[Stock] 30 sec Altitude Challenge!

In order to post pictures, you first have to upload them to an image storing website (such as imgur or photobucket, etc). Once it's uploaded, you'll get a direct link to the picture. That link is what you put between the tags.

Thank you, I put them in an album and every thing. It is in my edited original post.

In terms of whether you used cheats or not, I'll just have to trust with not using them. There's no way to verify that you used cheats or mods and what not, but if you do, it'll only remove the fun and excitement of this challenge!

As for the altitude itself, it's on the altitude meter. Yes, when you're flying at >2000 m/s, 1 second makes a lot of difference, so there will be a difference between 30.01 and 30.99 (both of which would show 30 on the MET). So it's up to you to time your screenshot as late as possible but not pass the 31s mark.

Or you can require a picture of prelaunch with the resources tab open and the final screenshot withth resources tab open as well.

Or you can require a picture of prelaunch with the resources tab open and the final screenshot withth resources tab open as well.

I could, but I don't want you to post 20 pictures for a challenge when 1 would suffice.

There's no reason for me not to trust you with this challenge!

I give you my revised album, now with asparagus staging! http://imgur.com/a/8I1Zl#0

I also belive that you messed up Dr. Muttonstache's name in the leadership board. You put -

- Dr. Mutto nstache (13 143m) <----(There is a gap between the "Mutto" and the "nstache")

- clapanse (12 824m)

- Dr. Muttonstache (10 440m) <----(No gap in the name):wink:

Edited by TheTsar52

I give you my revised album, now with asparagus staging! http://imgur.com/a/8I1Zl#0

I also belive that you messed up Dr. Muttonstache's name in the leadership board. You put -

- Dr. Mutto nstache (13 143m) <----(There is a gap between the "Mutto" and the "nstache")

- clapanse (12 824m)

- Dr. Muttonstache (10 440m) <----(No gap in the name):wink:

Thank you for the correction! Also, with asparagus staging, you went twice as high as last time!

See if you can go any higher!

You guys really should use F3 to pause the game and get the altitude from there

The main HUD altimeter is often laggy or inaccurate. The numbers you're reading might be lower or higher than your actual altitude.

That is true. I get about 500 m better results if i pause the game. But is this against the rules?

It's not against the rules, if you give me the in game altitude meter, I use the value on it. If you pause the flight or end the flight and post that screenshot, I use the altitude there. If you give both screenshots (altitude and pause/end flight altitude), i'll use the larger of the two values.

Hrmm... I need to find a better method of going really high. This looks pretty terrible.

CCTKbwu.jpg

EDIT: That was horrible. Better one here:

9MxCvcg.jpg

Lesson learned: more boosters doesn't make anything go faster if the payload is minimal

Edited by mr_yogurt

Sorry for n00b question, but how come people don't use nosecones?

I tried a basic RT-10/octo and RT-10 blows up from overheating.. but when aerodynamic, it's fine...

In the current version of KSP, the aerodynamics are NO WHERE near finished, and currently all nosecones do right now is add drag and slow you down.

In the current version of KSP, the aerodynamics are NO WHERE near finished, and currently all nosecones do right now is add drag and slow you down.

But it seems that they do make a difference in overheating the engines..?

But it seems that they do make a difference in overheating the engines..?

KSP's heating system is pretty basic, heat is shared and divided to each neighboring part. If you're having overheating problems, they can be solved by sticking on a few of those super light octo-strut pieces as heatsinks.

A further explanation of drag: Your ship simply behaves as though it has a drag coefficient equal to the weighted (by mass) average of the drag coefficients of its parts. And nose cones, for some reason, are given the highest drag value that parts get, making them worse than dead weight.

KSP's heating system is pretty basic, heat is shared and divided to each neighboring part. If you're having overheating problems, they can be solved by sticking on a few of those super light octo-strut pieces as heatsinks.

A further explanation of drag: Your ship simply behaves as though it has a drag coefficient equal to the weighted (by mass) average of the drag coefficients of its parts. And nose cones, for some reason, are given the highest drag value that parts get, making them worse than dead weight.

Aaah, that explains it!

Sure enough, added ~2km to my attempt

JUFjFF6.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.