A few questions on Geostationary Orbit

I was thinking of putting 3 or 4 satellites in Kerbin's Clarke belt for constant satellite coverage. Then I realized my orbital mechanics understanding is a bit inadequate. :( Would some one here help me out before I waist hours / days figuring this out the Kerbal way?

Plus I'm at work and can't play so I resort to some theory crafting.

1.) Is it feasible in KSP

2.) What is the orbital altitude to Kerbin for Geostatinary Orbit.

Edit: Just found this on the wiki: 2 868.75 km and a speed of 1 009.019 m/s

3.) Would orbit degradation affect this? Would Geostationary require constant fidgeting with the satellite to maintain?

4.) Should I be saying Kerbalstationary?

I could probably get through the math with a little hand holding, but I'm more interested in the generals.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Limited Infinity

On the subject, is there any way to ensure that when youre setting yourself up in a Kerbostationary orbit, youre above a spot of your choosing (with autopilots, without, doesnt matter)? Ive yet to try it out, but thats the one thing that has me curious

Unless you use Hyperedit or Mechjeb to put yourself into a perfectly circular orbit at that exact altitude, you will be moving slightly faster/slower than the planet. Thus, from the perspective of a Kerbal on the planet below (totally just typed 'kerspective') the satellite will 'drift' slightly prograde or retrograde. If you wanted to make a spy satellite that stays perfectly over top of a location on Kerbin for years at a time, get Mechjeb. Otherwise, accept that your satellites won't stay perfectly aligned with the planet below. Fortunately, the margins for error are quite large when doing a satellite network, especially if you put more than three up, so it won't matter too much.

Hope this helps!

P.S. If you want to know how the math works, just PM me--I don't want to clog up the forum with a long mathy post :)

I managed to put a satellite in Keostationary orbit above KSC, over 7 game years later it has only drifted to being above the ocean slightly to the east of KSC, so if you're relatively accurate it will take a long time for them to drift any meaningful distance :)

Mech jeb should get you a 4 year loiter time at least. Kerbal engineer carries out another decimal so should get you 40 years. I would suggest making the satellite heavy and giving it an ant or ion drive for final positioning. Also your orbit does not have to be perfectly round as long as your orbital period is 6 hours you won't move.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.