[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

Yippy cool thanks Mulbin and its Friday tomorrow and its on the space port and I'm gona have soooo much fun playing with Munbug VII and and and I'm excited.

Good luck!... have a read through the recent posts as there is some good advice on the best angles to get it into orbit with enough fuel to spare.

wudupdogz, thanks for your ascent guide.

You're welcome. It was a matter of failing to orbit a few times, learning the delta-v and TWR for each stage and then adjusting the ascent angles to keep the Ap in front of you until circularization.

Still the most excellent and detailed reproduction (and it just keeps getting better)!

and wudupdogz, thanks for your ascent guide.

Thanks! I'm currently working on Munbug VIII, sgt_flyer inspired me to develop my saturn V with the great version he has just released. I've already perfected the new first and second stages and I'm currently bogged down in third stage / fairing development. Hit some strange space kraken force bugs where the ship twists itself in knots and explodes as soon as you retrieve the lander. but I'll get the ironed out soon enough! Hoping to have enough DV in the VIII to not only get you to the mun but also to get a free return trajectory from the third stage.

When I try flying this vehicle, my framerate is so bad that the thing falls apart on the launch pad. I'm running an i5 2500k at 4.2 GHz and a GTX 780 SuperClocked. I tried a fresh install with no mods or anything and got the same result. I have 8GB RAM and nearly 4GB free when it's running. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

When I try flying this vehicle, my framerate is so bad that the thing falls apart on the launch pad. I'm running an i5 2500k at 4.2 GHz and a GTX 780 SuperClocked. I tried a fresh install with no mods or anything and got the same result. I have 8GB RAM and nearly 4GB free when it's running. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Try going into your options and setting the "max physics delta time" fully to the right.

Good luck!... have a read through the recent posts as there is some good advice on the best angles to get it into orbit with enough fuel to spare.

Thanks will do. Actually have done ;). By the way I have also really enjoyed Acient Launchers by maro. Great thread with wiki links. I might even remember a good proportion of what I have learnt as I have "done" them now, almost up to the Apollo missions with maro's vertions. I have tried to replicate as close as possible to the historical accounts in his wiki links.

Oh just watched the movie Apollo 18. Not a bad movie but spoiler.....

now keep seeing Mun rocks move, just as they pass out of screen shot. Lol.

Try going into your options and setting the "max physics delta time" fully to the right.

I tried this and going up to 4.5 GHz but no dice ;.;. Can anyone just tell me how much fuel/oxidizer is left in the third stage after getting into a circular Kerbin orbit at ~120 km? I should be able to handle just the third stage and above, and all the most interesting parts of the mission (to me anyway) happen after Kerbin orbit.

Thanks

Sorry to bug ya again about Munbug VII. As a nuffer I am struggling and can not get the spaceport vertion of Munbug VII even with nhnifong's assistance in the "How to" threads to work. It is in a .txt format, which nhnifong says is difficult to convert into a KSP mac friendly format. I tried just removing the .txt and then copy and paste into the VAB folder of one of my saves but it still is a picture of the page with text lines on it and dosnt show up when in the VAB. Would it be possible to put Munbug VII into the spaceport as a craft file that is compatable for nuffer mac users like me. Pritty space ship please.

Sorry to bug ya again about Munbug VII. As a nuffer I am struggling and can not get the spaceport vertion of Munbug VII even with nhnifong's assistance in the "How to" threads to work. It is in a .txt format, which nhnifong says is difficult to convert into a KSP mac friendly format. I tried just removing the .txt and then copy and paste into the VAB folder of one of my saves but it still is a picture of the page with text lines on it and dosnt show up when in the VAB. Would it be possible to put Munbug VII into the spaceport as a craft file that is compatable for nuffer mac users like me. Pritty space ship please.

I'm afraid it already is in the correct format... it's your mac that is having the problem. At present when you download it your mac is changing the filename from "munbugvii.craft" to "munbugvii.craft.txt" or possibly "munbugvii.txt" - it's trying to be clever, it thinks "that looks like a text file, i'd better be helpful and rename it so it works in text programs!"

not sure why he would say its "hard to convert"... it doesn't need any sort of converting, just renaming.

you need to rename it to .craft, getting rid of the .txt bit. Change the name to munbugvii.craft and see if that works... if not try the next stage below!

If the name already just says "munbugvii.craft" and it's still not working then the problem is probably that your mac is set to hide file extensions... in this case Basically the file is really called "munbugvii.craft.txt" but all your mac is letting you see is "munbugvii.craft" and it's hiding the bit that says.txt on the end.

To sort this you just need to tell your mac to stop hiding file extensions from you! Instructions here -

http://www.fileinfo.com/help/mac_show_extensions

Once you've done this should be no problem changing filenames to .craft

Edited by Mulbin

I tried this and going up to 4.5 GHz but no dice ;.;. Can anyone just tell me how much fuel/oxidizer is left in the third stage after getting into a circular Kerbin orbit at ~120 km? I should be able to handle just the third stage and above, and all the most interesting parts of the mission (to me anyway) happen after Kerbin orbit.

Thanks

Was the frame rate still really choppy? or did it just go into slow motion?

Got me scrathing my head what the problem is with your computer... I run it fine with 3.8ghz on a geforce 260. what speed is your memory?

EDIT: Also are you using any mods? Some mods cause massive lag with .20 due to errors - Sub assembly loader for example needs a patch or it kills your framerate. Open your debug consol in game (CTRL ALT F12) and see if any errors are popping up on the monitor.

Edited by Mulbin

Was the frame rate still really choppy? or did it just go into slow motion?

Got me scrathing my head what the problem is with your computer... I run it fine with 3.8ghz on a geforce 260. what speed is your memory?

EDIT: Also are you using any mods? Some mods cause massive lag with .20 due to errors - Sub assembly loader for example needs a patch or it kills your framerate. Open your debug consol in game (CTRL ALT F12) and see if any errors are popping up on the monitor.

It's a consistent 8 fps according to Fraps. This happens even with a fresh install (Steam version). There are a couple errors. I don't know if the are significant or not, so I took a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/IAfSDIy.jpg

The errors are "WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function" x4 and "NpScene::createJoint: desc.isValid() fails!" x2.

EDIT - Forgot to answer the RAM question. 1600 MHz DDR3. This: http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9.html

Edited by wilywampa

I'm afraid it already is in the correct format... it's your mac that is having the problem. At present when you download it your mac is changing the filename from "munbugvii.craft" to "munbugvii.craft.txt" or possibly "munbugvii.txt" - it's trying to be clever, it thinks "that looks like a text file, i'd better be helpful and rename it so it works in text programs!"

not sure why he would say its "hard to convert"... it doesn't need any sort of converting, just renaming.

you need to rename it to .craft, getting rid of the .txt bit. Change the name to munbugvii.craft and see if that works... if not try the next stage below!

If the name already just says "munbugvii.craft" and it's still not working then the problem is probably that your mac is set to hide file extensions... in this case Basically the file is really called "munbugvii.craft.txt" but all your mac is letting you see is "munbugvii.craft" and it's hiding the bit that says.txt on the end.

To sort this you just need to tell your mac to stop hiding file extensions from you! Instructions here -

http://www.fileinfo.com/help/mac_show_extensions

Once you've done this should be no problem changing filenames to .craft

Thanks Mulbin you really are a champ. Bloody mac ;). I will get on to the link you suggest and if I have any more self inflicted issues,i will not assume it is anything you have done. Apologies! I will endeavour to find any answers to my computer problems by spending more time researching and trial and error my self. I was just a bit too keen to play with your craft.

Thanks for your patience and assistance, look forward to giving a report on a successful Munbug mission in the near future.

It worked!!! YOU SO TALENTED MULBIN

Edited by bonyetty
It worked

I'm having problems getting the rocket to orbit reliably using Mechjeb. I'm using a macbook pro to play the game so even with the physics tuned all the way to the right it is slightly laggy so I have not tried manually flying it up to orbit yet. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Mechjeb seems to want to constantly burn to round out the orbit, no burn to raise apoapsis and then coast and burn again. Just one long burn.

I'm having problems getting the rocket to orbit reliably using Mechjeb. I'm using a macbook pro to play the game so even with the physics tuned all the way to the right it is slightly laggy so I have not tried manually flying it up to orbit yet. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Mechjeb seems to want to constantly burn to round out the orbit, no burn to raise apoapsis and then coast and burn again. Just one long burn.

I dont use mechjeb so I can't really help. I know it can't usually handle my rockets though, it doesn't really have the reflexes needed to control such a big, ungainly rocket. Someone might have an ascent profile that works for mechjeb though!

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!

OK I've just hit a major goal today with the Munbug development. Munbug VIII just did this... purely with the third stage!

screenshot8_zps2f95c0c2.jpg

For those not familiar with the Apollo flight plans, what you are looking at is a Free Return Trajectory... just like the real thing :)

Munbug VI / VII didn't quite have the DV to achieve this (only standard Munar intercept). This now means I'm getting pretty close to the authentic Apollo flight plan... the third stage even has a tiny drop of fuel left to crash it into the moon!

OTHER NEWS

Completely new fairing system!

When you jettison the fairings for LEM capture Munbug VIII will have no decoupler between the CSM and lander... at all.... not even a hidden one... or an exploding one... And won't be connected by a docking port either. In fact it will work very much like the real Apollo.

Edited by Mulbin

Amazing!

Really awesome

Thanks!

Apollo 11 and earlier used a free return trajectory, but later missions used a hybrid trajectory to save extra fuel for a plane change to land at different latitudes.

http://history.nasa.gov/afj/launchwindow/lw1.html

Ohhhh... I haven't even begun to test plane changes yet lol. I wonder if it can hit the pole :)

More on the new fairing system... here's a little teaser of my new system, as you can see once jettisoned the CSM is not attached to the Lander and yet has no decoupler between them! (before you say it sgt_flyer... I didn't use your method either :D )

Still WIP... as you can see the fairings are catching a little after jettison, I'll iron that out for a smoother separation before release.

don't worry mulbin :) that's great that there's so much ways to do a single thing :) that's how we will be able to make more complex stock mecanisms :)

plus, our fairings works in very differents ways so ^^

- at least, it looks like you have the same problem as me after decoupling :) the service module start to drift sideways :P

Edited by sgt_flyer