[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

Oh no! What happened?

Deleted the wrong save game in a clean up! Fortunately I can download all of my previous ships... just a shame that my new station was wiped. However not the end of the world as the launch vehicle is taken from Munbug V and several components are taken from my "station in a box"... just have some modules and a lot of fairings to rebuild!

Annoying though as I was just taking screenshots ready to publish it!

And crowd starts chanting: "Teaser pics! Teaser pics! Teaser pics!"

Here it is, being unpacked. not pics later than this and the craft file no longer exists. I'll build something similar soon.

screenshot622_zpsc1068289.jpg

I like your box concept, I did send you a massage regarding that an other matters :)

Sorry forgot to reply! Will see what I have time for.

Here is the obligatory comparison shot of the new Munbug lander next to my Muna-LK2 lander. Quite happy with the scale difference now :)

screenshot644_zps3fe63c8e.jpg

Gotta create that separate save for your crafts :) Now space race will be really on.

And now docking ports have matching size so I can do joint "Luna-Munbug" mission i LMO :)

Not planning on removing the docking... it was a big part of the Apollo mission. What is giving you trouble?... just a standard docking maneuver.

No i have no problem with a standard docking procedure, my Mun ship is also a clonepollo type. the problem is that the stack is terribley unstable, and i dont know i just like the stack seperators more than the decouplers. but i would seperate the csm from the stack and it would start spinning uncontrollably.

Well loaded this rocket up put it on the launch pad checked the map and saw that hey im in a pretty good position for a single burn to munar intercept if this rocket can perform like the Saturn V. started the launch no just like you have it in the file no mods burned through first and second stages by the time the third stage was almost burned through wasn't sure if id make it but just as it died i had munar intercept total burn time was just over 6:30 minutes. opened up the shroud spun the cm around docked with the lander initiated a small correction burn to put the perapsis at 100K then coasted the rest of the way burned to a perfect 101X101 km orbit transferred 2 kerbals to the lander and started my decent. after landing the kerbals got out stretched thier legs a bit jumped back in and took off leaving the landing gear behind that was very cool btw. docked in orbit with the cm transferred kerbals and remaining fuel to the cm and burned opposite side of the mun to hit kerbin influence once inside burned again to lower perapsis to 30K dropped the lander (realize this isn't how it was done in the actual appollo missions just wanted to keep at least the lander from becoming debris. after getting close to kerbin burned the rest of my fuel to lower my interface speed and dropped the fuel tank. hit the atmo at just over 2.4K ms after the flames died and the shock cone died out (have far installed) popped the chutes and landed nice. I love this rocket :)

Edited by toril

No i have no problem with a standard docking procedure, my Mun ship is also a clonepollo type. the problem is that the stack is terribley unstable, and i dont know i just like the stack seperators more than the decouplers. but i would seperate the csm from the stack and it would start spinning uncontrollably.

Hmm that's odd, never happened for me. I'll run a few test flights and see if I can pin down why. A good trick with KSP if you want to kill ROT on all vessels is quickly speed up time one notch and back down, but agree it's better if the ship doesn't do it in the first place!

Well loaded this rocket up put it on the launch pad checked the map and saw that hey im in a pretty good position for a single burn to munar intercept if this rocket can perform like the Saturn V. started the launch no just like you have it in the file no mods burned through first and second stages by the time the third stage was almost burned through wasn't sure if id make it but just as it died i had munar intercept total burn time was just over 6:30 minutes. opened up the shroud spun the cm around docked with the lander initiated a small correction burn to put the perapsis at 100K then coasted the rest of the way burned to a perfect 101X101 km orbit transferred 2 kerbals to the lander and started my decent. after landing the kerbals got out stretched thier legs a bit jumped back in and took off leaving the landing gear behind that was very cool btw. docked in orbit with the cm transferred kerbals and remaining fuel to the cm and burned opposite side of the mun to hit kerbin influence once inside burned again to lower perapsis to 30K dropped the lander (realize this isn't how it was done in the actual appollo missions just wanted to keep at least the lander from becoming debris. after getting close to kerbin burned the rest of my fuel to lower my interface speed and dropped the fuel tank. hit the atmo at just over 2.4K ms after the flames died and the shock cone died out (have far installed) popped the chutes and landed nice. I love this rocket :)

Glad you are enjoying the mission! The lander has a probe core so it can be de-orbited back to crash into the Mun with it's, just like Apollo, remaining rcs fuel is usually enough to do this. Not sure If I remembered to put one on the Third stage to crash it into the Mun as well... I'll add it to the next one if not.

I feel you, if I lost my save, stuff would get broken in my room. I have currently 47 flights in progress, and they are all doing something or being part of a settlement. Now that I think about it...[hurries off to do a backup].

On another order of business, seeing that last picture I like the lander a bit more. The descent stage is awesome, that's for sure.

Rune. Hope you recover soon.

I feel you, if I lost my save, stuff would get broken in my room. I have currently 47 flights in progress, and they are all doing something or being part of a settlement. Now that I think about it...[hurries off to do a backup].

Make sure you don't make my mistake and keep your backup save in a subfolder inside the main save folder! KSP deletes everything inside the folder if you delete your savegame.... put it in your documents instead!

On another order of business, seeing that last picture I like the lander a bit more. The descent stage is awesome, that's for sure. Rune. Hope you recover soon.

Glad you like it!, got some upgrades lined up for the mark 2. Stronger legs for a start, these tend to wobble a bit, and the ladder isn't much use!

i really like the idea, its let down by the fairings (stock panels) looking so clunky.

Not your fault obviously!

Yet again there are mystery " new parts" in the next update! as usual I will have my fingers crossed for fairings!... although they probably won't be much help as I need them a little bigger than standard size for this rocket (needs to be the total width including the radial tanks).

If anyone is interested... I'm finding my new Jool V rocket to be quite versatile. Here it is lifting an entire space station in a single launch!

screenshot713_zpsf66802d7.jpg

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/28953-0-19-Station-Kit-Mark-2!-Large-single-launch-station-%28in-a-box!%29-on-Jool-V-rocket

My next stage of rocket development is my new Jool 1b light rocket designed for orbital launches... just got some bugs to iron out!

I have a High end Gaming Rig-

It cried when I launched this :)

But man what a beauty once she got going!

lol yeah, it has a lot of physics calculations to do with all the tanks, I have a 6 core running at 4.2, 8 gig memory and a geforce 260gtx (factory overclocked... not a bad card).

I have max physics delta time set to 0.03 as I prefer smooth and slow motion to losing frame rate. It runs quite smoothly but at about 3 realtime seconds to ever game second at launch, dropping to 2 seconds per second at about the time you separate the first stage and hitting smooth realtime on the third stage.

I can't remember the last time i made a ship that didn't push my computer ;)... I get carried away in the VAB!

Wow... I go on holiday for a week, then come back and find this beauty waiting to be flown. Just gorgeous, Mulbin! Hopefully this creation of yours will be more tolerant of my sloppy flying. :cool:

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Wow... I go on holiday for a week, then come back and find this beauty waiting to be flown. Just gorgeous, Mulbin! Hopefully this creation of yours will be more tolerant of my sloppy flying. :cool:

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Compared to my usual ships this is much more forgiving on fuel, don't be surprised if you jettison stages that still have fuel in them! Just make sure you read the instructions at the start of this post to avoid ship wobbling!

Wow. Really cool. I like the idea of leaving a part of the lander behind, like how the Apollo astronauts did. Nice job.

I always make 2 stage landers... I like to leave something behind as a reminder! When 0.20 comes out they will have flags next to them too!