[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

Time to update Luna LK lander and Duna LK-1 (I finaly got Duna LK-1 to land, ascent and rendezvous back with CM - now Im waiting for return window) with new rovers and space race can begin again!

Despite the fact that I don't like the main rocket too much .....because I try to avoid the "part clipping" when it is possible....the lander looks really awesome

To be honest there isn't much extreme clipping on the rocket, the radial tanks are only squished in a bit.... nothing is hidden "inside" of anything else. In fact the most extreme clipping of the whole ship is on the lander upper stage's fuel tanks.

Clipping is a default part of the game and essential for creating pretty ships... after all real spacecraft use "clipping" so why shouldn't we? :)

Clipping and Clustering... Spacex is cheating! :D

Falcon-9-Rocket-in-the-Hangar-660x332.jpg

Now that is proper LM. I think your work on Apollo replicas is done, sir :0.0:. Now go do the full Apollo Applications program, including the cancelled missions. In fact, since I'm finally getting back to my gaming rig this weekend, I think I'm going to take you Saturn V and start myself.

Edit: Minor hint: Have you thought about setting up the Munar launch as an action group? I imagine the staging would get messed up by then, and if you have fuel left in the lower tanks and such, it would be convenient.

Rune. Bravo!

Edited by Rune

To be honest there isn't much extreme clipping on the rocket, the radial tanks are only squished in a bit.... nothing is hidden "inside" of anything else. In fact the most extreme clipping of the whole ship is on the lander upper stage's fuel tanks.

Clipping is a default part of the game and essential for creating pretty ships... after all real spacecraft use "clipping" so why shouldn't we? :)

Clipping and Clustering... Spacex is cheating! :D

Falcon-9-Rocket-in-the-Hangar-660x332.jpg

Oh please don't take it as an offense! I really like your ships (you know that ;) )

And I totally agree that sometimes clipping is necessary to build pretty spacecrafts ....otherwise you always end up with monster ships like .....this :

7eXUt.jpg

;)

Oh please don't take it as an offense!

I didn't! The internet needs a tone of voice as my sense of humour tends to get lost in the text! :D

On a practical note though I'm trying to cut clipping down to a minimum where possible as it can cause random ship rotation... a bit like kerbals on ladders sometimes makes the ship turn. It's a pain for docking.

on random ship rotation : i've found out that it's when we use partially rotated things as engine supports that we create random rotation - basically, when the engine start to thrust, it will 'bend' the part around it's contact point, and as it's partially rotated, it will shift it in a direction - and as all the engines will have the same bending, the rocket will start to rotate. (1 test you can do : between a Structural fuselage turned 90° to half clip in a larger tank as a engine support, and a Tail connector as engine support (tail connector which is naturally half clipped) - that's how i solved the problem for my Energia launcher :P

on random ship rotation : i've found out that it's when we use partially rotated things as engine supports that we create random rotation - basically, when the engine start to thrust, it will 'bend' the part around it's contact point, and as it's partially rotated, it will shift it in a direction - and as all the engines will have the same bending, the rocket will start to rotate. (1 test you can do : between a Structural fuselage turned 90° to half clip in a larger tank as a engine support, and a Tail connector as engine support (tail connector which is naturally half clipped) - that's how i solved the problem for my Energia launcher :P

Actually the bug I mean happens without any rockets firing at all. You can make your ship perfectly still (putting on time acceleration does this very well) then just sit and watch... after a few seconds it very slowly starts to turn on its own without any input.... and gets faster and faster. Only happens sometimes with ships with heavy clipping.

I've had the problem with rockets turning my ships too... my Jool Ib was terrible for spinning due to the rockets bending!

i have a question on the service module, why not clip the engine a bit into it ? appolo's services modules just show the bell nozzle at the end of the service module :)

I may just do that... in fact I'm not sure why I didn't!

Some thoughts and issues:

-Noticed the lander cans are upside down, but I guess that's so the kerbals can get in and out of the hatches so I don't mind.

-Rover is very top heavy. This may be the fault of how KSP handles rovers through. I hit an invisible bump on the mun (or maybe a space kraken tentacle). Trying to get the kerbals to flip it resulted in the solar panel breaking and killing the rover. Luckily I was only a km away from the landing site but it still stunk that was the max distance I was able to cover.

-I think you needed to add an action group to detach the escape tower. I couldn't find a way to activate it while in orbit and for some reason moving stages around is iffy for KSP at the moment (move a stage down and it fuses the parts with the last stage).

-Need to add a launch guide. Initial launch with a gravity turn at ~10km resulted in me at the 3rd stage with only an AP of 70km and not enough thrust to escape. 5km G turn start solved this issue thankfully. Handles well on assent, too.

Some thoughts and issues:

-Noticed the lander cans are upside down, but I guess that's so the kerbals can get in and out of the hatches so I don't mind.

-Rover is very top heavy. This may be the fault of how KSP handles rovers through. I hit an invisible bump on the mun (or maybe a space kraken tentacle). Trying to get the kerbals to flip it resulted in the solar panel breaking and killing the rover. Luckily I was only a km away from the landing site but it still stunk that was the max distance I was able to cover.

-I think you needed to add an action group to detach the escape tower. I couldn't find a way to activate it while in orbit and for some reason moving stages around is iffy for KSP at the moment (move a stage down and it fuses the parts with the last stage).

-Need to add a launch guide. Initial launch with a gravity turn at ~10km resulted in me at the 3rd stage with only an AP of 70km and not enough thrust to escape. 5km G turn start solved this issue thankfully. Handles well on assent, too.

Yep... cans have to be that way to get the hatches at the bottom! Will tweak the rover for the next release is possible. Launch tower staging is messed up... also fixed for Munbug VII.. was supposed to stage at the same time as second stage separation.

Good to know it can turn at 5k, I usually turn at 10k.

Ohhhhh... I've just worked out what people mean about clipping "cheat"... it's an option in the debug console. Just to confirm I do not ever use the debug to turn off clipping... all of my ships are made using the vab without cheats!

Just wondering, is anyone else having issues with one of the 4 panels covering the LM not separating? The only way I can get it to detach is to time warp so it passes through the LM. It seems to have a probe core connected to it, which may be the issue. You can see what I mean here:

XDPxdYi.png

I was also wondering if there was any particular reason the LM descent engine is on a decoupler. I've accidentally jettisoned it a number if times and ruined a few missions.

Just wondering, is anyone else having issues with one of the 4 panels covering the LM not separating? The only way I can get it to detach is to time warp so it passes through the LM. It seems to have a probe core connected to it, which may be the issue. You can see what I mean here:

XDPxdYi.png

I was also wondering if there was any particular reason the LM descent engine is on a decoupler. I've accidentally jettisoned it a number if times and ruined a few missions.

I have noticed one stick a bit, but not get stuck.... I'll make adjustments for the next one. A problem if the core is also detaching as that is designed to crash the third stage into the Mun.

The engine is on a decoupler to prevent it from taking fuel from the tank it is connected to. Decouplers don't have cross feed.... without it the tanks would empty in the wrong order. I thought I had put the decoupler stage right at the top but I may have forgotten, just move it right to the top of the staging order and it will never happen.

I have noticed one stick a bit, but not get stuck.... I'll make adjustments for the next one. A problem if the core is also detaching as that is designed to crash the third stage into the Mun.

The engine is on a decoupler to prevent it from taking fuel from the tank it is connected to. Decouplers don't have cross feed.... without it the tanks would empty in the wrong order. I thought I had put the decoupler stage right at the top but I may have forgotten, just move it right to the top of the staging order and it will never happen.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

Love the Craft. Modified it to use some KW Rocketry items as well as changed the launcher to keep all debris out of orbit (still need to test it after translunar injection)

H1Vm3iw.png

US0svMk.png

Hbugz6G.png

Question: How do you make your fairings/shrouds with the structural panels? I find my own construction method to be a bit inelegant, because they're all connected radially to my rocket, and only attached to each other by struts.

changed the launcher to keep all debris out of orbit (still need to test it after translunar injection)

It shouldn't leave any debris other than the shroud panels... although I think there may be a problem with the core on the third stage (which should allow you to crash it into the Mun) which seems to be detaching with the shroud rather than staying in place. I'll fix it for the next one.

Question: How do you make your fairings/shrouds with the structural panels? I find my own construction method to be a bit inelegant, because they're all connected radially to my rocket, and only attached to each other by struts.

Most of them are simply joined to each other end to end. They are very stable and don't require reenforcement.