KW Rocket Fairings keep blowing up my engines. How to stop?

skendzie

I have my rocket basically modeled after the Apollo plan where I am going to separate from the LEM, turn around, dock and pull it out. But every time I try separate the SIII engine, the fairings seperate but rip off my LEM engine. I tried struts, separators, decouplers, the only thing that works is keeping the 3.75m Interstage fairing off my rocket and just have it uncovered.

How can I prevent this from happening? It's quite frustrating.

Before:

http://imgur.com/CrMxu8k

After:

http://imgur.com/ibcTobD

:0.0::0.0::0.0:

turns out I am going to need to know which mods you are using. I am missing the mods for these parts; EngineerChipFlight, rbr.chatterer.baalzebob.radio, and strutsPiece1xMini.

Sorry about that.

Just MechJeb, KW Rocketry, and Engineer Redux. Want me to delete them and reupload?

Alright, so after playing with it for a while I never encountered the problem you were having in your OP where the LEM's engine would get torn off. I'm thinking that maybe what was causing your problem though, is the fact you are using both fairing bases and decoupler's at the same time to stage your rocket. If you dumped the fairing bases you would be better off in my opinion. In regards to how your rocket flies, I've just been telling mechjeb to put me into either a 70km or 80km orbit, and your rocket couldn't achieve either of those orbits before the second stage burnt out. Also the main engine on your first stage burns out before the SRB's do, and that causes a fairly large drop in velocity before your second stage lights.

On a side note, is there noway to add an attachment to a post?

Yea, I was going to address the delta V issue after I fixed the docking. Also I took some engines off just for simplicity's sake. I quick save before I try separate the engine and I tried all kinds of combinations. No luck. Did you have any success like that?

I was able to stage the rocket just fine, never once had the LEM's engine break off. Did you try and fly the second rocket you uploaded, that you destrutted? I'm wondering if maybe when you destrutted it you inadvertently fixed the problem.

Sorry for hijacking this, but I got a serious problem with the KW Fairings as well. The snap points are just totally off. Can't snap **** on that and even if I do it it's hanging in mid air. WHY?! I freshly installed the mod over and over again, also on fresh KSP installations, everytime the same ****.

This is what it looks like.

yup a definate hijack. :P this will probs get split.

You need to place the "cone" top of the fairing first and then build down from that. follow the instructions on the KW page which clearly show this (its a

)... or at least it used to before the forum got wiped. Edited by shand

Sorry for hijacking this, but I got a serious problem with the KW Fairings as well. The snap points are just totally off. Can't snap **** on that and even if I do it it's hanging in mid air. WHY?! I freshly installed the mod over and over again, also on fresh KSP installations, everytime the same ****.

This is what it looks like.

You need to start with the cone pieces first as shand said. Then add the side pieces. Also make sure you are using the correct type of fairing. "Extended" pieces are only for the "extended" bases.

I figured it out I think. So the fairing bases have to attachment points on the bottom. One to connect, and one to pull whatever is attached with off. The Poodle engine is shorter than most so I was putting it on the top connector (which is the pulling connector I think) to make the intersection fairing match flush with the rocket. I think that's the solution...I'm Kerbal Positive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.