[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

craft tend to be based on my techniques rather than just stolen, which is actually pretty awesome to think I've influenced the way some people build.
Sometimes there is only one right way to do something. I'm glad your around to show us how.

Any plans to add this to Space Port? I to do not like to mess with download sites like mediafire.

There's seriously nothing wrong with mediafire. Install and adblocker, and only click the download link of the file you came for. It's not hard. People use it because it's a good, free file hosting site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mulbin, you don't need ullage motors on the second stage. The Saturn Vs for Apollo missions with the rover don't have ullage motors. Plus, it would bring down the part count.

From the information I have seen (IIRC) there were ullage motors and retrorockets (stage 1) on early missions but they were removed by the time there were missions with rovers (as a rough guide) to save weight and because internal parts (like baffles) and engine improvements had reduced the need for ullage. So Apollo had either Rovers or Ullage if complete accuracy is important

Myself I made a chimera Apollo and included features from all of them so I have ullage, retro and rover and A.L.S.E.P. If Apollo had it on any version, my craft has it.

I like your interstage, it looks very much like the one I have made for myself. Procedural fairings just didn`t cut it so I`ve had to make one from I beams as well so it can detach a while after stage 1 separates. It`s heavy but a little extra fuel made up for it. The interstage detaches above 50km to avoid turbulence issues as it should.

If you want your retrorockets in the right place for stage one then there are 8 in 4 pairs just above each fin. The S-IVB also had another pair of ullage engines (4 total) for the second burn (LKO->Mun)

Ok... just did a fresh install and downloaded Munbug and can confirm it is working just fine with more than enough DV.

Some points to remember when flying...

1. Don't use any mods that effect the way craft fly! Such as FAR... I cant make my stock ships work with every single mod.

2. Munbug is a replica of the saturn V/Apollo... as such it has only just enough power and just enough DV to complete the mission. If you want an overpowered, easy apollo... download a mod craft.

3. Munbug is an advanced ship, it takes skill and practice to fly, you need to understand efficient ascent angles and how to keep your AP ahead of you (for example when staging to 3rd stage you will likely need to pull up to 45 degrees to keep from passing your AP).

4. Craft this big are unstable in KSP... you cant just turn on SAS and expect it to fly straight up. You will need to make constant course corrections (at least on the first stage) to avoid losing control.

I'm now sitting on a free return trajectory, with the third stage still attacked (with some fuel left in it) about to separate and retrieve the LEM... like I say its working just fine.

To accurately replicate the flight profile of the Apollo launches you should have a TWR of about 1.3 on the pad rising to roughly 3.5 before centre engine cutout rising finally to about 4. Stage 2 should start with a TWR of about 0.8 (this low TWR means stage 1 must exit with a large time to Apo to allow stage 2 to burn fuel and raise its TWR) rising to 1.9 when stage 2 exits your Apo should be in vacuum leaving stage 3 to circularise. As you can see, TWR 1 for stage 2 is about the 75% fuel remaining point. Stage 3 has a very low TWR of 0.5-0.7 and is meant for orbital maneuvers.

Apollo_8_acceleration.gif

Using telemachus you can get a graph very similar to the one above. It might be an area to consider for future Munbugs.

tKJPsCs.png

EDIT : If I get time in the next few days I`ll fit telemachus to Munbug and post the G-force graph for you. It`s handy information when designing craft.

Edited by John FX

It doesn't. Sorry, they will always look like that in the little pictures in the corner of the screen. It has absolutely no effect on your game though, they can board and exit the lander perfectly well.

The two pods on the lander partially occupy the same space (this is know as clipping), its the only way to get them to fit. This causes the little pictures to show not only the kerbal in each pod but an image of the other kerbal as well... kind of squished together. They will be fine when they get out of the lander though, its only a camera bug.

Edited by Mulbin

Great! Thanks for answering my questions.

I don't care about the pictures I am just happy it does not effect the mission, and that I didn't do anything wrong.

I've been at this for a couple of months but this is my first attempt at an Apollo style Mun landing.

Edited by Larrt_M

Hey Mulbin, will you add the support of k-OS for the Munbug? It would be awesome :)

Munbug is very stock and Mulbin should be proud of what he has done with stock.

If you want a modded Apollo replica that uses K-OS (including scripts for everything except mun landing and ascent) then check my Sig... (needs stretchy tanks, procedural fairings and realchutes)

You could always just get Munbug and edit the capsule cfg to act like it has a K_OS unit in it then you could write your own scripts for Munbug of course...

Munbug is very stock and Mulbin should be proud of what he has done with stock.

If you want a modded Apollo replica that uses K-OS (including scripts for everything except mun landing and ascent) then check my Sig... (needs stretchy tanks, procedural fairings and realchutes)

You could always just get Munbug and edit the capsule cfg to act like it has a K_OS unit in it then you could write your own scripts for Munbug of course...

He have added the k-OS to his Mercury so i was asking if he will ever add it to Munbug :)

When i'm home i will test your version

He have added the k-OS to his Mercury so i was asking if he will ever add it to Munbug :)

When i'm home i will test your version

Of course, I had forgotten. My apologies. You could still just add K-Os to the capsule part (and have 2 K-OS units on board) and fly Munbug with K-OS but you would have to write your own scripts.

the craft is really too wobbly and the third stage has too low TWR to help me get into orbit :/

It's a hard craft to fly, keep practicing keeping you AP ahead of you! I've made many successful missions with it, don't be surprised if you have to begin third stage burn at 45 degrees off the horizon.

It's a hard craft to fly, keep practicing keeping you AP ahead of you! I've made many successful missions with it, don't be surprised if you have to begin third stage burn at 45 degrees off the horizon.

I somehow managed to get it into orbit,well the fuel is really a lack here :/

Anyway,the lander is somewhat unbalanced,I am trying to land now...and it swings to a side when I apply thrust

+ the IVA views of the guys...