaving some room for the rotating magazine and hull of the module itself.

(This is here, instead of in your PMs for the same reasons posted by sumghai)

//Prerecorded message\\

Dear... *Off microphone* What's his name again?...

Ahem... Dear Nothke,

Ban-Anad here, founder and proprietor of the Cabana Corporation! As you may or may not know, Cabana Corp.'s newest project, called the "Expanded SCIENCE!" Initiative, is looking to... Well... Expand the scientific scope and capabilities of Kerbals in space! In this extent, our Research and Development Department is developing new and exciting experiments for Kerbals to perform while in space. Not only that but our programmers at the "Theoretically Scientific" Division have been hard at work coding the software for Data Storage Drives!

Now, while the prospect of storing your experimental data onto hard drives based on Mit value is still rather far off, many of the experiments devised by the "Misapplied Sciences" and "Occult Practices" Divisions are mostly done! We... just lack a container of some kind that would allow for the storage of the equipment required to perform said experiments. Because simply duct-taping a hamster onto a solid booster doesn't end well... for either party. We still have PETA breathing down our necks on that one! Apparently it's "immoral" and "unethical" and... *Off microphone* What's that other thing they said? Oh! Right- "Inhumane"!

*Short pause, muffled talking in the background*

Anyway! This is why I... ugh... "We" at the Cabana Corporation have come to address you!

Would you be willing to allow the engineers at the Misapplied Sciences Division to use the KASPAR payload and rack system to store the equipment for upcoming "Expanded SCIENCE!" experiments? If so, would you be willing to design several models of the KASPAR payload container with the "Expanded SCIENCE!" experiments in mind?

Should you accept, you will of course retain any and all copyright and ownership of the containers' models and design but not their contents which will remain the property of the Cabana Corporation. Details on desired features for Cabana Corp.-specific containers would be provided upon your acceptance.

You are welcome to take your due time in consideration to our offer and I do wish you a fine day!

Ban-Anad, out!

//Message End\\

Unfortunately I can't get into KASPAR until I finish and publish Kerbin City build 2, which is a few more days. Also a few more real life things are slowing me down a lot.

sumghai: The width is the only thing I am not sure quite sure about. The other dimensions are final. I will send you the model as soon as I can.

BananaDealer: I will consider your offer, but when I come back to this project =)

• 3 weeks later...
i just have one question for you nothke which is why the name change of KASPAR to FlexRack? is it due to the idea that the name would make people think that this is an extension of KAS or what?

I never really liked the name, 1st the true meaning was too complicated, 2nd it starts with KAS as you said, 3rd sounds like Casper the friendly ghost, 4th it finishes with R which stands for "Rack" and some people said Kaspar rack, therefore "..rack rack". I needed something more simple and solving other problems. I was about to leave the project entirely just cause I couldn't find the right name xD then I said, something reaaaally simple, almost stupid and it'll work.

I never really liked the name, 1st the true meaning was too complicated, 2nd it starts with KAS as you said, 3rd sounds like Casper the friendly ghost, 4th it finishes with R which stands for "Rack" and some people said Kaspar rack, therefore "..rack rack". I needed something more simple and solving other problems. I was about to leave the project entirely just cause I couldn't find the right name xD then I said, something reaaaally simple, almost stupid and it'll work.

But now there's no Kerbal in the word...

ok good to know although shouldn't you change the link you have to this page from KASPAR to FlexRack at some point before it gets confusing?

Love the idea :) your texture modeling skills are also quite impressive :) it always bugs me when someone makes an extremely useful mod but has horrible textures, but you sir, your mod is ingenious and BEAUTIFUL :D

*insert applause here*

Will be waiting for the final release :)

enhanced-buzz-28895-1301694293-0.jpg