[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

lots.... I think about 750... but a lot of this is in the early stages. I recommend going into your options and sliding the physics delta time slider right over to the right hand side (like I do!)... this will put the ship in slow motion during the early stages rather than dropping the frame rate. Mine runs at about 1/3 realtime at launch speeding up to realtime by the time I have dropped the second stage.

If you have 4+ gigs of memory (ksp only see's 4gig so any more is pointless) at an average speed (mine is 1333mhz) and a processor (again doesn't matter how many cores with KSP - it only uses one) running at 3.5ghz upwards you should still get this bird in the air in slow-mo.

Did I miss Munbug VI? Guess I did. Oh well, AWESOME!

Ha, yes... the download is still available on the starting post. It's very similar to VII though but has slightly lower DV and struggles to make LOI with the third stage. VII is basically VI with the bugs ironed out.

Just an update on the guy posting youtubes of Munbug as "his lander"... he has posted a weak explanation and keeps saying that we have spoken. For the record, we have not spoken. I wasn't really that fussed about it until I found out he was a liar as well as a plagiarist.

The thread with "his lander"... "based" on mine.

Edit: Have now spoken to him, apologies made, water under bridge... sometimes you have to make allowances your youth!... I should be flattered my stuff is sought after ;)

Edited by Mulbin

Awesome! Can't wait to play it. :)

Playing it now... with O2, advanced electrics, chatterer set to Apollo recordings... tough mission but seems to be going ok again! This will make three successful test flights :)

Download now available on Kerbal Spaceport for those who had problems with Mediafire!

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/munbug-vii-stock-apollo-replica-jool-v-rocket-csm-lander-buggy/

Main post updated.

Holy lick. That's not even clever clipping anymore, this is crazy. I swear to god I thought your engines were modded parts until I realized the CSM engine's is actually a skipper clipped all the way through the craft. Wow seriously, that's intense. Awesome job.

Spaceport version has a mechjeb part ar202

Bah... uploaded the weight test version... will replace!

Edit: Updated without the mechjeb.

Edited by Mulbin

For those of us without MechJeb, what's a good ascent profile to fly this beast manually? Every time I try to get to orbit, the poodle doesn't have the oomph to accelerate me fast enough to stay out of atmo, even if I augment with RCS thrusters.

[Wall-o-text warning] IIRC I burned straight up to 8000. Then pitch over 10* (not 10* above the horizon, 10* from vertical) till 1st stage burnout. Ignite the second stage and loosely follow prograde to 45* pitch and hold it until 35000. Then pitch to 25* above horizon, and hold until flame out. you should be moving about 1850m/s with an apoapsis of around 53000-58000m. 3rd stage ignition continues on the 25* pitch from the last stage and pushes apoapsis up to 73000, pitch to keep apoapsis in front of you and it should be about 75000 upon circularization all with "1" burn. When I used this I had 120 Fuel left in the 3rd stage after an 860 m\s burn for TMI.

Edit: Oh yeah, Full throttle all the way for the first 2 stages and obviously the poodle stage.

Edited by wudupdogz

[Wall-o-text warning] IIRC I burned straight up to 8000. Then pitch over 10* (not 10* above the horizon, 10* from vertical) till 1st stage burnout. Ignite the second stage and loosely follow prograde to 45* pitch and hold it until 35000. Then pitch to 25* above horizon, and hold until flame out. you should be moving about 1850m/s with an apoapsis of around 53000-58000m. 3rd stage ignition continues on the 25* pitch from the last stage and pushes apoapsis up to 73000, pitch to keep apoapsis in front of you and it should be about 75000 upon circularization all with "1" burn. When I used this I had 120 Fuel left in the 3rd stage after an 860 m\s burn for TMI.

Edit: Oh yeah, Full throttle all the way for the first 2 stages and obviously the poodle stage.

Beat me to it! That's spot on for the ascent profile.

For those of us without MechJeb, what's a good ascent profile to fly this beast manually? Every time I try to get to orbit, the poodle doesn't have the oomph to accelerate me fast enough to stay out of atmo, even if I augment with RCS thrusters.

You're AP must be too close when you switch to third stage... try using wudupdogz profile which should keep it nicely ahead of you.

I wonder about the ascent profile too. I tried to replace the 3rd stage engine with another Skipper, but I couldn't get it back together again ;)

I wouldn't bother, the skipper is far too heavy and inefficient, you won't make TMI

Edited by Mulbin

using a skipper for third stage require to redesign the whole rocket - because you'll need much more fuel in the third stage, which makes a necessity to redesign at least the second stage. and in the end, you will still lack oomph (as the third stage will be heavier ^^)

Looking forward to trying out the improvements, Mulbin! Even though the full vehicle does turn my rig into a shambling laggapotamus. :D

I am trying this rocket, but unfortunately at the second stage it seems to have no directional control. It just slowly spins no matter how I try to control it. Is it because I have FAR installed?

I am trying this rocket, but unfortunately at the second stage it seems to have no directional control. It just slowly spins no matter how I try to control it. Is it because I have FAR installed?

Possibly... I don't use FAR so I can't really say. Any mod that alters drag might prevent rockets with limited fuel reaching orbit though as they change the parameters of the game. The second stage needs to be controlled carefully at the best of times as there is only gimballing on the central mainsail, not on the 4 other rockets... if it goes to far off course it could lose control.

Possibly... I don't use FAR so I can't really say. Any mod that alters drag might prevent rockets with limited fuel reaching orbit though as they change the parameters of the game. The second stage needs to be controlled carefully at the best of times as there is only gimballing on the central mainsail, not on the 4 other rockets... if it goes to far off course it could lose control.

Has to be FAR. Works perfectly fine for me. Seems quite underpowered though :huh: