[WIP] FLEXrack - Portable Payload Racks

nothke

Maybe use the hook bay code from KAS? That would allow automatic alignment.

I second this too :)

Just use something like this on the rack :

MODULE
{
name = KASModulePartBay
bayType = KASPAR // Tag of the part allowed (add the line bayType = KASPAR in your payload KASModuleGrab too)
attachNode = top // Name of the attach node of the Kaspar payload
sndStorePath = KAS/Sounds/kasparCoolSound // Path of the store sound
}

For the KASPAR racks I'll see with Kospy, he may be interested in making an extension to his plugin that allows automatic attachment to stack attach points closest to the Kerbal. Or stack attach points that are specially tagged to accept KASPAR racks only. That would also ensure proper and precise placement without the need for micro-rotation management. For now in my cargo bays I am using surface attach so I have to position them properly and at right angles. Otherwise, at an oblique angle it works, but it looks ridiculous.

My part bay module already had a tag to accept or not a grabbed part depending of his tag (bayType).

I think the only thing missing for your 2.5m and 3.75m rack are the multiple bay support, but I planned to do it.

Meanwhile, you can already do a single rack for a payload without problem.

Edited by KospY

Not entirely something I could use, but still a good idea. Though, the uses are rare. No one makes anything to collect any sample of anything yet, but stick with KSP until they make a full version, and you may be able to do that.

Kethane, Extraplanetary launchpads, and Orbital Construction notwithstanding of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks cool but are the viruses found for this originally from kerbin or other planets because does that mean we get to search for life on other planets and/or we get to do experiments with microbial life in orbit? Does this also mean that there is a danger of infection or that these can be used for terraforming?

Looks cool but are the viruses found for this originally from kerbin or other planets because does that mean we get to search for life on other planets and/or we get to do experiments with microbial life in orbit? Does this also mean that there is a danger of infection or that these can be used for terraforming?

I am actually in the process of trashing the idea with viruses or putting it on hold, although it's a very Kerbal idea if something goes wrong xD. But I just didn't have an idea what you could effectively discover with it. Instead I will turn that part into a Kerbonaut blood sample holder for biomedical research.

oohh dang but you can just discover it by using drilling to find samples of bacteria under ground and have it detected by scanning the atmosphere of planets for signs of methane which would be used to find life

Edit: you can also use the drills to harvest subsurface water on Duna for example which would make sense considering Curiosity found that martian soil is made of 2 percent water.

Edited by Helix935

i should also mention that you can also use atmospheric scoops to gather any bacteria that happens to be floating through the air on planets with high density atmospheres such as Eve or even Jool which would be good for the upcoming R&D stuff in the next update

Question? is the idea of having alien life still being trashed or have i assuaged your thought of doing this with my ideas? just checking.

Edit: if any of you wonder what assuage means due to lack of context it means sort of like convinced

Edited by Helix935