Hey KSP Community,

I have no idea how to build small rovers that can do really anything. All of them wind up using the stock rover body which not only has issues when it comes to storing for flight and landing, but produces pretty much identical rovers only. I'd love it if anyone could provide some help with designing these micro-rovers to do things along the lines of long-ranged crew transport, BUT with the crew stored on ladders so it looks like they're sitting. I can build rovers around a command pod easily enough, but I just can't do it without either using a command pod or the rover base.

I'd love some ideas, pictures, even .craft files for new rovers for doing things like carrying crew especially. The only limitation I have is that they can't be longer than 5m on any axis (the size of the largest available fairings for me).

Did you try using the small probe cores as bases for the tiny rovers? They seem popular with compact rover designers :)

The roverbase isn't bad. With clipping enabled, you can hide some batteries inside it making it more useful and fit for purpose.

Design your rover and drive it around KSC first, then worry about a delivery system. Landing on a planet with atmosphere is infinitely easier than without an atmosphere, because of drag and parachutes.

Here's one of mine: the Duna Exploration Rover Probe. or DERP.

LHMVpbA.jpg

It has a lander arm on the back so it can right itself if flipped.

uO8TqoX.jpg

Here is the skycrane and heatshield that got it there.

Eg8uD5v.jpg

Let me show you some of my rovers from the past:

zp3jGVs.jpg

This is Embarker I. It carries pretty much all the science stuff available in the game that you could want on a rover. It uses the old Clever Bobcat Cart as a base. The mod itself is way outdated now, but I still love how the cart looks, so I still use it occasionally. The Clever Bobcat base allows for cruise control, so you don't have to keep an eye on your rover all the time. It's also a fairly stable base assuming you put some stuff underneath. That specific configuration of equipment and such on Embarker I actually worked pretty well, but at speed it LOVED to tumble all over the place. So, if you'd like to use this as a base, put as much stuff on the underside as possible without scraping the ground, and less up-top.

Jemll1c.png

Here are two Kitten Mk I rovers next to a base module they're designed to dock with and move. These rovers were later given a much wider wheelbase, and two of the eight wheels were removed. They are able to carry a single Kerbal a short distance, but are designed to be used as unmanned rovers to construct a base on a planetary surface before the Kerbals inhabit it. After construction, they roll themselves exactly 3 Kilometers away from the base site, so that their RTGs will not irradiate the Kerbals over an extended period (and the rovers won't add to the lag caused by the base hue hue hue). The project never ended up going through, and is being redesigned currently from the ground up. They are good only in lifting/pulling capacity and extended operating life.

PNPso3E.png

This is Arcturus-I. Arcturus-I was the first successful Duna mission performed by M5000. Arcturus-I has its panels in a horrible configuration and is generally a horribly designed rover. It was designed for the sole purpose of being a rover on Duna. The mission was later abandoned after Arcturus-I parked itself in a crater several kilometers away from the landing site. Do not build a rover that looks anything like Arcturus-I, you will be sorely disappointed in anything the rover can do. It has horrible battery life, can't even power its own wheels without draining the battery during high noon, and is incredibly topheavy. So, here's what NOT to do.

9PbAos6.jpg

This is a prototype MEG-HAB rover/mobile base designed for extended independent manned operation on any planet. While it looks like a phallus from the top, the massive battery banks allow for full operation during night hours, without resorting to RTG power that will irradiate crew over long periods. It can store 9 Kerbals comfortably, with a maximum capacity of 11, and can even operate completely unmanned. The project to send a manned long-term rover mission to one of the planets was abandoned after experiencing seemingly random explosions on Kerbin tests. The lifter was also scrapped and a new system is being slowly developed. The original mission planned to aim for Duna, Eve, Vall, Pol, or Eeloo. If a lifter would have been properly designed for the MEG-HAB, it surely would have proven mission goals.

JcVBAUz.png

This little number is the pride and joy of Nexus' rover development operations. It is a Planet Crawler III rover, with this specific rover being the Tortuga-II/R. The Planet Crawler III is designed to operate on any world it is thrown at, assuming the delivery vehicle is appropriate. The rover itself is entirely stock and can easily power itself for long periods, and almost throughout the nights. It contains a single headlamp and a full science package, with an appropriately sized battery underneath the computer systems. It can climb almost any grade thrown at it. The Tortuga-II/R was the first iteration sent to another world and was sent to the absolute harshest world possible, Eve. It survived the pressures encountered and could make it up most grades, though it struggled on steeper grades and had to turn slightly to zig-zag its way up, instead of straight up. The Planet Crawler III is a good basic rover design for those looking to build a small, unmanned rover that can handle any planet, and carries a full science package.

Have you tried using the structural panels as a body? using those you can basically make your rover as big or as small as you want by adding extra panels attached to the first one. Here's one such Rover I've made. It weighs a pittance (about 0.6-0.8) and works wonders. (sorry for the URLs, but IMG tags don't seem to work for me.)

And if you want something that looks (and might even be) slightly sturdier, try attaching sideways rover bodies under each panel, like this (Stripped-down version showing how it's put together)

My basic utility rover which is very light, does not need sunlight and very stable even at speeds like 20m/s:

XXwHyBc.png

It has 2 slots to transport kerbals to points of interest:

YYSrXCg.jpg

To make the look like they are sitting is very hard, since you have to block them so they don't "wander up" the ladder while driving, so the way to get on is from below which has to be free. Also, adding them on top is very impractical. I build it especially that wide and long because you need that if you want to be able to move in a decent speed. This is not what you requested but what I found has proven to be the best thing to move kerbals around without using fuel.

Edited by Atanar

Looks like you've got a few good examples already, so I'll give some rover design theory for you.

Use these principles, and you should be able to make anything, big or small.

For stability, you want the centre of mass as low as practical.

A wide spread of wheels helps also. These two tricks reduce the chance it will tip over during a turn.

Positioning wheels evenly around the centre of mass keeps the load on each equal, and this reduces the amount a vehicle wobbles when accelerating or decelerating. This reduces the chance of it tipping over when doing these as well.

The length between the front wheels and the rear wheels will effect the amount the rover swings when turning.

Locking the steering on the back wheels can reduce sliding when driving at speed, a fair amount of the time.

The trick to making a complex rover is noting the parts you need, their weights, and how to position them to keep things balanced. Length of a part is important to. In the vehicle below, I put the lander can behind the crew tank, as it's shorter, and moves the centre of mass more, even though they both have the same mass.

sghFb9D.png

Also, watch that the bottom of the vehicle is high enough to clear bumps when you go over them, especially if you intend to tackle undulating terrain head on.

More wheels= more grip and power, and lets you tackle rougher terrain.

In this one, the poodle engine goes some way to balancing the command pod's weight.

sC4Vr4G.png

For rovers that are assembled vertically, rather than horizontally, the trick is still keep mass down the bottom, even with a wide base. It is helpful sometimes that the model 3 wheels are reasonably heavy, they help balance a design.

Jq1YIsd.png?1

TaVXBHW.png

I use dummy weight parts to help balance smaller things, like on this unmanned debris clearer.

UlgXmLa.png

I recommend using ASAS for rovers intended to go long distances without massive slopes, or frequent turns.

SAS if you just need it to stay on its wheels, and will be changing direction a lot.

(These pics are all reposts, sorry about that. My Imagr is full.)

Edited by Tw1

long range and micro rovers don't mix up very well: when I think "micro" rover, I think about using the smallest wheels, which are limited to a speed of 20 m/s.

for crew transport rovers using those wheels, check out Temstar's apollo-style rocket.

for long range though, you'll probablt want to use the LRV-style wheels which can go much faster (and thus take you much further in the same time).

I'm quite proud of this design:

rGOZje8.png

1k08IGe.png

UoRtOj2.png

it's very stable, and it should fit inside your size requirements.

9CCy0XA.jpg

fgULuK3.jpg

The whole rover is just an example of what it could look like. I want to draw you attention to the "driver's cabin". It's the size of box of the small structural panels. The landing gears are completly unnesecary and just for looks. The important parts are the 3 beams, the 3 panels and the 6 ladders. Theoretically a kerbal can't even fit into it, but with a bit of fiddeling around you can squeeze him inside. I recommend always to build 2-seaters with 2 kerbals for weight balance.

Edited by Atanar

Long rides with it, however, tend to cause motion sickness :)

You need to have something above the ladder that blocks them. My design is so safe, I launched the cabin on a solid booster rocket and got back no problems. I could maybe even get my kerbols in space with that.

EUiK2AGl.jpg

XFRIzkSl.jpg

Here's a few shots of my 2 kerbal rover. It's based on a wing section as I didn't find the stock rover body to be large enough for my needs. It is very durable and has the ability to right itself when flipped. The rover and lander took about a week of intense design to work out all the bugs. I highly suggest using mods for a parts pack and subassembly saver/loader to help you in your design.

Rover seeing the sights on Mun.

rovermun.png

Rover righting itself.

roverrighting.png

Rover and lander

roverlander.png

Rover backing into clamp-a-tron jr. for docking and takeoff.

roverdocking.png

Edited by transcendentape
larger pics

My standard manned rover I've deployed on most worlds. Minor differences depending on the local environment. This Laythe one lacks underside 'jump' RCS but is otherwise fairly standard. Between the generators and the battery it can drive well into the night, handles excellently in just about any environment by locking the rear steering. Cruise speed is about 25m/s and right up near the 60 mark with a downward slope to get speed. The rear RCS can be used to gain speed quickly or to keep the speed reasonable uphill. The upward facing RCS work wonders pinning it to the terrain when on rough ground

0glvYps.jpg

Xy7ARZ0.png

My standard manned rover I've deployed on most worlds. The RCS can give it a bit of boost if needed, and also features a docking port on the back if it needs to refuel its mono-propellant. This particular model shown here doesn't have the RCS in the front, but it can easily lift off the ground on the Mun, Minmus, and the like. It can safely cruise at around 20/30 meters per seconds, depending on the environment, and easily reach 60ish if going down a slope (really risky!) Just remember to lock the rear steering and middle steering, and adjust the motors/steering when necessary. It's very handy! EEA3FE6DF40C409C774A2761AD3B288536C09E40

• 2 years later...

Two initial tips for designing your own original rover.

1) No RoveMate. It's the worst probe core ever.

2) Open the "Aerodynamics" tab and look for your root/structural parts there.

• 1 year later...

Well even though my rovers are always race cars, I have some advice.

1) Make sure to stick some of those basic fins on the side and make it point down. This makes the CoM be shoved down, creating more grip.

2) Space the rear wheels out. These help you not roll the rover over.

3) ADD BATTERIES!!! This allows you to go so much longer without needing to stop for a solar recharge or running out of energy entirely.

As has been remarked, this thread is ancient.  The general topic ("how to design a rover?") is still relevant, but most of the content in the thread is badly out of date (given the multiple KSP revisions that have happened since then), and certainly the OP has long since had their questions answered.

Locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If someone has further questions about rover design, feel free to spin up a new thread!