[AAR] Odysseus: Voyage to Jool

RogueMason

Odysseus: Voyage to Jool

A417ZQ8.png

------------------------------------------------------------

An old challenge has been the bane of the Space Program's existence for as long as the planets have been known. Now, Jeb and his crew will face down this challenge in the single most ambitious mission undertaken thus far.

Jeb.

Bill.

Bob.

Lengas.

Jool.

--------------------

Prologue

Chapter 1: The Odysseus

Chapter 2: The transfer to Jool

Chapter 3: Jool

Chapter 4: The aerobrake

Chapter 5: Vall

Chapter 6: The surface of Vall

Chapter 7: Tylo

Chapter 8: The Bop transfer

Chapter 9: Bob on Bop

Chapter 10: The Kraken

Chapter 11: Leaving Bop

Chapter 12: Pol

Chapter 13: The goodbyes

Chapter 14: Laythe

Chapter 15: Shipment

Chapter 16: There and back again

Chapter 17: Home, at long last

Epilogue

Edited by RogueMason

You know that kraken on Bop?

Yeah.

I'm well aware of 'that kraken on Bop', and I'm assuming you're here from the Outreach thread. Don't worry, I've got plans to circumvent the atrocious circumstances set out by my little 'Kraken attack' :wink:

AT JOOL

HE WILL

RETURN

FOR REVENGE!!!

(dun dun dun)

"That's it who let this guy on stage! wean I find you I'm kicking your ass so far down"*goes off to find that guy*

I just have this to say "arm your ships mate or give it some fighters to use"

PROLOGUE

Flight Director: "Jeb, we have a ship waiting on the pad for you to test out. Get yourself suited up, you're going to Mun."

Jeb: "Testing a ship? Whenever we 'test' ships, they have a tendancy to explode."

Flight Director: "Careful what you say around the engineers, they're easily offended!"

Jeb: "Sorry, but it's the truth! Although I like explosions, I don't like being a part of one!"

Flight Director: "It's only a small ship, but it will have huge consequences if it goes right."

Jeb: "IF it goes right. Very reassuring. Don't worry, I'll be in the capsule in a few hours once I'm suited up."

Flight Director: "Alright, thanks Jeb."

3kbOSSul.jpg

Jeb: "Interesting. It has a NERVA... why the sudden need for fuel efficiency on a Mun lander?"

KSC: "I'll explain when you get back. Launch in T minus 2 minutes."

Jeb: "Hmm..."

10 hours later...

VJiCG97l.jpg

Jeb: "Ok, so I've landed, taken off again, and now I'm heading back to Kerbin."

KSC: "Well, it's good to hear that everything has worked. Looks like our plans are good for the go-ahead."

Jeb: "Plans? What plans?"

KSC: "Like I said, I'll explain when you get back."

Jeb: "Ugh, all this secrecy..."

Another 10 hours later...

Flight Director: "Just follow me to the briefing room, would you Jeb?!"

Jeb: "I'm just getting a drink! The capsule only had half a tank of water and that ran out 2 hours before re-entry, so I'm pretty thirsty."

Flight Director: "There's a water dispenser where we're headed!"

Jeb: "Too late."

Flight Director: "Ugh, just come on..."

A few minutes later...

Flight Director: "The others should be along any moment..."

Jeb: "Others...?"

*Door opens on other side of room*

Bill and Bob: "Jeb?"

Jeb: "Hey guys, how are you two?"

Bill: "Pretty good. How was Mun?"

Jeb: "As nice as usual, but running out of drinking water wasn't very nice."

Bob: "I can imagine."

Flight Director: "Bill, have you seen Lengas?"

Jeb: "Lengas?"

Bill: "No, but he called to say that he'd been delayed by a 7-SRB pile-up in the VAB."

Jeb: "Now those would have been some fireworks if they went off."

Flight Director: "Oh alright, let's just wa --"

Lengas: *Out of breath* I'm here, guys, I'm here... phew..."

Jeb: "Good to see you Lengas."

Lengas: "You too, Jeb."

Flight Director: Alright, everyone take a seat."

*Everyone sits, except for Director*

Jeb: "So, what are these plans you mentioned to me a few times?"

Flight Director: "Well Jeb... you're all going to Jool."

Edited by RogueMason

CHAPTER 1: THE ODYSSEUS

1 month later...

7LMdCK3l.png

pYHXAqdl.png

Jeb: "Alright control, we're in orbit."

KSC: "We'll be sending a few shipments your way, the first of which will be fuel, followed by 4 probes and then the lander you tested out last month."

Bill: "How long before we're able to transfer to Jool?"

KSC: "About a week, so we probably cutting this a little bit fine, but it's perfectly manageable."

Jeb: "Ok, thanks for the info. Odysseus out."

Bill: "They actually did listen to you when you said the Beluga would make a great interplanetary ship with a few modifications."

Jeb: "Which is nice. It was one of my better ideas, so to see that come to life is very nice."

1 day later...

ijN033El.png

Bob: "Odysseus, this is Bob in the probe hauler, I'm beginning transfer of the probes over to you."

Jeb: "Copy that Bob. Don't scratch the paintwork."

Bob: "At least you didn't say 'Don't knock off the solar panels" this time..."

Jeb: "Hey, that's way behind us now, you had made that very clear."

Bob: "Thanks Jeb."

2ikdU8Pl.png

Jeb: "I'm assuming these probes are to land on the moons of Jool?"

KSC: "Where possible. Bop and Pol will be easy to land on. Vall may be more difficult. Tylo, well... we'll have to see when you get there."

Jeb: "No Laythe?"

KSC: "We've already been there with an Interplanet 4 mission. Hell, the lander and transfer unit are still there."

Jeb: "Meh. May still visit it anyway."

Bill: "I look forward to the day we have a colony base there."

KSC: "As do we, Bill. Might be a long time though before we can actually do it. Also Jeb, are you sure we can't tempt you into --."

Jeb: "When I said no to arming an exploration vessel the first time, I meant it. Odysseus is NOT having any weapons! Besides, it's a bit late now."

KSC: "Fine then, but if you do run into something hostile out there, don't say we didn't offer. Control out."

Bob: "All probes docked to you Odysseus, I'm coming over myself now."

22y2UQYl.png

NpxZS45l.png

Bob: "Let's see here. Looks like B9 Aerospace got the contract for the cockpit and living space, so I guess I'm in the back with Lengas, whenever he arrives."

Jeb: "It's pretty nice back there, plus there are windows so you shouldn't feel claustrohpobic."

Bob: "Of course, there are also the Burks Atomics NERVA engines. I guess they've become the staple for large interplanetary ships now..."

Bill: "We have sound protection unlike the Outreach colony when they first set off."

Bob: "Good thing too..."

5SoXCbYl.jpg

6x7Uxizl.png

KSC: "De-orbiting the probe hauler."

A few hours later...

Ko23Cpsl.png

Lengas: "Odysseus, I'm en route now."

Jeb: "Copy that, Lengas."

Lengas: "And to think the last time I was up here we were being invaded."

Jeb: "There should be no extraterrestrial slimeballs attacking us this time round. And if there are..."

Lengas: "You'll just launch an SRB into its face. Yes, you've explained that many times since you got back from Duna."

hpGW51Pl.png

Lengas: "Beginning final approach."

Jeb: "Ok. Bill, let's get the docking port aligned."

2 minutes later...

eB7tEb6l.png

Lengas: "Ok, Quantum struts are secure, I'm heading to the cabin."

Jeb: "Roger that Lengas, welcome to Odysseus."

Lengas: "Thanks."

Bob: "Do you think we'll actually reach Jool?"

Jeb: "We've learned a lot of lessons since our little Triton incident, so yes, we should be fine."

Bob: "Good to hear."

I was thinking the same thing....But what I would love to see is a fold-away laser cannon, using the B9 payload bays! I'd be

Bill: oh no Kraken!

Bob: And somebody said no to weapons!

Jeb: I know okay!

Bob: There is another ship dropping into orbit!

Jeb: What is it?

Unknown: We got your back guys....

I was thinking the same thing....But what I would love to see is a fold-away laser cannon, using the B9 payload bays! I'd be

Bill: oh no Kraken!

Bob: And somebody said no to weapons!

Jeb: I know okay!

Bob: There is another ship dropping into orbit!

Jeb: What is it?

Unknown: We got your back guys....

Hmmmm maybe there should be a ship that dis that I have one all it needs is CM

CHAPTER 2: THE TRANSFER TO JOOL

jTda8Gzl.png

KSC: "Ok, the fuelling vessel is up and the transfer window is open. Odysseus, you are clear for Jool transfer, I repeat, clear for Jool transfer."

Jeb: "Copy that control. Alright everyone, system check, I don't want this multi-billion credit ship to explode as soon as we fire the engines!"

Lengas: "NERVA's are fully operational, and the radial engines have been shutdown completely."

Bob: "Scientific equipment is operational, sensors are go."

Bill: "Course set. The final part is up to you now, buddy."

Jeb: "Alright, buckle up everyone, we're going for a ride!"

Bob: "So cliché..."

Jeb: "Burn in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..."

garUHBel.png

A few minutes later...

PZsfnTMl.png

Bill: "Trajectory confirmed, Jool encounter in one year, four days, and three hours."

Lengas: "Structural integrity at 99.9% after that burn."

Bob: "EM shields are fully operational, so radiation won't be an issue."

Jeb: "Well we're good then, but for the next interplanetary mothership, I want a centrifuge."

Bill: "I thought you said gravity was for the weak."

Jeb: "I did. But a few years without it is going to have its effects. Anyway, anyone for a board game?"

Bob: "As long as it isn't Skrabble like the last time we went to Jool..."

Jeb: "Hey, that's a good game."

Bob: "Hmph."

bPbxBG3l.png

aP397mal.png

A few hours later...

23vZWlEl.png

7YA0RN1l.png

NokJWVPl.png

CHAPTER 3: JOOL

Almost 1 year later...

A64wi2Jl.png

H3KvJutl.png

Bob: "Hey Jeb, the sensors are detecting Jool. Might want to have a look out the window."

Jeb: "Let's see here..."

yrwSI4Hl.png

Jeb: "That's a sight for sore eyes. Now we know for sure we're going the right way."

Bill: "What, you don't trust me when I say that our trajectory is good?"

Jeb: "Of course I trust you. The computers can be a bit touchy at times though."

1 month later...

2DzzXASl.png

Z0RpvEfl.png

Bill: "Without accounting for the aerobraking trajectory, we're on course for Vall, which just so happens to be our first target for a landing."

Jeb: "But of course, our aerobraking is going to change that. We'll get another encounter, but it won't be on this orbit."

Bob: "Hey guys, check this out."

NxmwzcPl.png

Bill: "I knew we were flying close to Pol, but wow, that's incredible!"

Jeb: "That tiny little moon is going to be our final landing stop, so take in the sights while you can because it'll be maybe a week or two before you see it again."

Lengas: "It's a very peculiar mixture of colours."

Bob: "Probably sulphur for the most part, given the yellow colouration. As for those more purple bits, I'm not entirely sure..."

sIMqVDSl.jpg

nyp8UR5l.png

Jeb: "I can now officially say that this has been the most successful mothership mission ever undertaken. We're actually heading into an aerobrake with this ship!"

Lengas: "Most successful, huh?"

Bill: "Triton was closest before us, and there is still a lander from that mission in a highly eccentric and inclined orbit around Jool. Enterprise exploded when the engines fired around Kerbin. Everest reached the SOI but neither it nor any of it's landers managed to get into orbit. Constellation was cancelled. And then there's us, Odysseus."

Lengas: "Wow, I guess we've come a long way."

Jeb: "That we have, Lengas, but we still have much more ahead of us yet. Now then, let's prepare for the aerobrake, it's gonna be pretty harsh in this atmosphere."

dnopz4Sl.png

I want to do another AAR, but I need someone to design the mission patch.

Hmm, depends how fancy you want it. I can manage something like my own, but if you want really good ones, then you may want to ask elsewhere. However, what sort of AAR are you planning? Grand tour? Colony? Alien invasion? Just say and I'll try something :)

Hmm, depends how fancy you want it. I can manage something like my own, but if you want really good ones, then you may want to ask elsewhere. However, what sort of AAR are you planning? Grand tour? Colony? Alien invasion? Just say and I'll try something :)

I'm planning an exploratory mission using an massive, oversized mothership, equipped with shuttles, habitat landers, solar farms, hangars, and a heat shield. Before departing the ship will release its remaining landers onto Laythe, forming the seeds of a colony. Also, there might be more than one mothership involved, providing for an "Huge Battlestar Galanticia" approach to exploration.

Long story short, it is going to Jool in an over-sized, over-budget, and over-built interplanetary cruiser.

I like your patch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.