[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

I'm enjoying trying out Munbug VIII. A couple questions:

1) When I turn on ASAS on ascent to make the gravity turn at 8,000m, the ship immediately starts to roll. It's not that big a deal, but does make accomplishing the turn efficiently difficult. Am I doing something wrong? (I locked gimbals on the 2 engines via the action group key.)

2) Getting a proper FRT seems very finnicky. I'm using improved maneuver nodes so I can be very precise in setting up the maneuver node, but the launch time for the node has to be precise to within a second or so to get a return orbit with a low Munar peri and atmospheric Kerbin peri. Maybe y'all are just expert flyers, but I don't think I can be so precise without MechJeb, or without some correction burns (for which I don't have fuel.) Again, am I doing something wrong?

3) Addendum to 3: I run out of fuel on the 3rd stage with about 20 m/s to go in my transfer burn. Clearly all the fuel efficiencies are cut very close. If I transfer fuel from the lander (through the gap in the armor plates?) will I still have enough to land on the Mun and return?

1) Yes... it does that a little. I probably won't bother trying to fix it for Munbug IX though as the new ASAS system being released with KSP .21 should hopefully fix the problem.

2) Munbug IX (out very soon!) will have a little more DV in the third stage to allow for a correction burn. For now though you can borrow some fuel from the CSM to make the burn (only needs a tiny bit) - after making the main transfer burn set up a correction node a few minuts ahead, play with adjusting the prograde/retrograde along with the RAD +/- until you get the desired Mun AP and Kerbin return intercept. For future reference always try to hit your nodes in the MIDDLE of the burn... so for instance with the 2 minute transfer burn from Kerbin to the Mun you want to start you burn a minute before you hit the node.

3) What Kosmo-not said... plenty of fuel in the CSM. Munbug IX will be much more forgiving on the third stage.

after making the main transfer burn set up a correction node a few minuts ahead, play with adjusting the prograde/retrograde along with the RAD +/- until you get the desired Mun AP and Kerbin return intercept.

Gotcha. Will keep trying. Thanks much for the reply!

Progress Update

Munbug IX very near completion. Will hopefully release it in the next day or two.

Manual is taking a little longer but here is what I have so far! Finished article will be compiled as a PDF for download (and printing if required).

hbg9.jpg

5k0v.jpg

6e72.jpg

lmkz.jpg

ke9f.jpg

gy1r.jpg

Edited by Mulbin

Very nice manual, it looks really cool! I love the coffee cup stains.

I did one some time ago with a cartoony "Acme Inc" theme (blue background, thick "chalk-like" white lines à la Wil E. Coyote), but it got wiped during the forum crash. And it didn't look as good as yours!

XD

EDIT : found it on my google drive!

1. I don't know why google messes up the preview (grayscale rover instead of colour)

2. Your manual looks definitely better!

3. But I still find my "crash" icon funny though... :D

Edited by el_coyoto

Progress Update

Munbug IX very near completion. Will hopefully release it in the next day or two.

Manual is taking a little longer but here is what I have so far! Finished article will be compiled as a PDF for download (and printing if required).

Dude, you are definitely our resident Apollo guy. That manual looks awesome! The font brought back happy times reading NASAS's mission plans... a shame that is so difficult now (the servers are closed for some nonsense paranoid technology protection legislation from Congress) :(

Anyhow, keep it up! And if you ever want to move in a new direction with Munbug, Here's my recommendation/wish: how about doing the proposed Venus Eve flyby mission of the Apollo Applications Program? The manual for that would be an advanced lesson in interplanetary flight, and a very cool read.

Edit:

You must spread around some reputation before giving it to Mulbin again

Rune. Is pretty amazed. :0.0:

Edited by Rune

Progress Update

ke9f.jpg

I love it, but the only thing is you are getting the wrong turn orbit in Mun.

I love it, but the only thing is you are getting the wrong turn orbit in Mun.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean... you mean the orbit is from east to west? That is correct for the Apollo missions.

diagram-of-apollo-11-route.jpg

UPDATE!!!!!

Munbug IX released! Main post updated.

You now have a lot more DV to play with attaining a free return, and a bit less fuel to land with!

Still working on the manual and will likely hold back a few days until the .21 patch comes out as it will alter the instructions on asas/gimbals.

I love the look of that design, shame my computer can't handle the part count. :(

WARNING: SHAMELESS PLUG IMMINENT: Your idea of deploying a version of ALSEP got me thinking, and I made a suggestion here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/39793-ALSEP-Long-term-scientific-legacy-of-manned-missions

Sorry! I'll delete the post if you mind the plug. :P

Quick suggestion, you know how there is a protective cover over the command pod the escape tower was strapped to, kind of like this. And that thing made orbit.

Nice rocket! I've played around with nosecones but never got anything I really liked the look of. Maybe for Munbug X but that will be a while as I'm moving over to developing Horizon II as it's waaaay overdue. Learned a lot from Munbug which I'll use to develop my fictional craft.

I love the look of that design, shame my computer can't handle the part count. :(

WARNING: SHAMELESS PLUG IMMINENT: Your idea of deploying a version of ALSEP got me thinking, and I made a suggestion here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/39793-ALSEP-Long-term-scientific-legacy-of-manned-missions

Sorry! I'll delete the post if you mind the plug. :P

I completely agree! This needs to be part of the campaign.

Still the best out there, keep up the good work

Thanks! I think I'm pretty happy with where Munbug IX is... will leave it a little while before I tinker again.

Wow. Love it and the previous versions. IX is awesome! Gotta take some time and work on Dunebug! Would love to see what you can do with all of the stuff you've managed in the Munbug versions.

Horizon II first... plan is that it will be capable of a Laythe return so will also be good for Duna. Then I might finally get round to fixing up Muna-LK3

Hey Mulbin, awesome job, once again. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to make a CSM-like vehicle that actually looks cool, especially one with LV-Ns. They all end up looking boring or just strange.

Hey Mulbin, awesome job, once again. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to make a CSM-like vehicle that actually looks cool, especially one with LV-Ns. They all end up looking boring or just strange.

I abandoned the LV-N a while back when I decided to make Munbug look like Apollo. You can sink it into other parts but it has quite a small nozzle so not ideal for apollo csms. Munbug 1-4 have nukes... also have a look at Dunebug II, they look quite good as partially clipped radials.

really looking forward to the Horizon update, cant wait

Hit a few snags with the design... will hold off for the update before proceeding as I'm hoping the new features may help with the design. Currently filling time before the update by making some Mercurys - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40286-Project-Moho-Accurate-Mercury-replica?p=517441#post517441

I can't tell if the Munbug IX has a mod engine on the CM. Can someone tell me?

-Thanks

Nope. It's just a skipper that's been clipped through the fuel tank.

Speaking of mods, is this possible to fly with FAR?

I abandoned the LV-N a while back when I decided to make Munbug look like Apollo. You can sink it into other parts but it has quite a small nozzle so not ideal for apollo csms. Munbug 1-4 have nukes... also have a look at Dunebug II, they look quite good as partially clipped radials.

I decided that the way to go was to hide them.

GxgFQKB.jpg

qpRhRW4.png

leR3t5w.png