Will we get to other stars?

lyndonguitar

I don't think the game needs it. With the technology available to the Kerbals in the stock game, there is essentially no difference between implementing more star systems and leaving them as an unattainable infinite painted bubble. There's plenty more that can be added to the Kerbol system to make the game better. Clouds, wind, resources, terrain details, structures, asteroids. Leave interstellar travel for another game. I'd support making stars and planets be a pluggable thing, as long as everyone understood that interstellar space is full of krakens.

I'd love to have it obviously after the current system and gameplay is fleshed out. even if it's just one other star system it would be a nice feature to have and an advanced goal. plus assuming R and D gets implemented into the game an extremely powerful ship drive could be endgame content. maybe make it you have to do X number of missions and gather X number of resources from specific planets.

Finally the end. Ok:

1. wormhole would be easy.

2. Antimatter-the possible fuel of a warp drive exists. We've already created it in particle accelerators. The issue is its not economical. If you took the entire global economy and devoted all the particle accelerators in the world to this you would only end up with a some fraction of a gram. Not even close to the theoretical hundreds of pounds or more of the stuff you would need. Then there is storage because its destroyed by any regular matter so now we are talking about large electromagnetic fields, what will power those. My point is this stuff does exist, physics allows it it CAN happen and I think it will, one day.

3. I don't think the argument that a hypothetical second solar system/expanded galaxy will ruin the home system has any legs. This is all way down the line, I don't think anyone is really seriously asking for something like an expanded galaxy for right now or even when KSP officially releases 1.0. If the entire solar system is fleshed out comets/colonization/ 45 extra planets and moons/asteroids/resources/tech research/missions, and the developers release a poll saying "the Kerbal system is done the game has shipped, we are considering adding an additional solar system would you be interested?" The community would rise up with a resounding "yes squad! we would love another". The point is no one is asking if Squad should take resources away and start on something like that now. The question was do you think they should ONE day meaning in the future.

Sorry that was long.

Edited by DocLangy

I'm hoping somewhere far out in the future a couple years from now, they release and expansion that has FTL drive and a whole galaxy of procedurally generated stars and planets... just sounds fun

But for now, I just want more planets in our own system, the outer system seems pretty empty.

Leave interstellar travel for another game.

However there is no other game like KSP that allows you to make your own creations in such a way. :P

I'd like the Game to take place in a binary or trinary system. However I doubt this is possible unless the engine is modified.

Also super advanced tech wouldn't invalidate other parts if it had to be researched and bought in career mode.

Whilst I like the idea of including other systems in the game as such, my concern with stuff like warp drives or worm holes is that they play into the Sci Fi Writers Have No Sense Of Scale trope that KSP otherwise completely avoids. If you can fly to the neighbouring star system in an instant, it would to some extent trivialise the accomplishment of going to places like Duna or Jool, because there will be a mismatch of scales. So if the game does go that way, I would prefer to see some more mundane (if still completely speculative) propulsion methods, such as fusion or antimatter rockets.

Getting even more speculative, if we do get the ability to send Kerbals to other star systems, I'd also love to get some form of (at least limited) colony management system included. For instance, have kerbals assigned to food production, maintenance, manufacturing, science, that sort of thing, just to emphasise how far away from home they are. But that sort of thing will probably only be in an expansion, or perhaps more likely a future KSP 2.

Whilst I like the idea of including other systems in the game as such, my concern with stuff like warp drives or worm holes is that they play into the Sci Fi Writers Have No Sense Of Scale trope that KSP otherwise completely avoids. If you can fly to the neighbouring star system in an instant, it would to some extent trivialise the accomplishment of going to places like Duna or Jool, because there will be a mismatch of scales. So if the game does go that way, I would prefer to see some more mundane (if still completely speculative) propulsion methods, such as fusion or antimatter rockets.

Getting even more speculative, if we do get the ability to send Kerbals to other star systems, I'd also love to get some form of (at least limited) colony management system included. For instance, have kerbals assigned to food production, maintenance, manufacturing, science, that sort of thing, just to emphasise how far away from home they are. But that sort of thing will probably only be in an expansion, or perhaps more likely a future KSP 2.

the devs have already said colonization wouldn't be added unless its an expansion.

(Goddamit guys you can't just necro a thread this way)

Apparently they can, and did...:rolleyes:

My short response to the thread itself: let the devs finish what they have now. Sure all of what I've sounds interesting, but they have enough on their plate as it is. I would much rather have a better optimized KSP than multiple systems, FTL, etc.

Ah this old thread.

I don't expect other star systems in say... 1.0

I think once they do everything they plan on doing in this one system that we'll have plenty to do within the system. Many many hours worth of things to do. It's only people who have been everywhere... and done everything... who crave more to explore. Well we would need more to explore if the game stayed the way it is now. But it's not staying that way.

I could very much see other star systems as an Expansion. The jump from one star system to many star systems is nice clear demarcation line between the base game and a would be... and very much hoped for and desired expansion.

Alrighty then guys, this is kind of an old topic anyhow. The idea of interstellar travel gets tossed around all the time and certainly is noted by anyone who frequents this forum. This is quite an old thread and, official mission protocol dictates that it be locked. Apologies, but old threads with no real new content get locked.