101+ Impossible/stupid requests

679. Remove many core functions and make my rocket to have to point at the Mun in order to get there.

680. Weapons of mass destructionz pls.

681. Add a zombie apocalypse mode into the game.

682. Add genocidal aliens into the game. Their sole goal is to exterminate all of the Kerbal species.

• 1 month later...
.....possibly a daft question but actually....why can't we? :blush:

Well, there are a few things that would make it difficult. The length of a 70km Kerbin orbit is over 4200 km (the radius includes the 600kn radius of Kerbin) so that would involve a very long ship indeed. You would have to construct it in orbit by docking lots of ships together (and I do mean lots). If you made each "ship" out of some girders 100m long with a docking port on each end (and that may be too big for the VAB) then you would need 42000 of them to circle the planet. However, once this was constructed, the centre of gravity of the ship would be very near the centre of gravity of the planet and this would probably upset the gravitational calculations (gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance). The large gravitational force might serve to steady the object in orbit but I suspect that the engine would have a fit and the whole thing would just collapse and come raining down on the planet below...

Also, it would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to keep the partially constructed ring in a stable orbit while each new section is sent up.

Another problem would be the part count of the "ship". If each part is somehow only 10 parts (for a 100m long ship that is strong and stable enough to actually launch to orbit it would probably need 100+) then the total for the whole ring would be 420000 (or over 4 million if 100 parts per ship).

It might be interesting to knock something up in hyperedit, maybe make it out of just six pieces that are 1000 km long each and stick them in a high enough orbit that they could be joined to form a hexagonal ring. I've not played around much with hyperedit (or manual editing of the save file) so I don't know what is possible but doubt that KSP would cope with 400k parts in a ship.

For a hyperedit test, maybe we could make a special mod part that is a very long girder (10, 100 or even 1000km long). Then I'm thinking a round tank of some kind with a long girder attached radially. Then have a docking port on the end of the girder and one on the tank (at the correct angle to the girder) to attach the next section to (and a couple of other docking ports so other things can dock). I think I'll knock up a small scale example to show the principle.

In theory, if this were made big enough to circle a planet and you flew it directly at a planet (round it) then it would be able to achieve an oscillating "orbit" just going back and forth...

Pad.

678 - Sell KSP to EA.

(I've always been wondering what horrible things would happen to KSP if it was taken over by EA)

674: Make the game free to download, but fuelling your ship requires micropayments.

That would happen, along with real time building.

Kerbals meet the human race.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.