[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

• 2 weeks later...

Mulbin, MunBug needs a version XIII, or else some fixes.

1. Launch clamps need to be designed for it. It breaks the pad otherwise.

2. Launch clamps need to be in the same stage as the main engines, else static warm up of the engines also breaks pad.

3. RCS is bugged somehow, specifically when switching off LEM RCS to have the CSM pull it out of the launch vehicle. When in Munar orbit, the LEM's RCS fails to re-engage, even with full propellant.

4. You need an action group to toggle the LEM's fuel tanks to feed the engines for ascent, or else hapless pilots will wonder why they only got 300m off the ground only to plummet back to the surface for lack of fuel.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mulbin, I managed to find out that the LM had a balance problem that wasn't fuel related. The offset appears to be the same through both stages (descent and ascent) but the ascent stage had the CoT closer and therefore increasing the torque. I am hoping that I can make a repaired version of the LM but here are some pics showing the problem. I managed to get the LM as the root of the ship using the lovely SelectRoot. Anyway here is the album!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I showed the ascent stage first just because.

Thanks for the rest of the craft though!

Edit: Not yet done with the Lander, still in analysis. Whenever I attempt to decouple the descent stage to get to the ascent stage it takes the engine with it :rolleyes:. The initial data I have though suggests that the descent stage (remember it uses fuel from the ascent stage) has 881m/s ∆v. With no fuel burned the LM has a 5.4 degree off-thrust with 4.1kNm of torque. Due to the fact that I cannot use the Ascent stage, I have no idea on its offset and torque but I can only imagine that it would be worse.

Edited by TheGamingNoobster

Hey Mulbin, I managed to find out that the LM had a balance problem that wasn't fuel related. The offset appears to be the same through both stages (descent and ascent) but the ascent stage had the CoT closer and therefore increasing the torque. I am hoping that I can make a repaired version of the LM but here are some pics showing the problem. I managed to get the LM as the root of the ship using the lovely SelectRoot. Anyway here is the album!

http://imgur.com/a/W8J5W

I showed the ascent stage first just because.

Thanks for the rest of the craft though!

Edit: Not yet done with the Lander, still in analysis. Whenever I attempt to decouple the descent stage to get to the ascent stage it takes the engine with it :rolleyes:. The initial data I have though suggests that the descent stage (remember it uses fuel from the ascent stage) has 881m/s ∆v. With no fuel burned the LM has a 5.4 degree off-thrust with 4.1kNm of torque. Due to the fact that I cannot use the Ascent stage, I have no idea on its offset and torque but I can only imagine that it would be worse.

The editor gizmos will probably make the new Munbugs easier to construct

Yeah, I'll have a look at this soon. I'm still successfully using the LEM though, it just takes a bit of throttle control. The new features will make it easier to shift weight about for the next munbug. Good work tracking it down!

No problem! Anyway, this craft is like anything, there will always be some problems. This is the first problem I have found with the munbugs though ever since I started using them, so you have done well!

Edit: Um, I realised that the first pat of the above statement may sound offensive and for that I apologise. What I said came out differently to what I mean. Sorry about that :(

Edited by TheGamingNoobster

• 1 month later...
He already explained that upthread.

Apparently he didn't use the word 'parachutes' to do so because the forum doesn't return anything when I search this thread for that string. Perhaps the first post would have been the best place to explain this unorthodox placement of parachutes considering the lander itself is intended to be left behind?

Edit: having returned to Kerbin I can now report that parachutes are clipped into the MkII command pod.

Incidentally, another problem I have is that there seems to be 45 units of fuel left in the lander that I can't get out. Because the tanks are all clipped into each other I can't select this tank which has my last 45 units of fuel. Fortunately I was able to finish reaching orbit just using RCS and monopropellant of which there's plenty.

Edited by THX1138

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
9 hours ago, sabra said:

Hey guys,

the links from 1st post doesn't work for me, is there anywhere else I could download it from or could you reupload somewhere else? Thank you.

There are plenty of other Saturn V craft around here, this craft is incompatible with the latest release. It is over two years old.

As RA3236 points out, this craft has sadly fallen victim to the River of Time, and is no longer compatible with the current game.  Since it seems unlikely to be updated at this point, locking the thread to prevent further confusion.