[WIP] FLEXrack - Portable Payload Racks

nothke

Do the racks actually fit within a 2m enclosure when in 4x symmetry like that? Looks like they'd almost be too big, and any "rotating rack" cargo bay would need to be a bit larger than 2m...

The racks fit exactly inside 2m when they are in 4x symmetry, if it seems that it doesn't from the video it's because the lander can has a bit smaller radius than 2m. You can see that yourself by putting a fuel tank on top of the lander can. The can's bottom "extension" is 2m exactly.

The racks fit exactly inside 2m when they are in 4x symmetry, if it seems that it doesn't from the video it's because the lander can has a bit smaller radius than 2m. You can see that yourself by putting a fuel tank on top of the lander can. The can's bottom "extension" is 2m exactly.

To be honest, Nothke, I thought the racks would attach with their flat side on the inside and then have a retracting door of some kind on the circular side...

That said, this approach is also quite aesthetically pleasing...

Reading some of the other mods I'm sort of hoping either you or someone else can do something really cool with this. When it comes to life support and science mods I think you have basically created the holy grail for options. Can you imagine needing to transfer surface samples into say, a Science module and then placing that module in another part to perform analysis? You could then return the completed experiments to various forms of flex racks and return those to Kerbin. It just really seems to open up a lot of potential ideas and I really hope it all goes somewhere!

Reading some of the other mods I'm sort of hoping either you or someone else can do something really cool with this. When it comes to life support and science mods I think you have basically created the holy grail for options. Can you imagine needing to transfer surface samples into say, a Science module and then placing that module in another part to perform analysis? You could then return the completed experiments to various forms of flex racks and return those to Kerbin. It just really seems to open up a lot of potential ideas and I really hope it all goes somewhere!

That's actually the basic idea of Cabana Corp's Data Drives, when it comes to FLEX-compatibility.

You transfer the data gathered from one experiment into a Drive, then either send it by itself via an improvised capsule (probably not practical/possible outside Kerbin orbit) back to KSC or a Lab in orbit. Or, alternatively- store the Drive (which can also contain multiple results from different experiments) into a container, such as a FLEX rack, for later retrieval.

External experiments from Cabana Corp. would also come with FLEX in mind. Though I am still looking for a decent modeller...

I'm also looking into having them work in conjunction with one-another, if on the same rack, for different results.

That's actually the basic idea of Cabana Corp's Data Drives, when it comes to FLEX-compatibility.

You transfer the data gathered from one experiment into a Drive, then either send it by itself via an improvised capsule (probably not practical/possible outside Kerbin orbit) back to KSC or a Lab in orbit. Or, alternatively- store the Drive (which can also contain multiple results from different experiments) into a container, such as a FLEX rack, for later retrieval.

External experiments from Cabana Corp. would also come with FLEX in mind. Though I am still looking for a decent modeller...

I'm also looking into having them work in conjunction with one-another, if on the same rack, for different results.

I will certainly have a MIX drawer surface sample container so you can use it instead of stacking useless pods just to get more samples. This could also be used for crew reports as a drive. There will also be a frame for placing just a single drawer so you can for example use it on probes too.

I will certainly have a MIX drawer surface sample container so you can use it instead of stacking useless pods just to get more samples. This could also be used for crew reports as a drive. There will also be a frame for placing just a single drawer so you can for example use it on probes too.

Purrrrrrfect!

It looks a bit funny carrying racks, but I could see that being super cool for smaller, backpack sized ones. Assuming the joy of watching everything topple out of it fades!

Carrying entire racks isn't that far-out when you consider they weigh nothing in space... Though yeah... The KAS style of carrying stuff with Kerbals is weird...

They might weight nothing, but they have a lot of inertia, so they'd be pretty hard to carry around. Not impossible, but slow and clumsy, that's for sure.

They might weight nothing, but they have a lot of inertia, so they'd be pretty hard to carry around. Not impossible, but slow and clumsy, that's for sure.

Hmmm... This gives me the idea of a lager version of the MMU, one with robotic arms and clamps for moving large pieces or doing large-scale maintenance on space stations.

Something that a Kerbal can "ride", similar to the external seat, but would come with a more powerful RCS thruster block (than the one already available on the Kerbal MMU), robo-arms and magnetic clamps.

Part 2 of the preview:

Hmmm... This gives me the idea of a lager version of the MMU, one with robotic arms and clamps for moving large pieces or doing large-scale maintenance on space stations.

Something that a Kerbal can "ride", similar to the external seat, but would come with a more powerful RCS thruster block (than the one already available on the Kerbal MMU), robo-arms and magnetic clamps.

Well, as you said it's already doable if you put an external seat, lots of rcs thrusters (and tanks) and a robotic arm on a small platform and you basically make a small "ship". You could even use KAS to build it in EVA.

Edited by nothke

Part 2 of the preview:

Well, as you said it's already doable if you put an external seat, lots of rcs thrusters (and tanks) and a robotic arm on a small platform and you basically make a small "ship". You could even use KAS to build it in EVA.

Coool...

And I'm thinking more of a "one piece" thing. No assembly required!

Looks cool, my only problem is that they don't fit on cylindrical hulls/tanks, I can imagine edited hull/tanks pieces that fit racks inside the tank

I don't understand, they do fit inside, that is the purpose of this mod, just like I placed 4 around the girder, they also fit in the same way inside a 2m cargo bay. 8 racks (+2 inside) can also fit inside 3.75m hulls

aNp3uXXl.png?1

4wiAIpvl.png?1

Edited by nothke