[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

My apologies to your computer.... about 850...!!

Computer's fine. Trouble is, do the gimbals need to be locked on all four outboard engines or just the two? Locking all of the gimbals results in loss of control, and leaving the two gimbals the way they are produces an optimal trajectory. Is this a problem?

Computer's fine. Trouble is, do the gimbals need to be locked on all four outboard engines or just the two? Locking all of the gimbals results in loss of control, and leaving the two gimbals the way they are produces an optimal trajectory. Is this a problem?

Way ahead of you :) but I forgot to update the main post! - it actually now only locks two gimbals (hotkey 1) leaving the other three operational.

which conics draw mode did you use too see that return trajectory?

I haven't altered it so whichever mode KSP defaults to when installed.

How exactly do you deploy the MMSEP?

The hotkeys jettison them from the lander. Each MMSEP has a probe core so you simply roll them to where you want them using the probe's torque. Careful with your solar panels though!

It's a consistent 8 fps according to Fraps. This happens even with a fresh install (Steam version). There are a couple errors. I don't know if the are significant or not, so I took a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/IAfSDIy.jpg

The errors are "WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function" x4 and "NpScene::createJoint: desc.isValid() fails!" x2.

EDIT - Forgot to answer the RAM question. 1600 MHz DDR3. This: http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9.html

Sorry missed this post!... this is very odd, your rig is way better than mine and I get about 12fps at launch, rising to seamless in orbit. Might be worth asking in the help forum as I'm out of ideas :/

Every time I think you've reached the pinnacle of design excellence, you turn around and create something even better. Bravo.

I think I'm done for a little while.... really want to make Horizon II as my next project, been a while since I've flown anywhere but the Mun... In fact I still haven't been to half the planets in KSP at all!

Ack, the inboard engine on the first stage needs to shut down a bit early! That is, if you want a completely authentic Apollo-style flight profile.

Also, could you please post or PM some flight instructions? I completely failed at flying it and I need a little help.

Edited by Gojira

Ack, the inboard engine on the first stage needs to shut down a bit early! That is, if you want a completely authentic Apollo-style flight profile.

Also, could you please post or PM some flight instructions? I completely failed at flying it and I need a little help.

Unfortunately in KSP early shutdown will just mean you don't have enough DV.

Basic ascent - Begin gravity turn to 10 degrees from vertical at 8,000 meters, follow prograde marker gradually down to 45 degrees until AP is 35,000, then gradually move down towards horizon. basically you want to finish second stage with an AP of 60,000 about a minute ahead of you. Kerbin orbit should be between 70 and 71 km... no higher. likewise Mun orbit MUST be 29km for the lander to work, you need to burn all the way down to the surface.

Could you make a British flag in that style?

I'll have a think... idea of my flags is to look similar while not actually being the same. The Union Jack is a trickier flag to simplify.

I forgot to mention a key feature - NO MORE DEBRIS!... I've added more detail to the main post.

This is because of the Free Return Trajectory - Obviously it allows you to return home if you abort your mission, however the more interesting effect is that you will leave absolutely no debris in orbit. All fairings, the second stage etc will also be on an FRT... so will crash back into Kerbin.

Also the LM Ascent stage now has a probe core which allows you to take control and use remaining rcs to crash it into the Mun.

The only debris this mission will leave if you fly it correctly are the flag, lander base, buggy and MMSEP... just like the real Apollo.

Sorry missed this post!... this is very odd, your rig is way better than mine and I get about 12fps at launch, rising to seamless in orbit. Might be worth asking in the help forum as I'm out of ideas :/

No problem. I changed my max physics integration step to 0.002 seconds to get really accurate physics. It runs at probably 3 wall clock seconds per physics second, but I don't mind because I think it's worth it for the physics accuracy, and it improves my framerate. And yeah, it gets better after dropping a couple stages.

Great work with the new version.

I'll have a think... idea of my flags is to look similar while not actually being the same. The Union Jack is a trickier flag to simplify.

One thought I had - just have the main, red St. George's cross on the diagonal white-on-blue St. Andrew's. Orrrr, abandoning the proportions of the original for something purely evocative, perhaps something like this super quick-and-dirty sketch? (You should probably extend the main arms out to the edges.)

not-jack_zps984012c8.jpg

(please, no one use this as-is, it's just a concept sketch and a jpg besides - I didn't even think to upload it as gif.)

Edited by Commander Zoom

I don't see why you have to orbit the Mun at 29km. I do my Mun orbit at around 12km.

You're welcome to try :).. once you have crashed into the surface at 200 meters a second a couple of times I recommend trying it at 29km. Like I say you will need to keep burning retrograde, 100% throttle, almost all the way down from 29k to stop in time.

I uploaded the landing operation, starting in parking orbit, to youtube. The landing burn starts at 10:25 at about 2.5km above "sea level." It took 11 minutes to land it, and I loved every second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yTKQWLTdII

I estimate about 234 "nominals" in that video.

Edited by Kosmo-not

Yeah... I do like the long landing procedure :)

2.5 km? That's way lower than standard... how much fuel did you have left in the upper tanks? Enough to get back up to orbit?

EDIT - Just watched your video through... you use a totally different landing technique to me! I burn from 29km all the way down... you take it down from 2.5km!! I think I need to experiment a little with my own craft ;)

Edited by Mulbin

BUG REPORT -

Some people may notice an odd bug with KSP and my craft.... sometimes you can't retrieve the lander as the docking port is messed up - to fix, just quicksave then quickload and it should work fine.

Another KSP bug that may effect you is after retrieving, you may not be able to turn. Again a simple quicksave and quickload will fix this.

Will add this to main post.

Yeah... I do like the long landing procedure :)

2.5 km? That's lower than standard... how much fuel did you have left in the upper tanks? Enough to get back up to orbit?

Doesn't the ascent stage have its own fuel supply? That's what it looks like to me.

It had plenty of fuel to get to orbit.

Thinking about it more, you probably have fuel lines connected between the ascent stage and descent stage. I will brb and tell you how much fuel remained in the descent stage.

Descent stage starts with a total of 570 units of liquid fuel. I landed with 46.4 units (8.14%) of fuel remaining.

Edited by Kosmo-not