Is the Oort cloud real?

Do you believe in the Oort cloud?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in the Oort cloud?

• Yes. I believe that it exists.
    • No. I do not believe that it exists.
    • Wuht is that daymn thang?!

From the papers I have read (I stick to actual, published papers rather than articles to avoid sensationalism and misreporting), there have been only two objects definitively detected in regions of space dubbed the "Inner Oort Cloud." 2012 VP113 and Sedna. Both are on eccentric orbit tracks well beyond Neptune. Other than these two objects, there has been no published data confirming the existence of the Oort cloud. I'm not saying it does or doesn't exist, I'm just pointing out that there is a whole lot of speculation that it exists, but it is far from definitive. Unless you consider two a cloud.

I think a common belief in this thread is the desire to establish cold, hard (no pun intended) facts on which to make a determination. If someone wishes to know for sure whether the Oort cloud exists, then the answer right now is "Undetermined." Strictly scientifically speaking, we do not know for sure. It is one possible explanation, but there are others that we may discover are true. Our system moves through space so we could be picking up debris as go along, who knows. Based on known facts, the Oort cloud is undetermined. Probability of being true is subjective and as we see in this thread, varies.

• 3 weeks later...
I am curious where you're getting your information on Ross 248's close approach, and why you chose to necro a 4 month old thread for that matter? The best information that I could find says that Ross 248 will only approach to 3.024 LY of the sun in 36000 years time. It will be more distant than that again by 50000 years from now. AFIK, the star that will make the closest known approach to the Sun is Gliese 710, but it won't reach its closest proximity (possibly within 1 light year) until 1.4 million years from now.

Wait... I think I meant that star xD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.