[WIP] FLEXrack - Portable Payload Racks

nothke

Sorry guys, I've been AFK for a month. It's the first moment I see a computer with connection now, and first thing I do is check KSP progress xD I see 0.21 is out and can't wait to get home and continue developing the racks and dromoman. I've got a full head of ideas too =) see you soon when I'm home.

- Greetings from Lyon airport, Nothke

Such great news! I use your arm pack a lot and love it! Combined with KAS it's darn near perfection!

I agree, climberyperson. To have one(or more) of the medium-sized cylindrical parts filled with KASPAR boxes would be perfect for a station or base. Open it up, pull out the waste, pop in the fresh supplies then close it back up, like an airlock. It's just perfect, even for ground bases or using a robotic arm instead of a kerbal to shuffle them around. Just good stuff.

Not sure about recycling parts, though. I feel like they should have their own intricate-looking parts, like a small, medium or large(or one of each) module you attach to your stations or bases. Fustek or HOME parts would do very nicely to fill that role, as well as basic life support storage(a bit of each necessity in all of the station modules) while using the KASPAR packs for resupply and waste removal.

A bunch of modders should come together and make one big overhaul for KSP. Just bundle a bunch of these amazing mods together, even just as a big modpack. Like, the realism or challenge modpack or something...ensuring compatability between all the mods that people most frequently use. Would be good, methinks.

A bunch of modders should come together and make one big overhaul for KSP. Just bundle a bunch of these amazing mods together, even just as a big modpack. Like, the realism or challenge modpack or something...ensuring compatability between all the mods that people most frequently use. Would be good, methinks.

I think this would be a good idea as well.

It would be nice if there could be a combination of FAR, and Deadly Re-Entry. Or a combination of Amp-Year along with remote tech and either TAC-life support or Iconocross life support. Possibly even (and this will be contriversial) a combination of Orbital Construction, and like KAS or something (as in you have to build the ship in EVA, taking parts from either supply crates or from 3d printers), possibly involving resources from kethane-mod derrived mods.

For the beginning, there are 3 life support mods, crew transport and crew support by Troublemaker, IonCross and now TAC, and also EsvDefcon wants to make a new one.. These are all promising mods, but again none is working perfectly and they all have similar problems. I am sure they could unite, make compromises about their ideas, solve the problems together and bring us something ground-shattering =) And also remember that life support might officially come to KSP one day..

For the beginning, there are 3 life support mods, crew transport and crew support by Troublemaker, IonCross and now TAC, and also EsvDefcon wants to make a new one.. These are all promising mods, but again none is working perfectly and they all have similar problems. I am sure they could unite, make compromises about their ideas, solve the problems together and bring us something ground-shattering =) And also remember that life support might officially come to KSP one day..

All togeter to rule the world. That would be perfect.

With one perfect and full cycle support life system.

I pray for that miracle!

And the new pics with resources inspire me!

Great stuff Nothke.

:)

Well my thinking about life support is that if you build it, they will incorporate it into their mods. In other words let everyone else focus on their life support mods, and if it fits into the scope of things then they'll develop KASPAR support, but for now I think you should focus on getting a playable version ready so that those life support modders can create KASPAR parts.

Anyone thirsty?

While I personally wouldn't have my provisions exposed to the harsh environs of space, that WIP render does suggest the possibility of having KASPAR racks containing payloads that can be managed in EVA (KASPAR-ception).

By the way, how does the KASPAR system ensure proper alignment/orientation of attached racks/payloads?

Well my thinking about life support is that if you build it, they will incorporate it into their mods. In other words let everyone else focus on their life support mods, and if it fits into the scope of things then they'll develop KASPAR support, but for now I think you should focus on getting a playable version ready so that those life support modders can create KASPAR parts.

THIS! Quit teasing us with pics & give us something play with, darn you!:sticktongue:

MMMM... irradiated food...

No worries, it's safe

http://canadianenergyissues.com/2012/12/19/irradiated-food-keeps-astronauts-healthy-and-productive-why-cant-we-earth-dwellers-have-it/

d4iEqC9.jpg

Don't forget that these are NOT KASPAR RACKS. These are just utility bags primarily there to help carrying stuff over the surface of planets, and secondly, to provide life support for Kerbals themselves while on EVA. While the bag is on Kerbal, the resources are automatically added to the Kerbal. KASPAR racks are too big and heavy to be handled properly under gravity.

By the way, how does the KASPAR system ensure proper alignment/orientation of attached racks/payloads?

It's the velcro straps! VELCRO STRAPS! =) joke aside, the new KAS version allows rotation of objects while attaching so you can align them maybe not 100% correctly, but at least 98%

Maybe use the hook bay code from KAS? That would allow automatic alignment.

I am not saying it's a problem, I am saying it's great! Kospy has put in the rotation code on my suggestion. And it's meant to be attachable everywhere so 100% alignment is not really necessary.

Maybe use the hook bay code from KAS? That would allow automatic alignment.
I am not saying it's a problem, I am saying it's great! Kospy has put in the rotation code on my suggestion. And it's meant to be attachable everywhere so 100% alignment is not really necessary.

For most situations, rotational alignment isn't hugely crucial.

However, in the case of my Karmony Parts Warehouse modules, the intention is to fit a total of 16 standard KASPAR racks inside them in sets of four (possibly using InfernalRobotics to rotate the center mounting axles), so precise alignment is necessary there.

For the KASPAR racks I'll see with Kospy, he may be interested in making an extension to his plugin that allows automatic attachment to stack attach points closest to the Kerbal. Or stack attach points that are specially tagged to accept KASPAR racks only. That would also ensure proper and precise placement without the need for micro-rotation management. For now in my cargo bays I am using surface attach so I have to position them properly and at right angles. Otherwise, at an oblique angle it works, but it looks ridiculous.