[AAR] Odysseus: Voyage to Jool

RogueMason

I swear, something has to go wrong. You can't expect me to believe that the whole AAR is going to happen without some sort of major plot twists that throws the plan into chaos.

After the story about the Outreach colony, that does seem unlikely

CHAPTER 17: HOME, AT LONG LAST

One month later...

tIEw8Rjl.png

oEmUQbHl.png

Jeb: "Just a small trajectory change to get us on an aerobraking path. We want to aim for about 28km above sea level."

Lengas: "That may not get us into orbit."

Jeb: "We still have enough fuel, plus the radial engines will give us a bit of extra 'oomph' if we need it."

Lengas: "You know, I completely forgot about those engines. I hope they're ok..."

Jeb: "Anyway, here we go."

KKaVFoWl.png

2LCohpjl.png

Jeb: "Just need to reduce that a little more and we're set."

Bob: "Control on comms, Jeb."

Jeb: "Ok *puts on headset* Control, this is Odysseus, we read you."

KSC: "We've picked you up entering the SOI. Do you have enough to make orbit?"

Jeb: "We'll aerobrake plus we have fuel to spare."

KSC: "Aerobrake? How high above ground?"

Jeb: "About 28km above sea level."

KSC: "At those speeds?!"

Jeb: "I've already discussed this with my crew, and we have no other choice. Odysseus will withstand re-entry!"

KSC: "Hmm, I suppose it has outdone itself thus far... Ok, as much as I don't like this, good luck to all of you. Control out."

axk07pBl.png

Yht810il.png

IfxhJJTl.jpg

Jeb: "Oh, wow..."

Bill: "I forgot how beautiful Kerbin is. Jool, despite it's majesty, has got nothing on this wonderous place..."

Jeb: "I always admired Kerbin whenever I could see it, be it from orbit or from Mun. Seeing it now is overwhelming though, after so long."

Bob: "As much as I agree with you two, we are sort of coming in at over 6km/s, so could we please prepare for aerobraking?"

Jeb: "Err, right! Retract the panels, Bob!"

Rwb7a04l.png

Bill: "Final course correction confirmed. Jeb, if you would..."

Jeb: "Certainly... there, done. Aerobrake imminent."

FCsaXHTl.png

Bob: "We're in the atmosphere. Temperature is already starting to climb outside."

Lengas: "Structural integrity is currently holding, but we may have problems later on."

Jeb: "I'll keep us steady..."

oOuldMol.png

Bob: "Wow, record re-entry temperature around Kerbin of 7800K!"

Lengas: "Structural integrity is suffering! We've dropped to 85.9%!"

Jeb: "Just a few more minutes, the worst is over now. Odysseus will survive. Lengas, prepare the radial engines for final orbit making."

Lengas: "On it... AGH, they won't activate!"

Jeb: "What?!"

Lengas: "THEY WON'T ACTIVATE! I'll check under the panel!"

Jeb: "Make it quick, please!"

Bill: "The aerobrake won't put us into orbit, we need those engines!"

Lengas: "I think I've found the problem; the circuit's fried! I have no idea when it happened!"

Jeb: " It doesn't matter, bypass the cables to another system, quickly!"

Lengas: "I'll need a few minutes... "

*Alarms*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cikf06dHnI

Lengas: "AGH, structural integrity is down to 74.4%!"

Bob: The heat shields are beginning to buckle!"

Jeb: "Damn it, how are those cables?!"

Lengas: "Almost there, almost there... DONE, activating engines now!"

Jeb: "FIRING!"

KtF8qZwl.png

krHDPoql.png

Bill: "We have orbit... WE HAVE KERBIN ORBIT!"

Jeb: "YES! YES YES YES! Well done everybody, especially you, Lengas!"

Lengas: "Thanks Jeb... phew..."

Bob: "That was a bit worrying. We have, what, 50 litres of fuel left per engine now?"

Jeb: "That's not the point! We've made orbit, and we just need to make a few more aerobraking passes to reduce the apoapsis. Then we'll get equatorial so control can send ships up to us. What circuit did you hijack for the engines, Lengas?"

Lengas: "The seat warmers. They won't work now."

Jeb: "Oh... you couldn't have hijacked something else?"

Lengas: "Nope, sorry."

Jeb: "Ah well, it doesn't matter. We're home now, at long last."

bCWROavl.png

UvBxYbWl.png

T3f1j2Ql.png

EPILOGUE

3 days later...

IcUivAZl.png

Lengas: "Odysseus, this is OTV-2, do you read?"

Jeb: "Lengas? You go down to the surface for one day and you're already back up here?"

Lengas: "Only to collect you two. Dilcott and Bilnard here are taking over command of Odysseus now."

Jeb: "DILCOTT? I thought he was--"

Dilcott: "Dead? No. In pain? Yes."

Jeb: "What? How?!"

Dilcott: "When the Mechani-Kraken destroyed the Callisto, it overloaded the NERVA engines. The reactors exploded, so naturally, being a nuclear explosion, everyone assumed I was killed. My comms equipment was fried and one of my parachutes had been blasted off the side of my escape pod."

Bill: "Sounds nasty."

Dilcott: "That's not all. I'd been thrown onto a sub-orbital trajectory with a crippled escape pod, heading into the desert. Re-entry nearly killed me, but the remaining 'chute deployed just in time, 50 metres above ground. Went straight into the sand. I blacked out at this point."

Jeb: "So you survived a nuclear explosion and a vicious re-entry. Surely the radiation from the NERVAs had an effect?"

Dilcott: "Space suit, remember? Anyway, it took me six months to get my comms equipment fixed enough to contact control, by which time I'd been confirmed KIA. Imagine the look on their faces when they found my ruined little capsule in the middle of nowhere."

Jeb: "Well, hat's off to you, my friend! I'd say that makes you pretty worthy of taking command of Odysseus in our place. Shall we get sorted then?"

Lengas: "Ok Dilcott, off you go."

Several minutes later...

Jeb: "Alright, we're all aboard, Lengas. But there's something I'd like to do."

Lengas: "I'll hand control over to you then."

Jeb: "I'd say we have enough fuel for a Mun fly-by."

KSC: "Jeb, don't be silly, just bring the ship down."

Jeb: "Nah, waste of fuel. We're going to Mun."

KSC: "JEB!"

Jeb: "Dilcott, Bilnard, take good care of my ship. May she serve you well."

Dilcott: "Will do Jeb. Now, go on, go to Mun!"

Lengas: "Engine is ready."

Bill: "Trajectory confirmed."

Jeb: "Let's punch it."

KSC: "JEEEEEEEEEEEEEB!"

VqP6829l.png

Rk8nEOBl.png

15 hours later...

Jeb: "Aaaand touchdown! Bill, we are now officially back home."

Bill: "I think I've forgotten how to stand up properly."

Lengas: "It is a bit weird after four years of no or very little gravity."

Jeb: "Bah, watch this..."

*Jeb falls over, Bill and Lengas laugh*

Jeb: "I totally meant to do that."

Bill: "Sure..."

Jeb: "Ok, enough lollygagging. Control, do you read?"

----------------------------------------

Odysseus. It completed a mission that some thought was impossible to achieve after all of the failed attempts before it. It flew to Jool carrying an intrepid crew of explorers, and offered the ability to land on many of the moons of the mysterious green gas giant, and many moons were indeed set foot on. A wealth of scientific data was recovered. And then came the even harder challenge of returning home, which was confronted and overcome. For the first time in history, Kerbals set foot on worlds outside the Kerbin system and returned home, alive and well. The mission was a resounding success. The story of Odysseus itself is far from over though, as it accepts new responsibilities under a new crew, strengthening the ties between Kerbin and Duna, alongside many other missions with the same objectives; the colonisation of the entire system.

SDuPFJC.jpg

Right now, the best idea I have involves a lot of time and effort, and so another story from me may be a while away yet, especially considering I have essentially just gone through 2 of them quite quickly (in other words, I'm pooped :P). Thanks to everyone who has followed and supported the story, it's greatly appreciated :)

Right now, the best idea I have involves a lot of time and effort, and so another story from me may be a while away yet, especially considering I have essentially just gone through 2 of them quite quickly (in other words, I'm pooped :P). Thanks to everyone who has followed and supported the story, it's greatly appreciated :)

Could I help you with ideas?

I think I'll run a preliminary probe mission to test the launch windows. I may even stop by Jool to make transfer easier. This mission is taking shape already :)

I've heard that it's easier to go to Jool then Eeloo then just going to Eeloo from kerbin. I think it also is less delta-v, but I'm not sure. :wink:

Another idea might be an interplanetary commercial space plane or rocket. Sending kerbals to Duna and back. I'm just giving out ideas :)

Would you believe me if I said KSP is conspiring against me going to Eeloo?

First time I try to send a probe there, the booster stage does that weird "I think I'll just detach and phase through here and KERBOOM!" thing. Pretty easy to fix, just add more struts.

Problem solved.

Second probe attempt. In solar orbit, I finish the inclination change and have a closest approach (not an encounter) with Eeloo, which is on the other side of the system. Therefore, I decide to leave it there and end another flight. I end said other flight, return to my Eeloo probe and BAM! KSP freaks the f*** out; skybox is gone, navball is gone, and the altimeter is cycling through 111111, 222222, 333333, 444444, and so on :0.0:

Paying a visit to the tracking station and Kerbin is gone and the GUI is almost unresponsive. Time to quit.

Restart KSP.

Everything looks fine... hold on, WHERE'S MY PROBE? :mad:

SO, to conclude, KSP seems to have sided with the Kraken and their point of view in that I should be isolated :(

Fear not, for I shall perservere! I WILL. REACH. EELOO!

Would you believe me if I said KSP is conspiring against me going to Eeloo?

First time I try to send a probe there, the booster stage does that weird "I think I'll just detach and phase through here and KERBOOM!" thing. Pretty easy to fix, just add more struts.

Problem solved.

Second probe attempt. In solar orbit, I finish the inclination change and have a closest approach (not an encounter) with Eeloo, which is on the other side of the system. Therefore, I decide to leave it there and end another flight. I end said other flight, return to my Eeloo probe and BAM! KSP freaks the f*** out; skybox is gone, navball is gone, and the altimeter is cycling through 111111, 222222, 333333, 444444, and so on :0.0:

Paying a visit to the tracking station and Kerbin is gone and the GUI is almost unresponsive. Time to quit.

Restart KSP.

Everything looks fine... hold on, WHERE'S MY PROBE? :mad:

SO, to conclude, KSP seems to have sided with the Kraken and their point of view in that I should be isolated :(

Fear not, for I shall perservere! I WILL. REACH. EELOO!

And you said that you were having trouble with story ideas! THERE! You have a story. Build upon it!

EDIT: 100th post in thread! On 10th page!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.