[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

What kind of genius made the buggy deploy upside down....

Thank you for your constructive and polite feedback. Stand a kerbal underneath before deploying, it will stop it turtling.

Edited by Mulbin

jzmmylrnjjmt.png

lol... you're welcome to try, but the numbers don't lie! Remaining fuel in third stage is enough to get FRT to the Mun with a little spare. You might squeeze a Minmus mission out of it... but you may need to use some of the CM fuel to get there.

Also the lander would never get off of the surface of Duna as it has a very low TWR.

lol... you're welcome to try, but the numbers don't lie! Remaining fuel in third stage is enough to get FRT to the Mun with a little spare. You might squeeze a Minmus mission out of it... but you may need to use some of the CM fuel to get there.

Also the lander would never get off of the surface of Duna as it has a very low TWR.

Probably wouldn't take a huge modification to make it Dunable .. I don't remember what it uses for the CM engine but I bet if you swapped it out for a nuke and moved some of the fuel from the descent stage to the ascent stage you might just get it to work.

I tried your Apollo-like craft a few weeks ago but got dismayed when the CM and LM wouldn't dock. I bumped them together several times but they just wouldn't "mate". :( Sure was a pleasure to fly, though! Still made it into an Apollo 8 mission just to say I flew it. :D

Probably wouldn't take a huge modification to make it Dunable .. I don't remember what it uses for the CM engine but I bet if you swapped it out for a nuke and moved some of the fuel from the descent stage to the ascent stage you might just get it to work.

I tried your Apollo-like craft a few weeks ago but got dismayed when the CM and LM wouldn't dock. I bumped them together several times but they just wouldn't "mate". :( Sure was a pleasure to fly, though! Still made it into an Apollo 8 mission just to say I flew it. :D

That must have been Munbug VIII... the bug is fixed in IX. You can easily work around it though on Munbug VIII, just quicksave then quickload and the ports will work.

IX still has the odd bug where you can't turn after docking (a fault with KSP)... again just quicksave and quickload and it will turn again.

I am experiencing problems with .21 and munbug IX. The rocket which worked properly in .20.2 is now turning sideways and not turning towards manuver nodes. It is not wokring right. I think that a new munbug craft should be put up. I've also been using mechjeb and had to use hyperedit to get it into orbit

I am experiencing problems with .21 and munbug IX. The rocket which worked properly in .20.2 is now turning sideways and not turning towards manuver nodes. It is not wokring right. I think that a new munbug craft should be put up. I've also been using mechjeb and had to use hyperedit to get it into orbit

Welsome to the .21 ASAS... a new munbug wouldn't help. But it's ok, they have released a new patch which will hopefully fix it! Fingers crossed.

Ive been trying to fly the current Munbug and I've had no attitude control when the csm and Mem are docked making it rather difficult to get the space craft into orbit around the mun. Had this problem in 20.2 as well so i dont know what it is.

with 0.21... managed to fenagle it into some odd orbit. 77 km. took multiple on the fly adjustments of the ascent path using mech jeb... needless to say, the torque on the command pod(s) need to have torque off to make the craft safely launchable. at least thats what worked for me. great ship. impressive as always

Ive been trying to fly the current Munbug and I've had no attitude control when the csm and Mem are docked making it rather difficult to get the space craft into orbit around the mun. Had this problem in 20.2 as well so i dont know what it is.

Do you mean the bug where you can't turn after docking? Just quicksave (F5) then quickload (F9) and the ship will be able to turn again. This is a common bug with KSP, not Munbug.

with 0.21... managed to fenagle it into some odd orbit. 77 km. took multiple on the fly adjustments of the ascent path using mech jeb... needless to say, the torque on the command pod(s) need to have torque off to make the craft safely launchable. at least thats what worked for me. great ship. impressive as always

Working on Munbug X which will have more wheels to counter the pod torque, will get it published soon.

the craft is a slideshow for me. It took 1min to load also

Try going into your settings and sliding the Max Physics Delta Time bar fully to the right. If that doesn't help, try buying a better computer ;)

I am in 0.21 and I can not get it into the moon, when I stage for more fuel the lander separates? Is there no tutorial?

I'm still working on the manual, .21 has brought some changes to the way rockets fly but you can read a draft copy here.

This is so amazing!

Thanks!

What is MMSEP?

The ALSEP was the Apollo Lunar Surface Experiments Package (all the little bits of equipment they set up on the surface)

So the MMSEP is the Munbug Munar Surface Experiments Package!

What a beauty!! An amazing ship which dwalfs any ship I make what are you planning for the munbug X?

Need to get munbug X out soon... just need to find the time! Will basically just be a few changes to make more compatible with the new SAS and power systems.

I can't wait for Munbug X. I've been working hard with Munbug IX and haven't quite pulled off a completely successful mission, yet.

I am in 0.21 and I can not get it into the moon, when I stage for more fuel the lander separates? Is there no tutorial?

So it sounds like your problem is that the transfer stage doesn't have enough juice to complete the transfer. I've been having the same problem, though I'm getting closer with better launches. This ship is intended to make its entire transfer burn with the transfer stage. During the transfer, you're supposed decouple the command module, flip it around and dock to the lander, then release the now useless transfer stage. If the transfer stage comes up short, you have a few options.

1) You can adjust the staging mid-flight to drop the transfer stage and attempt to complete the transfer burn with the lander. But this will cause a problem when it comes time to land.

2) You can burn out the transfer stage, flip the command module around and extract the lander, then flip back around and complete the burn. It can be done, but it is a bit rough.

3) Flip the command module around while in orbit around Kerbin, and then use it to complete the burn when the transfer stage runs out. This has been the most successful option for me.

On my last attempt, I was about 100 dV shy of a complete transfer with my transfer stage. Having attempted option 2 before, I went ahead and flipped the command module while in orbit. Once docked, I made sure that the command module's engine was deactivated (don't want it fighting the transfer stage) and use the "control from here" option on the docking port on the lander to make sure my nav-ball was oriented the right way. Then I ran the transfer stage until it ran out, extracted the lander, re-enabled my engine, did the "control from here" thing on the command module and completed my burn. And there was one unanticipated bonus to flipping the command module while orbiting Kerbin. By shedding the fairings, I got back almost all of the 100 dV I needed for the transfer. I only needed to burn the command module for a couple of seconds to finish the maneuver. It would be a cheese move, but you could probably re-stage to fire the fairings before launch and save a bunch of dV on the way up.

So keep at it, man. You can do it, but it takes a bit of work.

Just testing out a more stable version for .21 it may be that quite a bit of fuel is wasted fighting munbug 9 into orbit with the weaker sas. I'll update when its ready.

Also its worth noting that the lander and cm are in no way attached to each other until you dock with it , the cm is attached to the fairings around the lander (just like the real apollo). So separating the lander early will just leave it floating around inside the fairing.

For the same reason firing your fairings before launch will mean the cm will fall off of the rocket!

Edited by Mulbin