[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

What's the part count on the Munbug X?

Somewhere between 850 and 900 parts. It runs ok on gaming PCs with the physics slider fully to the left at launch. Part count drops a lot after first couple of stages.

What about Munbug 13? Will the CSM explode or something? ;):D

No... but I'll be recreating the apollo 13 mission in detail for my space race thread when I get that far!

Ouhh... looking forward to that :D be happy that you made two small fuel tanks at the CSM so you can let one of them explode ;) But I think for something like this you'll need an updated Lander for three people?

Ouhh... looking forward to that :D be happy that you made two small fuel tanks at the CSM so you can let one of them explode ;) But I think for something like this you'll need an updated Lander for three people?

That's true... I'll think of something! I'm also using TAC life support so I'll rig something up to jettison O2 as well.

A huge thankyou to everyone who voted my lander into the number one spot on the latest of Xeldraks competitions!

...even if it seems some people are unhappy with me winning!

Whatever your opinion I'm very flattered to have won and you should check these competitions out for some really great design entries!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/48193-BSC-Two-stage-Lander-We-have-a-WINNER!

Not very happy about this, I'm guessing I didn't fly this ship well, but my CM needed help from the LM fuel supply to lower the orbit enough. The lander shares the same fuel for descent and ascent. Both modules have no fuel. Now I have to launch a rescue mission.

All the parts of it look amazing though, so I guess it's not that bad.

Not very happy about this, I'm guessing I didn't fly this ship well, but my CM needed help from the LM fuel supply to lower the orbit enough. The lander shares the same fuel for descent and ascent. Both modules have no fuel. Now I have to launch a rescue mission.

All the parts of it look amazing though, so I guess it's not that bad.

Keep practicing! This craft definitely has enough fuel... I must have completed an apollo mission about 40 times with Munbug. You should have 100% cm fuel when you intercept the Mun and only use about half of it to get into orbit around the Mun. Remaining cm fuel is to get home... shouldn't need any fuel taken from the lander.

It's an advanced craft but is great fun once you learn how to fly it!

PUBLIC RETRACTION!

Just a quick message to apologise to anyone who may have taken my "rant" seriously about the many requests not to use cyrillic letters in my logos. It was meant to be funny... I'm British, that's what our sense of humour is like, Just watch our comedy. It rains here a lot.

Anyway, the comment is gone! Thanks again for all the downloads!

I must say ~4000Kn for a second stage seems very high to me. In my Apollo replica I tried to stick to the (relative) power of the original assuming a 1500Kn engine is a match for an F1A producing 1,500,000lb or thrust this would mean a second stage using 5 220kn engines to match the 5 x j2 Apollo second stage with a final 220kn j2 for the third stage. I have found this to be enough power for a mun mission and means I can lift off with a TWR of 1.37. I must confess to using procedural tanks and fairings though which may be where your extra weight is coming from.

I hope this helps your development of a more accurate replica.

EDIT :That said, after flying your craft I have found the fuel margins to be very well set. Not much fuel left on any stage.

Edited by John FX

PUBLIC RETRACTION!

Just a quick message to apologise to anyone who may have taken my "rant" seriously about the many requests not to use cyrillic letters in my logos. It was meant to be funny... I'm British, that's what our sense of humour is like, Just watch our comedy. It rains here a lot.

Anyway, the comment is gone! Thanks again for all the downloads!

I am also british and as such I crave disappointment ;)

EDIT: You should use comic sans if they don`t like your font. That will teach them...

Edited by John FX

I must say ~4000Kn for a second stage seems very high to me. In my Apollo replica I tried to stick to the (relative) power of the original assuming a 1500Kn engine is a match for an F1A producing 1,500,000lb or thrust this would mean a second stage using 5 220kn engines to match the 5 x j2 Apollo second stage with a final 220kn j2 for the third stage. I have found this to be enough power for a mun mission and means I can lift off with a TWR of 1.37. I must confess to using procedural tanks and fairings though which may be where your extra weight is coming from.

I hope this helps your development of a more accurate replica.

EDIT :That said, after flying your craft I have found the fuel margins to be very well set. Not much fuel left on any stage.

Yes the fuel margins should be pretty close! I'll be making some major changes soon for Munbug XI which will mean some reworking of fuel/staging to allow for some lighter components.

Progress update - Munbug XI

A complete change of direction! Much as I like the Munbug lander I've always wished that it was smaller - it is oversized for the CSM and also pokes out of the fairings.

Soon I will release a new version with a much smaller and more accurately shaped lander! This will still have 2 crew, a rover and some experiment packages.

83zm.jpg

Edited by Mulbin